What About Us?

Vaccinated Jedi

So I was delighted to see TDN's news page about the freebie thing related to AC.

Then I read that it's another of those US ONLY things.

What about the rest of us? I think it's highly unfair that we miss out. It makes it seem that the US players get a sort of advantage over the rest of us.

Like giving certain kids in a class candy and not the rest. Or telling some of the school they get to go on a trip and the rest miss out.

Neopets always works that way. The US is everything and the rest of the world basically doesn't exist.

I've complained to TNT about this several times, but they never got back to me. I guess they're too proud of their identity.

Yeah, US players also get other advantages.

Like I think that they even gave a sponsor game for US players and then one of their games for the rest of the world during Daily Dare a few times. Though that's not the best example... but they also give US players a ton of freebies.

I've just gotten used to it now.

Unfortunately, the site is based in the US and probably has the biggest population of players located within the US. I'm sure it's not a 'nyah nyah, the rest of the world sucks' but you have to realize that there are also obscure laws in other countries, stuff like that. But there are also some Canada only and Europe only things that the US misses out on. At least the items aren't that great.

TNT did gave sponsor games during the GMC... more than once accross the years.

The items given by this particular sponsors are all very old items and worthless... so I'm not exactly mad to miss this item :P

Must have been in their contract with the ad company (Kraft in this case) that they only give money for being advertised in the US.

But there are also some Canada only and Europe only things that the US misses out on.

I've seen them for Canada, but for Europe as well? I've never seen that one before.

I understand the advertisers only want to give stuff away to the country they're selling to... But it is still an advantage over other players.

And I don't think the majority of players is from the USA. I think it is widely divided over the whole planet.

And I don't think the majority of players is from the USA. I think it is widely divided over the whole planet.

I agree. I'm in Europe, and it seems to me that on the times I'm playing there is a lot of other Europeans and some overlap with Asia as well.

In particular I notice the Portugese BemVindo! greeting in shops, which is probably latin America.

It would make sense for a good portion to be from the US, considering the size. Besides, that isn't the point. Like I said, it's the laws and the ads and pointing your advertisements at the people most likely to buy. *shrugs*

I remember vividly that they gave (in the GMC) the US players a REALLY easy game with a really easy score to beat, and non-US players meepit juice break, with a score of something like 2500... Crazy.

About laws? Most Europian laws are more relaxed than the US, I don't know any country that has a drinking age of over 21 in Europe, same with gambling, same with many other things bar driving... I think its probably more that Viacom only gets paid to advertise to the US, so they just don't bother realeasing the certain Ad to non-US players... Although I wonder if thats actually HARDER than just releasing it to everybody - rather than making it so certain players can't access it...

But then, don't get me into an argument about this kind of thing... Being ENGLISH (NOT BRITISH) I do get kind of annoyed with SOME American's not really understanding other countries :P ...

I remember vividly that they gave (in the GMC) the US players a REALLY easy game with a really easy score to beat, and non-US players meepit juice break, with a score of something like 2500... Crazy.

About laws? Most Europian laws are more relaxed than the US, I don't know any country that has a drinking age of over 21 in Europe, same with gambling, same with many other things bar driving... I think its probably more that Viacom only gets paid to advertise to the US, so they just don't bother realeasing the certain Ad to non-US players... Although I wonder if thats actually HARDER than just releasing it to everybody - rather than making it so certain players can't access it...

But then, don't get me into an argument about this kind of thing... Being ENGLISH (NOT BRITISH) I do get kind of annoyed with SOME American's not really understanding other countries :P ...

Good thing I understand other countries just fine. There have ever been contests I've seen where people have complained about the same thing and it turns out there's a law in the country of the person complaining that prevents them from being able to get the prize. Stuff like that.

But... alas. It is how things go. There's always the chance of buying the stuff from other people.

Perhaps in the future there will be some Europe only things, then people from Asia, the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, and Africa can be put out. *shrugs*

I do have to wonder, has anyone tried to use a proxy to make it seem like they're in the US?

Yep I've used a proxy in the past to be a US member, which usually worked if I also set my account profile thingy to USA. Not sure if it's against the rules though so I won't.(anymore)

Proxy is simply said browsing the internet through a different IP address (which may point out that you're from the USA).

I can't imagine it would be, as using a proxy is just a way of keeping people from tracking where you're from and such. Though it might be considered getting around restrictions set forth by the site you are playing on.

Just do a search for what proxy servers are.

I live in America, but I still think that it is totally unfair of TNT to make America based. I think the whole world should get equal benefits. Does TNT do some things only for US because it is harder to do it for the whole world? Or are they just...

I think they're making some things US only because either 1: for whatever reason, the sponsors requested it. Or 2: They're a reason they can't, legally. Like in sweepstakes here, or giveaways, the rules always state "Void where prohibited" So it's possible it's not allowed in certain other countries, so they make it simple by limiting it to the US.

I think they're making some things US only because either 1: for whatever reason, the sponsors requested it. Or 2: They're a reason they can't, legally. Like in sweepstakes here, or giveaways, the rules always state "Void where prohibited" So it's possible it's not allowed in certain other countries, so they make it simple by limiting it to the US.

Which is what I keep saying but people keep saying that isn't true.

I know TNT can seem unfair, but really, as I said before I doubt they're doing it just to hurt players from other places. Let's just appreciate that the items aren't US-only so that players from other places can buy them.

Can this be moved to Neopets Debate maybe?

Which is what I keep saying but people keep saying that isn't true.

I know TNT can seem unfair, but really, as I said before I doubt they're doing it just to hurt players from other places. Let's just appreciate that the items aren't US-only so that players from other places can buy them.

Can this be moved to Neopets Debate maybe?

I was trying to find who had said that, so I could mention them by name, but I couldn't. (My brain is gone. I'm sick and today is 12hr work day #3 for the week.)

I agree. At least anyone can get their hands on the items.

I'm sorry you're sick :( That is never fun. I'm constantly sick.

But yeah. I know it must suck to be left out. Especially since you're not being left out based on merit, but geographical location.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has 'Anything & Everything Neopets' to 'Neopets Debate'.

I wish other places could participate in all events as well, but it seems to me I do remember one or two things that happened for specific countries only ... kind of like a payback for not being able to participate in other things.

I don't know, I don't understand how all of that works, I guess there are good reasons :rolleyes_anim:

Must have been in their contract with the ad company (Kraft in this case) that they only give money for being advertised in the US.

I find the Kraft thing odd I have to admit considering they've just taken over Cadbury's which is such a large seller in the UK. And considering the amount of negative advertisment they got in the UK over that I'm surprised that they're not paying for advertising in the UK.