Taste in Music

frivolouschaos

Alright, this is a pretty standard question;

What's your type of music? What are some bands you love, and some you hate?

Reccomendations for others with similar taste would be great too.

This is posted in the Debate forum since musical discussion can get pretty intense xD

I like almost all kinds of music, though I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the more popular material out there. Then again, I'm not one to discriminate against a sound based on whether or not it's 'mainstream'. I usually default to indie or alternative rock, but I've been really enjoying classical music lately.

I really like the song 'Lost Art' by the Mere Mortals right now. Also 'Now We Can See' by The Thermals is a great track.

I... don't like Metallica. That's kind of an understatement. I make this horrible face whenever my friends mention them. Not to say I'm a Megadeth fan. Dave Mustaine just makes me a sad little panda. D:

I guess you could say my taste is largely indie pop / indie rock. Bands I listen to most include: Of Montreal, Tokyo Police Club, Born Ruffians, Why?, Animal Collective, Mirah, etc.

At the same time, I love old classic jazz stuff, Ray Charles, Betty Carter, Nina Simone, & Billie Holiday. I listen to a lot of hip-hop kinda stuff, sometimes feel the urge for some guilty-pleasure-mainstream-pop kinda stuff, sometimes listen to alt-country- so I'm kinda all over the place.

As for stuff I hate... nothing more than Nickleback.

As for stuff I hate... nothing more than Nickleback.

---

Agreed!! Gosh they're awful (in my humble opinion)

Hmmm yeah I also tend to lean towards the less 'poppy' bands.

I like stuff like Ra Ra Riot, The Arcade Fire, Muse, Kate Nash, White Rabbits, The Shins and Death Cab For Cutie. Although I think half of them might be kind of semi-mainstream now...but still. They're good ^^ Also love the classical/jazz...classics. :laughingsmiley:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Metallica either hah...And I pretty much despise 99% of the stuff I hear on the radio now (Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Black Eyed Peas, etc). The 1% is probably the Killers who get lots of airplay and are still awesome ^^

Oh wow, I'm really happy that there's some agreement with me on the classical front :laughingsmiley:

@kari! - I don't really know that much about country except the occasional free itunes single and my dad's old records... Is there anything you'd reccomend? I'm not sure I know what 'alternative country' is... :*

Oh wow, I'm really happy that there's some agreement with me on the classical front :laughingsmiley:

@kari! - I don't really know that much about country except the occasional free itunes single and my dad's old records... Is there anything you'd reccomend? I'm not sure I know what 'alternative country' is... :*

Yeah! Try out The Avett Brothers, especially their album Emotionalism. It's soooooo good.

I also really like Deer Tick, particularly their song Art Isn't Real (City of Sin).

A couple more: Drive By Truckers, Whiskeytown, Blitzen Trapper. I think some really popular stuff like Wilco, My Morning Jacket and Band of Horses could also be considered alt-country.

Ah, gotta love music!

As for me, I can probably listen to anything and enjoy it ^_^ HOWEVER my most favorite genres are Techno, Trance, and Dance music (they are all different of course) These genres are highly underestimated ( people think it's just the same beat over and over >.> ), great use of different techniques and way better beats than in normal music, and it really goes to show that you don't need to have lyrics to understand its meaning (ex. I'm So In Love With You by Basshunter) These are the only genres that I can listen to for 24/7.

Scooter, DJ Splash, and DJ Contacreast are some of the many DJs that make tons of wonderful songs!

After those, I would have to go with instrumental, pop, random, tejano, and anime music :)

Now for the dislikes....I just REALLY don't like country music in general! I'll admit I do listen to LeAnn Rimes, Rascal Flatts, and Johnny Cash...but that's about it. Whenever I hear country music, I just get this shutter feeling and search for something else to listen to. I prefer Metallica over country music any day ^^

I also can not stand all those new "disney stars" like Jonas Brothers, Justin Bieber (idk how in the world this kid gets tons of fans causing riots...he can't even sing well imho), and of course...that Hannah Montana girl :P Don't like their songs one bit.

Other than that, I'll just about listen to everything else from 60's music to Metal to Emo music to Rap to golden 80s and to even classical :) Just please no country or stars that ruined the definition of Disney.

DEFINITELY second the Blitzen Trapper. They're fantastic. The Mountain Goats are pretty excellent, too, and if anyone gets into bluegrass, Old Crow Medicine Show are a must-hear.

I've been really into Gogol Bordello, Beirut, and Devotchka lately - which defy categorization, though GB call themselves gypsy punks - and have been revisiting some Bob Dylan. Some all time faves include Rilo Kiley and Jenny Lewis, The Decemberists, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, and Sleater-Kinney. I love going to the library and finding new stuff, though, and buying at a local independent record store.

My short list? xD I'm sure no one wants to read through all of them.

Classic Rock:

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon

Modern Rock:

The White Stripes, Green Day, The Killers, Whatever Jack White is doing

"Heavier" stuff (Grunge, Heavy Metal, Punk, Industrial:

Hole (really only Live Through This. Don't judge them by their mediocre new album), Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Sex Pistols, Emilie Autumn, Nine Inch Nails

Indie:

Tegan And Sara, Arcade Fire, Anberlin, Regina Spektor, Metric

Pop:

Elton John, Lady Gaga, Some Beyonce, Lily Allen, Madonna

Folk:

Bob Dylan, Feist

My favorite genres are slow rock, alt rock and screamo. Though I like a lot of other music. My favorite artists are Jack Johnson, John Mayer, The Killers, Train, Never Shout Never, Greenday, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, As I lay Dying, Devil Wears Prada, The Beatles, Switchfoot, all-american rejects, U2 so many more.

So many I hate. Justin Bieber and Eminem just to name a couple

I listen to most kinds of music, but I'm not a huge fan of country.

I dislike most types of rock, with a few exceptions.

Screamo scares me. D8

As for bands, I don't really have favorites. xD;

Indie:

Tegan And Sara, Arcade Fire, Anberlin, Regina Spektor, Metric

---

Finally! Someone appreciates Arcade Fire^^ Nobody in my school knows who they are :sad01_anim:

So many I hate. Justin Bieber and Eminem just to name a couple

---

Actually, Eminem is one of the only rap artists I can stand *hides in corner*

DEFINITELY second the Blitzen Trapper. They're fantastic. The Mountain Goats are pretty excellent, too, and if anyone gets into bluegrass, Old Crow Medicine Show are a must-hear.

I've been really into Gogol Bordello, Beirut, and Devotchka lately - which defy categorization, though GB call themselves gypsy punks - and have been revisiting some Bob Dylan. Some all time faves include Rilo Kiley and Jenny Lewis, The Decemberists, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, and Sleater-Kinney. I love going to the library and finding new stuff, though, and buying at a local independent record store.

Ohhhhhh yeah The Mountain Goats. I can't believe I forgot to mention them. I'm going to see them next month!

And dude, Beirut, DeVotchKa, Rilo Kiley, Decemberists? We are like, music twinz.

Btw if you haven't already, check out Dark Dark Dark. They are kinda DeVotchKa-esque.

Finally! Someone appreciates Arcade Fire^^ Nobody in my school knows who they are

Really? Wow! I'm always surprised when I find someone who doesn't know them. They're putting out a new album this summer/fall. *happy dance*

I think I'm the oppisite of a lot of people here. I LOVE Metal, Speed Metal, Power Metal, Nu Metal, Rock, Heavy Metal, Country Rock etc.

Bands I like:

Disturbed

The Offspring

Nine Inch Nails

System of a Down

Metallica

Jonny Cash

NickelBack

Linkin Park

DRAGONFORCE!!!!

AC/DC

Rev Theory

Killswitch Engage

Slipknot

Drowning Pool

3 Inches in Blood (sometimes)

30 Seconds to Mars

And others

People I HATE:

The Jonas Brothers (how I want to kill them)

Miley Cyrus

Justin Bieber

Eminem

EVERY other Rapper

Chris Brown

Madonna

Rianna (don't care about spelling her name right)

Others, but I can't remember them.

I actually listen to Easy Listening and Soundscapes from time to time *looks embarressed*

I have some pretty strange and diverse musical tastes. Mostly, I'm into metal, but I'm pretty specific about what bands I like.

Scandinavian death metal and folk metal - Opeth, In Flames, Dimension Zero, Borknagar, Thyrfing, Nattsmyg, and Ensiferum. I like the Scandinavian metal the most because it includes a lot of melodic guitar parts that are rooted in traditional music.

Other metal - Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Dragonforce, Devin Townsend (all of his projects - he's an amazing guitarist and awesome singer), Stratovarius, Apocalyptica, Ozzy Osbourne (only until No More Tears).

'60s and '70s classic rock - Rush, Neil Young, Black Sabbath, CCR, The Beatles, CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, and many more.

'80s pop - Cindi Lauper, early Madonna, Duran Duran, The Bangles, Europe.

Grunge and Industrial - Alice in Chains, Failure, Nine Inch Nails, Ministry (an related side projects), Nirvana, Failure, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Mystery Machine, Melvins, Pain, Primus.

Classical - Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Borodin, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Vivaldi, Bach, Holst, Grieg, Dvorak

Video game music (yes, I'm a total nerd, but every since I'd heard the music from FFVI, I've been hooked) - Final Fantasy VI, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, every Silent Hill soundtrack, Tales of Destiny, Final Fantasy Tactics. Add to this several great video game cover bands: Metroid Metal, Neskimos, Minibosses, Select Start.

There's lots of music I generally don't like too. I hate breakup music. I'm not very fond of country (especially modern country), modern radio rock (Nickelback :grrr: ), rap, R&B, and a lot of adult contemporary. Also, apart from a select few that have been listed in my above list, I don't like female singers.

Music discussions are the best!

Okay, I'm pretty 'across-the-board' when it comes to music. I dislike country music strongly (which is not a good thing because I live in Tennessee, the country music state). I strongly dislike most blues (which is also not a good thing because my dad is in a blues band). I don't care for much rap/hip hop. I don't like most of those Disney Channel star/singers (I do like a couple of them personally, but not their music), Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga or Rihanna, just to name a few people.

Whenever I hear country music, I just get this shutter feeling and search for something else to listen to.

Definitely agreed!

I like almost all kinds of music, though I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the more popular material out there. Then again, I'm not one to discriminate against a sound based on whether or not it's 'mainstream'. I usually default to indie or alternative rock, but I've been really enjoying classical music lately.

Hehe, you sound like me! I don't listen to a lot of mainstream music either. In fact, it's a bit weird when people ask me about my music because I'm like, "Um... probably nothing you've ever heard of." :P

Anyway, onto the awesomeness!

Alternative:

Imogen Heap (love her!)

White Lies (their the band I've been listening to all day today)

Jimmy Eat World

Blue Foundation

Phoenix

The Black Ghosts

St. Vincent

Radiohead

Rock & Pop:

The Runaways (I also love the new versions of their songs performed by Dakota Fanning & Kristen Stewart)

Sufjan Stevens

Aly & AJ (I've liked them since they first came out)

The Cardigans

Jars of Clay

Dave Matthews Band

Singer/Songwriter/Folk

The Blue Sky Project (this isn't an artist, it's an album with various artists on it. I love it!)

Dance:

Goldfish

Little Big Town

Rascal Flatts

Electronic:

Moby

Calvin Harris

Massive Attack

Soundtrack (Albums, because it would probably take too long to list the artists):

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (although I like the movie okay, I adore the soundtrack!)

Twilight (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

The Dark Knight/Batman Begins Soundtracks

The Da Vinci Code Soundtrack

The Chronicles of Narnia Soundtracks

The Lord of the Rings Soundtracks

Sweeney Todd Soundtrack

National Treasure Soundtrack

Music is a big deal to me. I was raised around it. (More from the musical instrument aspect)

I like easy on the ears music, as loud stuff gives me migraines. (I'm getting old. :laughingsmiley: )

To me, music has too equally important aspects, the lyrics, and the actual sound of the music. I can't enjoy a song if it doesn't have both. I don't care if it sounds good, if it has horrible lyrics, and the same is true the other way.

I have 3 all time favorites:

Brendan James (Folk piano player. Amazing, soft sound, with beautiful meaningful lyrics. And it helps that he was one of the kindest musicians I've ever met.)

John Mayer (Good sound, amazing guitar playing, and 90% of the time, great lyrics.)

Jason Mraz (Fun sound, interesting lyrics)

Other favorites:

Taylor Swift

Rascal Flatts

Colbie Caillat

Nickelback

The Beatles

Jack Johnson

Avril Lavigne

Celtic Woman

And that's all I can think of right now.

I think I'm the oppisite of a lot of people here. I LOVE Metal, Speed Metal, Power Metal, Nu Metal, Rock, Heavy Metal, Country Rock etc.

Bands I like:

Disturbed

The Offspring

Nine Inch Nails

System of a Down

Metallica

Jonny Cash

NickelBack

Linkin Park

DRAGONFORCE!!!!

AC/DC

Rev Theory

Killswitch Engage

Slipknot

Drowning Pool

3 Inches in Blood (sometimes)

30 Seconds to Mars

And others

Metallica... :grrr:

and Slipknot too... ugh

I like Dragonforce though, they're really talented. 'Through the Fire and Flames' is really intense xD

And I really like the song 'Closer' by Nine Inch Nails... :*

EDIT: Wow, I said 'really' a LOT in that post xD

Oh wow, I love Blitzen Trapper :D

My math teacher had a poster of their 'Furr' album on his wall so I checked them out. (My math teacher is awesome, he's on tour in England with one of his bands right now so we have a substitute xD)

Also, the Decemberists are GREAT :laughingsmiley:

P.S. I'M SORRY I CAN'T SPELL THE WORD THEIR... OR THIER... ARGHHH.... I hate words with I and E xD

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Country and Rap music seems to be seriously underrated. Maybe it's because people have only ever heard the bad songs, or they've never actually listened to that type of music and they just hate it because it's popular to hate it. :I

I don't listen to rap very often, but I like Deltron 3030 a lot. "Time keeps on slipping" and "3030" are my favorites from him.

Some other singers I like a lot:

Hirasawa Sususmu does electropop kind of music. He makes really fantastic songs. I love "The Girl in Byakkoya" A lot of his songs are really lovely to listen to. I love the vocals, too.

Shiina Ringo is SO GOOD. I have her album, Heisei Fuuzoku, in my ipod and oh man she is my favorite singer her voice is soo good. That album has a nice mixture of different types of music, too. I could go on and on about her hehe.

Björk: listen to herrrr.

Passion Pit (I've listened to Sleepyhead probably over 200 times now @_@), MGMT, and Justice are really good too!

Nine horses is another favorite of mine. Their songs have a really good beat and lyrics, and David Sylvian has a nice deep voice...

Mew makes some good music too. I haven't heard everything by them, but from what I've heard. It's good.

& I just wanna throw in At The Bottom Of Everything by Bright Eyes. I love the lyrics and the video so much. Search it up on Youtube or something.

My itunes is crazy I listen to almost everything. I love classical music, "oldies," hip hop, etc. I would have to say my favorites are Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, and Wiz Khalifa. I love Wiz Khalifa the most right now. I like hip hop and rap for the beats and the rhythm and I love Khalifa's beats. He is an interesting mix between hip hop and electronic, etc. I would check out "Sky High" or any songs from his "Flight School" mixtape. He just came out with one mixtape "Kush and Orange Juice" but I like "Flight School" better actually. Kid Cudi is another one of my favorite artists. I'm from the Cleveland area of Ohio, where he is from, and he is another rapper like Khalifa who is coming out with hip hop that isn't the usual "trap" music that most people associate with rap. They even rap over bands like MGMT and ratatat--bands I also enjoy. I'm personally not a fan of the "trap" music either (Gucci, Wayne, etc). Big Sean is another rapper to look out for--I really like him. He is on Kanye's G.O.O.D Music label. Say what you will about Kanye, but he is a good producer. I also love Michael Jackson and indie bands like Apples in Stereo, Pipes you see Pipes you don't, Ben Kweller, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. So many people ha ha! I just love music.

I hate you now...

Ouch... harsh. I think I just died a little inside xD

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at least 7 words long. Quotes do not contribute to the post count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.