Petpage Applications

tempdisplay

I'd like to express my at the whole idea of it. I just saw yet another awesome Petpage Application get rejected. This is not fair on the person that made it, I know they don't to do one but let's face it, who wouldn't choose a Petpage App over a NeoMail one?

I think TNT should ban the whole idea so the maximum an application can go to is a NeoMail and a Couple of Pictures. The whole page thing just isn't fair. And the biggest kick in the teeth? "Sorry, I've decided to keep the pet". Sometimes "Sorry" isn't even in it.

I've never applied for a Pet, and never plan to, I have no "dreamies". However, I help friends with FanArt and stuff so when they get rejected, it hurts me too.

That's all I really have to say. Petpage Applications must end.

While I think it's totally pretentious to ask someone to make this elaborate application, I can understand wanting some sort of idea of a persons plans with the pet so retrading doesn't happen - but I think that could probably be done by looking at a persons pets or by conversing through a few neomails.

RANDOM STORY: I'm currently in search for one of my dreamies, a grey grarrl, and this girl came to my board. She told me that I could have hers (that was rotting away on a side account) if I made an application with a bunch of specific stuff on it (like a story about her & her character, a bunch of drawn pictures, a preview on how I planned to customize her and a bunch more stuff). At first I was all *OMG* but now I don't really care. It shouldn't be that hard and annoying to achieve especially since we talked for two nights on the boards lol :sad01_anim:

So yes, down with outrageous applications! Waste of time...

I also think that the idea of petpage applications is totally unreasonable. That is a lot of work to do for a pet you probably won't end up getting. When someone is looking to adopt out a pet, they have a specific idea in mind for the expectations they have from a prospective adopter. You could put days of work into stories and art for a petpage, and if they don't like your vision for the pet, then you don't get to adopt it. It doesn't matter that it's your dream pet. It doesn't matter that you wrote a 5,000 word story for it. It doesn't matter that you are terrible at coding petpages, but you spent two weeks reading tutorials, just so that you could edit some ccs to make a layout that works. In the end, you don't get the pet because the owner doesn't think that your vision for the pet is close enough to their vision for the pet, or they liked someone else's art better than yours. I think that it's totally unfair to make people do that much work mostly for the amusement of the owner.

I think that many of the people requiring applications for their pets just like to wield power over other Neopians who genuinely want to adopt their dream pet. They seem to get some sort of rush from making people jump through hoops for a small chance at something they want. They're adopting out a collection of pixels that they no longer care about, so why make it complicated? I think that petpage applications are just about being on a power trip. I have no intention of feeding into someone else's ego like that, I would never expect that from anyone that I was possibly going to give a pet to. I think that looking at accounts and talking to people gives a much better indication of what kind of owner they will be.

Agreed. I think that is really rude and mean, but in some cases, it is ok if they are nice and ask for something that they will definitely accept.

Petpage applications are outrageous. I considered making one for a Mutant Kau, but gave up before the initial page even started and just went out and bought a potion. I agree, it is pretentious and I don't know of anyone's page actually getting accepted. Psssh, even job applications don't call for you to draw fan art and code a page. Pet trading is strange to me, and after some limited experience with trading and adopting pets, I've realized that it's out of control. Even without pet pages, a lot of offers are made, a lot of promises are broken and hardly anyone is the better for it. It's another strange addition to Neopets that I just don't understand. :/

I couldn't agree more. Petpage applications are completely overboard.

I belong to a guild where we rescue pets out of the pound, zap them into something desirable, and try to find good homes for them. I personally couldn't care less if someone makes me some asinine elaborate waste of time petpage app. As far as I'm concerned, a neomail will suffice. Whoever invented the petpage app should have been properly ridiculed before the trend reached the mainstream.

Hrmmmm, I should put in my adoption rules for prospective adopters to specifically NOT make a petpage app. Hopefully the idea will catch on. :)

Edit. I did it - I posted on my application rules to NOT send me a petpage app. Bahaha :) I'm starting a campaign to rid Neopets of these ridiculous overblown soul-sucking petpage applications. Who's with me?! Grab your torch and pitchforks!!! :laughingsmiley:

Oh my... :laughingsmiley: This is the first I hear of it :O these things exist? When I started reading, I thought OP was against petpages in general and it confused me because when customised, those are usually cool and helpful... :eh:

How did someone even think about this stuff? It sounds completely selfish and demeaning, I don't even understand how one would have the gall to utter those demands... much less why someone would follow them, they're ridiculous x_x Maybe we should start a petition and spread the word around Neoboards for people to sign...

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, woah, woah... You guys are making it seem like these owners are slaveholders, cracking their whips for the hell of it.

Have you forgotten that absolutely no one requires petpage applications because requiring them is against the rules in the first place? And that many people have so much to say that it can't possibly fit into a neomail? You're blowing it out of proportion.

Look, someone who codes/types/draws excessively probably wants that pet more than most other people. For goodness sakes, why not give it a shot yourself? I'm currently applying for my ultimate dream pet and I can't draw worth crap, but I'm giving it a shot. :/ You'll never know where you'll land until you give it a try. Get over your martyr attitude and realize that you're not out of the running before the race even starts. If you really can't do anything, use a premade or a template and suggest for the owner to look at your account rather than your talents. Explain your situation. Sitting back and complaining will get you nowhere.

On an end note, consider this: Someone who may go totally overboard with their application is just applying in the only way that they know how. It just wouldn't be fair to strip them of their only shot at a pet, now would it? Why don't you try to be an individual and create a gallery of books that you'll read to the pet? Or maybe gourmet foods that you'll feed it? Codestones, Dubloons, and Faeries that you'll train it with? Oh wait, is that too much work? If it is, then I'm sorry, but you just won't get it. It's only fair that the pet goes to the user that cares the most about it, and puts the most work into wowing the owner. It may put people on uneven ground, but that's just how it is sometimes. Suck it up and try harder next time.

Sorry for any personal offense. My writing style is very direct and one-on-one. I'm speaking generally, as I hate it when I see people complain when someone who put more work into something gets it because "it's not fair" - it IS fair, you're just upset.

Woah, woah, woah... You guys are making it seem like these owners are slaveholders, cracking their whips for the hell of it.

Have you forgotten that absolutely no one requires petpage applications because requiring them is against the rules in the first place? And that many people have so much to say that it can't possibly fit into a neomail? You're blowing it out of proportion.

Look, someone who codes/types/draws excessively probably wants that pet more than most other people. For goodness sakes, why not give it a shot yourself? I'm currently applying for my ultimate dream pet and I can't draw worth crap, but I'm giving it a shot. :/ You'll never know where you'll land until you give it a try. Get over your martyr attitude and realize that you're not out of the running before the race even starts. If you really can't do anything, use a premade or a template and suggest for the owner to look at your account rather than your talents. Explain your situation. Sitting back and complaining will get you nowhere.

On an end note, consider this: Someone who may go totally overboard with their application is just applying in the only way that they know how. It just wouldn't be fair to strip them of their only shot at a pet, now would it? Why don't you try to be an individual and create a gallery of books that you'll read to the pet? Or maybe gourmet foods that you'll feed it? Codestones, Dubloons, and Faeries that you'll train it with? Oh wait, is that too much work? If it is, then I'm sorry, but you just won't get it. It's only fair that the pet goes to the user that cares the most about it, and puts the most work into wowing the owner. It may put people on uneven ground, but that's just how it is sometimes. Suck it up and try harder next time.

Sorry for any personal offense. My writing style is very direct and one-on-one. I'm speaking generally, as I hate it when I see people complain when someone who put more work into something gets it because "it's not fair" - it IS fair, you're just upset.

*chuckles* It's amusing when someone writes such a passionate argument for something that is completely not worth defending! :laughingsmiley:

This is a debate forum, is it not? Or is something "not worth defending" only considered such when it differs from your point? Maybe your problem is that I completely destroyed any arguments against petpage applications with, oh, I don't know, logic, rather than some hurt feelings?

;) Don't think that you can use that superiority facade to deter me from the argument. I'm not afraid to prove you sore egos wrong, so unless you're going to actually debate rather than make snide comments in efforts to AVOID the debate, I'd suggest that you don't reply to my posts. Now, I'll let you try again - will you respond directly to my argument, or try to avoid it again?

You're also making a lot of assumptions about the people who commented in this thread, which are not true, so that may be why no one is willing to take it up the conversation.

If some people aren't into applications, than so be it. No need to belittle them for choosing against it.

Plus, this is a discussion forum, not a berating forum. You're basically saying "you're all wrong and my POV is right". That's not a discussion.

I would just like to remind everyone that this is a DEBATE forum. Please RESPECT everyone's opinions even if you do not agree with them! We want to see people acting mature in this forum, and having a good discussion, otherwise the topic will be closed. :)

I'm looking for a debate? I tend to come off strongly, which I addressed in my first post. That's done, and I don't care about who's feelings are hurt or who is simply making a comment - the OP mentioned that they don't apply themselves anyway, so obviously not everyone has a bruised ego.

"My writing style is very direct and one-on-one." <- Keep that in mind, I posted it before. I'm not here to make assumptions or put others down - that's a troll - I'm here to entice debate. I noticed that absolutely no one posted anything regarding the positives of petpage applications, so the Devil's Advocate seemed to be the perfect role.

Regardless, I just want a real response, which I'm not getting. That bothers me. I hate it when people disregard logical arguments with snide comments merely because they can't think of anything intelligible to retort. The purpose of a debate is to express both sides of the argument and think deeply about the subject as a result - harshness aside, I brought in a previously untouched argument which was only addressed later with an idea of, "How cute, you're making a big deal out of nothing." In all of the debates I've ever been in, that is never an acceptable response. Of COURSE it's going to rile me up - it's a fallacy, and I expect much more from a debate forum.

Let me make this much clear: I'm neither for nor against petpage applications. I adopt pets and zap them for others too, and I don't require petpages or ask for them. Actually, I've never received one and I've adopted off Ice, Faeries, and Robots - some highly sought after pets. However, I understand that petpages are sometimes the only way to truly express your desires for a pet, and that some may not have the best account, but have the best intentions and greatest desires for a pet. Allowing these applications puts everyone on fair ground - artistic people can use their talents and game-savvy people can show off their accounts. I find it ignorant and closed-minded for people to feel that it's "unfair" merely because they're not good at a certain art. If an owner doesn't want to accept petpage applications, so be it, but it's equally fine for someone else to accept them.

I don't think anyone should *require* people to create a petpage, but if someone *wants* to make one then kudos to them... like my friend is making a petpage as an application for her dreamie, an ice hissi. People want to show that they really want that pet and will care for them, and sometimes a neomail just doesn't cut it due to the character limits. :) But like I said, no one should be forced to make one... which, so far I have not seen anyone who has actually made it a requirement, though I'm sure there are people out there who do. I can understand wanting to make sure the pet would not be re-traded, but it should be okay just for a person to say I really want this pet because it's my dreamie and not have to create a whole elaborate application.

No it's not fair. Which is why I just do a written app. But when that gets rejected after I work hard to make a great roleplay story, I feel bad too.

And like you said, it's worst when the person desides to keep the pet, throwing away your work along with many others that have applied for the pet. It's happened to me, that someone desided to keep their Krawk.

I want a Krawk so bad, I'll do anything for one.

Would you please explain exactly how it isn't fair though? I still can't understand that.

What's not fair about allowing especially artistic people to hone their skills in this competition? Everyone may use their skills respectively to wow the owner - no one is told that they can't do something because it's more eye-catching than something else. If the owner has too short of an attention span or too little consideration to realize that a person with an entire gallery of Krawk-related items (I use this as an example purely out of convenience) deserves a pet more than a single spiffied up petpage, then that's too bad, but it's not right to say that all instances of allowing petpages are unfair because of it. It's just that single instance that is unfair. Do you understand? That's like saying that all teachers who give tests are unfair because one decided to give their favorite student five extra points.

I understand that this may feel unfair to people that aren't artistic (or those with little time) because they feel that their application is better than all of the others. That's natural. However, you have to look at the situation from a non-biased point of view: An application that has an entire story, fanart, and a custom-designed page for the pet that they're adopting off is seen as not only eye-catching and creative, but considerate and contemplative. The think, "Wow, this person really thought about who my pet is - not what he/she is. They must really want him/her."

Would you please explain exactly how it isn't fair though? I still can't understand that.

What's not fair about allowing especially artistic people to hone their skills in this competition? Everyone may use their skills respectively to wow the owner - no one is told that they can't do something because it's more eye-catching than something else. If the owner has too short of an attention span or too little consideration to realize that a person with an entire gallery of Krawk-related items (I use this as an example purely out of convenience) deserves a pet more than a single spiffied up petpage, then that's too bad, but it's not right to say that all instances of allowing petpages are unfair because of it. It's just that single instance that is unfair. Do you understand? That's like saying that all teachers who give tests are unfair because one decided to give their favorite student five extra points.

I understand that this may feel unfair to people that aren't artistic (or those with little time) because they feel that their application is better than all of the others. That's natural. However, you have to look at the situation from a non-biased point of view: An application that has an entire story, fanart, and a custom-designed page for the pet that they're adopting off is seen as not only eye-catching and creative, but considerate and contemplative. The think, "Wow, this person really thought about who my pet is - not what he/she is. They must really want him/her."

It's not fair because most of these people take hours out of their day so they can get the pet, and then it turns out it's not good enough or even worse, the user desides to keep the pet.

And I made that kind of app that you explain in the end of your post, the user then desided it's best to keep the pet and just leave it to starve as they left Neo.

Petpage applications are unfair because graphics and coding skills do not necessarily equal a good pet parent.

Graphics and coding skills should not give a person an advantage over another one when it comes to caring for a pet. Think about what would happen in real life if you had two people applying to adopt a puppy. One person has two other dogs, a big backyard, and volunteers at animal shelters. The other just made a website for the puppy and created a story about it. Which one should get the puppy?

Exactly.

Petpage applications are a silly waste of time, period.

But then again, everyone is all trade-crazed these days, so who cares about pets anymore? (Besides the odd user such as myself.)

I think the OP's issue is really with those who "like to make people jump through hoops" and who are indecisive, and/or making people go through a lot of effort just for their amusement, or to get ideas about themes/customizations/names or ideas for the next pet they make.

If you advertise that a pet is UFA, you should be absolutely sure about it. It's not right to lead others on just to see what happens. And if the applications you received weren't all that impressive, or if they were all equally impressive, maybe ask for more information or another component to help you decide.

The competition aspect is kind of a fun concept, and I can see why they were invented. And when a user is actually being honest and sincerely does want their pet to be someone's dreamie, it can be hard to decide who to give it to. And most people that are willing to go through with petpage applications are doing it because they otherwise couldn't afford that PB, or whatever, and so clearly they are willing to try really hard to prove that they want that pet!

As Cornflakes said though, one's skill with petpage apps doesn't guarantee they'll really care for the pet--it could be only sought after to be traded away for another pet, or status, or trying to make your userlookup impressive or something.

I think I saw someone say that petpage applications are against the rules; is this true?

IF not, then the bottom line is, that these people have a right to ask for them if they want. And users also have the right to not even participate, and even wait around for the next opportunity to come along. I would say the best thing would be to save your NPs anyway, and as opportunities for your dreamie arise, make a few applications here and there. Even if your application isn't chosen, you're still on your way to your dream pet!

And besides, when you make your own dream pet, YOU get to decide on the name and theme :laughingsmiley: and it's truly YOUR pet. And you can take ALL the credit for creating them. ^_^

I think my post was a little rambly, so I apologize. I hope it makes sense!

I think the OP's issue is really with those who "like to make people jump through hoops" and who are indecisive, and/or making people go through a lot of effort just for their amusement, or to get ideas about themes/customizations/names or ideas for the next pet they make.

If you advertise that a pet is UFA, you should be absolutely sure about it. It's not right to lead others on just to see what happens. And if the applications you received weren't all that impressive, or if they were all equally impressive, maybe ask for more information or another component to help you decide.

The competition aspect is kind of a fun concept, and I can see why they were invented. And when a user is actually being honest and sincerely does want their pet to be someone's dreamie, it can be hard to decide who to give it to. And most people that are willing to go through with petpage applications are doing it because they otherwise couldn't afford that PB, or whatever, and so clearly they are willing to try really hard to prove that they want that pet!

As Cornflakes said though, one's skill with petpage apps doesn't guarantee they'll really care for the pet--it could be only sought after to be traded away for another pet, or status, or trying to make your userlookup impressive or something.

I think I saw someone say that petpage applications are against the rules; is this true?

IF not, then the bottom line is, that these people have a right to ask for them if they want. And users also have the right to not even participate, and even wait around for the next opportunity to come along. I would say the best thing would be to save your NPs anyway, and as opportunities for your dreamie arise, make a few applications here and there. Even if your application isn't chosen, you're still on your way to your dream pet!

And besides, when you make your own dream pet, YOU get to decide on the name and theme :laughingsmiley: and it's truly YOUR pet. And you can take ALL the credit for creating them. ^_^

I think my post was a little rambly, so I apologize. I hope it makes sense!

They're not against the rules unless someone requires you to make one. They can ask for one, but they can't say "Make a petpage app or you won't be considered."

Rambly, nope. I rather liked it. :)

They're not against the rules unless someone requires you to make one. They can ask for one, but they can't say "Make a petpage app or you won't be considered."

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for answering my question. ^_^

SO, there you have it folks. If you can make a nice one, go for it. Or if you don't want to bother, don't. :graduated:

*realizes it will probably not be so easy to wrap up this debate by placing a little hat on it*

Set your personal vendettas aside and look at it rationally: What would be a fairer way to do it? First come first serve? Bribery? It only feels unfair because you (not directly) got rejected, but that doesn't mean that it's truly unfair. I've been rejected after putting hours into applications too, but when I looked at it after setting my hurt feelings aside, I realized that the other people not only worked MUCH HARDER than I did, but they wanted the pet and appreciated it more. That's fair in my eyes.

And let me refer to the teacher situation again: Just because one person made an unfair decision, it doesn't mean that they all do. You can't hold grudges against an entire idea because of one instance, or even a few. THAT'S not fair.

A Neopet is not a puppy. XD It's a status symbol, largely, that you have to work for. It's a toy. Trade-crazed or not, it's a bunch of pixels. Graphics and coding skills don't merit responsibility to the owners, but rather, dedication. It takes a long time to make a good layout, much less one with personal graphics and a story. That time spent shows dedication that the owner expects to be used on the pet itself when it's adopted off.

Hannah B. Many people here are against the ideas in general because they've had bad personal experiences with petpage application rejections. While I understand what you're saying, you're missing the point that it's not right to hate an entire idea because of a single instance.

I personally don't care what people do - it's not my right to tell them that. My issue is that people are being stubborn and biased about it.

Hannah B. Many people here are against the ideas in general because they've had bad personal experiences with petpage application rejections. While I understand what you're saying, you're missing the point that it's not right to hate an entire idea because of a single instance.

I personally don't care what people do - it's not my right to tell them that. My issue is that people are being stubborn and biased about it.

Chu, I agree with you on this point. I think in my post I may have been a little too impartial, and I think my fence-sitting confused some people. I agree that it's not reasonable to get angry at the process of petpage apps, like it's not fair to get angry with a credit-card company for rejecting your application for credit.

I think the frustration and anger expressed in the OP would be better directed at the individual(s) who, like I said earlier, make people do impossibly hard things when they're not even sure if they want to give their pet away. But you can't hate an entire process just because of a few people that ruined it. Heck, if I stopped listening to a band I like simply because I don't like some of the people who listen to them, that would be kind of silly, no?

Can you please explain to me how being able to code css/html equates to the desire of a pet? I'm having a hard time seeing the relation.

Hrtbrk, it doesn't. I think Cornflakes made the same statement earlier. Lots of people know how to code and yet don't have a desire to make petpage apps. If one were to ONLY accept css/html pages from scratch as their applications, that would be unfair, because no, knowing how to code does not equal being a good owner or really wanting the pet.

Then again, if that user requesting the applications as css/html pages only was very passionate about css/html coding and did it all the time, I would understand them wanting to find other people that shared their passion. I can understand this, I'm not saying I would do it myself or even that I agree or disagree with it. Just saying! *hides behind a tree anyways*

This is a strange issue that really seems to rely heavily on each individual user that requests applications, and the outcome of each application. One person gets chosen, and the others do not. That's the name of the game, folks. :guiltysmiley:

I had no idea these things even existed until I wandered into this topic out of curiosity. My question is why people don't just chose to not participate and work towards their own dreamies. It seems to have a lot less frustration and heartbreak involved.