New template: Splat

Well if it's hard on your computer, chances are there are quite a few people affected, so yeah. xD Out of curiosity, is your screen standard TFT tech or something else?

Um... my standard test is to poke the screen and see if colour distortion appears. But that probably isn't the healthiest for the screen, let alone an actual reliable test. xD I guess I'll just look up your computer model.

All right, I guess it just has lower contrast. *Googles*

Well I found an article saying this on the Pavilion dm1's screen:

The Pavilion dm1-2010sf has a glossy 11.6-inch panel which doesn't hide the low black level. What's more, reflections are particularly problematic here.

As on all current laptops, it uses TN technology. Reduced viewing angles, then, with colours that darken rapidly when viewed from below and lighten when viewed from above. Responsiveness is equivalent to standard 5 ms monitors.

Once again, the black level lacks depth at 0.71 Cd/m² for a luminance of 192 nits (Cd/m²) - maximum brightness. This gives an insufficient contrast ratio of 270:1. You therefore need to avoid exposing it to direct sources of light (sun, lamps) as far as possible as reflections will be very visible. Default colours are out-there! The Delta E (average difference) is 11.8, with a very strong colorimetric shift towards blues and cold colours.

I'm not much of a hardware guy, but maybe your new giant screen will help soon? :P

I tried tilting it back tons further, and now the text looks black. So now it's readable. I usually keep the screen at nearly a 90 degree angle. But putting it back further did make it easier. Interesting. It's slightly awkward to have it back that far, but it does make reading easier. Thank you.

You're welcome. :) *pushes screen backwards* This thing refuses to go any further back. xD

Well, okay. So we either need to change the post font colour to V's suggestion, or add a giant notice to the top of the page saying "TILT YOUR SCREEN BACK IF YOU CAN'T READ THE POSTS". :P

Eheheh, one of my rare bright ideas I suppose. :P Maybe that could be part of our epic theme?

Right, for Spritzie and any other Chrome/Chromium users: click here. ;) Firefox users, that same user script should work with Greasemonkey. This should hold up until Ian lands the actual fix.

Is there anyway to change the default text color? On my netbook, no matter what angle I change the screen to, I can barely make out the light grey text. Quoted posts are equally hard to view.

I'm afraid there's no way to change it for a single person... :/

I'm afraid there's no way to change it for a single person... :/

Other people might have the same issue, if they're on a laptop, or netbook. But then again, Theo did write some coding for Chrome that fixed it for me. So it's fine now. Should we possibly mention Theo's fix, in case others have the same issue?

Yes, I agree that changing the default font colour for the body rule to #212121 is a good idea. I see no drawbacks. :yes:

As a side note, I'm now on my work desktop with a 20+ inch monitor, and I'm still having trouble with the grey font. (And I had Anisha and Divya mention they were having the same issues.)

Alright I am going to contact the makers of the skin to see which stylesheet section we should modify to make the text more amazingly readable.

brb on this one. :P

Ian, I'm not sure exactly where in the template code these changes go (*grumbles about inefficient use of non-external stylesheets*), but from what I can tell you simply need to change this:

body {
background: #273749 url(http://www.tdnforums.com/public/style_images/splat/background.png) no-repeat 50% 0;
color: #777777;
font: normal 13px tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif;
position: relative;
padding-bottom: 8px;
}

To this:

body {
background: #273749 url(http://www.tdnforums.com/public/style_images/splat/background.png) no-repeat 50% 0;
color: #212121;
font: normal 13px tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif;
position: relative;
padding-bottom: 8px;
}

I agree,a lighter color would be easier to read!

You mean a darker colour right? :P