Windows Vista ( previously known as "Longhorn")

.Dan.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the minimal system requirements for the Vista?

1 GHz

1 GB RAM

DirectX 9 capable GPU with Hardware Pixel Shader v2.0 and WDDM driver support

Graphics memory - 128 MB RAM supports up to 2,756,000 total pixels (e.g. 1920 × 1200) or 512 MB+ for greater resolutions such as 2560x1600[42]

HDD capacity - 40 GB

HDD free space - 15 GB

DVD-RW

Geeze, you would need a very expensive computer to run it!

I don't really think I'll get it anytime soon - too expensive. My laptop could handle it though.

We get vista for free becuase we got a new comp andit gave us a certificate to get it later when it came out!

It has had some bad reviews because it had a big problem before it was released but, it should be better than xp for at least a few things like multi tasking is much better, which is always cool!

I would not get this software if your computer is not one of the best ones!

I don't have Windows Vista, but I think mine could handle it. It would also be useful, because my version of XP doesn't appear to be genuine, and a lot of Windows products need validation.

Well, I am certainly going to get it, that's for sure. When? Around the end of today or tomorrow for certain. I couldn't miss out on the next wonderful OS.

Also, I remind that those are the RECOMMENDED specs, not the minimal ones. If you're planning on getting Ultimate, you need those or better. But if you gonna settle for the Basic (or Home Premium) this is enough:

Pentium III 800 Mhz

512 MB RAM (you need A LOT of RAM to run WV) it works on 256MB but only for the Basic Version, the others won't handle it

20GB hard drive, 15GB needed

64 MB Graphics Adapter (if of course you won't be using Aero)

I have (for Ultimate, on my best computer):

AMD Athlon 64 3200 (OK)

512 MB RAM (needs a little more, but it'll work if you are the common user, NOT for games)

160 GB hard drive (OK)

Nvidia FX5200 128MB RAM (works with Aero, confirmed by Microsoft)

I'll post screenies of Vista when I get it. :D

True. Vista looks orgasmic.

True. They are the specs for Windows Ultimate (which is, in my opinion, the only one worth getting as an XP upgrade).

I love the Aero theme. Puts too much strain on a simple laptop like mine though.

I ran a test thingy, and it said my laptop could just about run Home Premium. But I think I'll wait for a new computer if I am going to get Vista...

My bro was running a Beta version about a month back as a trial download. It was pretty good even at that stage, with the sidebar effcts, window scrolling and such. The Media Centre pack that comes with some of them looked exactly like the XP MC pack.

I have seen live previews of it on the TV, it looks totally awesome! My computer actually can't handle, darn my 512 Ram, that is the only thing holding me back I think, but that can easily be upgraded. xD

I have seen live previews of it on the TV, it looks totally awesome! My computer actually can't handle, darn my 512 Ram, that is the only thing holding me back I think, but that can easily be upgraded. xD

Hey everyone! I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate today on my home computer, and I must say I AM AMAZED with the performance and layout! My computer has 512 MB RAM and it runs Windows Vista Ultimate really smoothly! It's really fast, even faster than XP. Wonderful change. I recommend Vista Ultimate, it's really worth it. Screenies coming soon. xD So, yes, you can install Ultimate with 512 RAM, it works perfectly.

Here are the screenies, as promised! Enjoy! (Sorry if the screenies are too big, if I cropped it you couldn't see much.)

First off, we have information about the OS, hardware, etc.

windowsvista1.jpg

The Welcome Center appears on the first boot after installing Vista. It contains many starting points if you're unfamiliar to Vista - in my case, yes.

windowsvista2.jpg

This is the new update window - also with the Ultimate Extras for Vista Ultimate users.

windowsvista3.jpg

Thanx for the screenies it looks pretty cool!

Thanx for the screenies it looks pretty cool!

No problem, if you want more just ask and I'll post 'em here. :laughingsmiley: