Windows Vista ( previously known as "Longhorn")

.Dan.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lightning Strike
I have it!^^ on my sister's laptop/notebook though..kinda cool comparing to my computer..=.=

Yeah, my main computer already has Vista, as it was fully compatible and Microsoft's advisor recommended Ultimate, so I got it.

Tomorrow I gonna go buy some more RAM for my laptop - it only has 256MB and I need at least 512MB. So yeah, I'll buy 512 so the total is 768MB. But I'll put Premium, 'cos I want the Media Center, though the graphics card isn't compatible with Aero. :(

Woah...I remember when everyone used to say you needed at least 1GB of ram...now all these really crap laptops and desktops are being sold with only 512MB.

Guest Lightning Strike
Woah...I remember when everyone used to say you needed at least 1GB of ram...now all these really crap laptops and desktops are being sold with only 512MB.

It's recommended AT LEAST 1 GB to run high-end apps (games, etc.), but for normal usage, 512 MB is okay.

I've just got Vista today, and I'm extremely satisfied =] I'm loving it, I really am. It rocks =] If you want screenshots, I'm happy to provide them in abundance. It's definately something to get used to - you get the feeling that the computer is in control, with all the modernivity (:P), but it's great when you do get used to it.

I'm on Home Premium, and there's some great features. The whole Aero interface I am probably in love with, and the Flip 3D Navigator - whilst pointless - is pretty spiffy :P

Everything is so smooth and sleek; I'd definately recommend it.

Yeah, I got my new computer up and running 2 days ago, and Vista, really, ownz nubz. :yes:

Mostly because it's serious eye candy. :P

What annoys me is those annoying prompts that ask you if you wanted to install something? Particularly irritating if you're starting up a new computer and installing all the essentials. :)

Guest Lightning Strike
I've just got Vista today, and I'm extremely satisfied =] I'm loving it, I really am. It rocks =] If you want screenshots, I'm happy to provide them in abundance. It's definately something to get used to - you get the feeling that the computer is in control, with all the modernivity (: P), but it's great when you do get used to it.

I'm on Home Premium, and there's some great features. The whole Aero interface I am probably in love with, and the Flip 3D Navigator - whilst pointless - is pretty spiffy :P

Everything is so smooth and sleek; I'd definately recommend it.

Yeah, Home Premium packs a whole bunch of features. And I'll now speak of two uber exclusive features to Vista.

First, Windows Readyboost. Get a USB Stick and plug it into the computer (at least 256 MB). An autoplay window should pop up, and one box should say "Optimize your system using Windows Readyboost". If the USB stick is supported, you can now use it for storing the cache, allowing more RAM. So if you got a 512 MB computer and a 2 GB pen drive compatible with RB, you can have 2,5 GB of RAM! (well, technically, no, but it states itself this way). It will load applications much faster, and the startup times will be less. However, if you have a 2 GB computer, it's not really recommended to use this feature, as you won't notice much more performance.

Second, Windows Dreamscene. This Ultimate extra, only available for Ultimate users, allows you to set videos being your wallpaper instead of still images (for example, a real animated waterfall on your computer)! It's by far one of the best features of Vista. Search YouTube if you are looking for more details about this feature.

ReadyBoost sounds very nice. :)

I might go out and buy a 1GB flash drive and stick it in the back of my computer. Just forget about it. :P

Would I see any difference? (I've got 2GB of RAM)

It all sounds nice but I don't have Vista. My computer at home is a Mac, and not even one of the intel macs that support duel boot. I haven't even seen it yet since my friends has a copy of Vista but has not installed it yet. However my parents are buying me a pc laptop for a grad present this year, so I should get to try out Windows Vista really soon, as soon as I get accepted at the university I want to go to. That ReadyBoost thing sounds cool.

Guest Lightning Strike
ReadyBoost sounds very nice. :)

I might go out and buy a 1GB flash drive and stick it in the back of my computer. Just forget about it. :P

Would I see any difference? (I've got 2GB of RAM)

You won't notice much improvement, your machine is already great. :D

Got a Sandisk 2 GB U3 USB flash drive today. Windows says it ain't compatible with ReadyBoost 'cos it's too slow. I edited the registry, and it now accepts it. My system is much faster too. :)

Edit: It seems the Readyboost function wasn't working that well with my pen drive. I went back to Staples and got a refund, then bought a Silicon Power 2 GB Ultima II which is RC. Now it's really working! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lightning Strike
Read this article guys. DO NOT get Vista just yet.

http://www.forbes.com/security/2007/02/10/..._0212vista.html

That's just COMPLETE nonsense. Mark my words. I have read many opinions on Vista, some in favor and some against, but I have never read something as far-fetched as that. DRM? What does a normal user even CARE about DRM? I mean, the common user will use Vista to surf the net, listen to music, etc. simple everyday tasks. Now let's go to a different perspective. Business companies. What do they care about DRM? Exactly. Nothing. They just want a system that's "fast and reliable, so they can get their work done and focus on what matters most in their lives". And it's true. This OS includes many different HIDDEN features. So you must discover them for yourself. .And you can present me with whichever downsides Vista has, but 90% are NOT, my friends, Microsoft fault. Not this time.

My opinion - Vista will dominate the market soon. Stick with XP for now if you like, but sooner or later, you will have to move to Vista.

Vista's a bit pricey for me to get at the moment - I'm afraid I'm stuck with XP for now.

Guest Lightning Strike
Vista's a bit pricey for me to get at the moment - I'm afraid I'm stuck with XP for now.

Yeah, it seems to be quite expensive here in Europe.

Woah I didn't know it was expensive in Europe o_O. Anyways, I never said don't buy Windows Vista. All I'm doing is posting warnings so that you can all be careful. If there's something wrong with that, a mod may delete my post. You can't be in denial all the time. Sure, some people are not experiencing mayor problems, but a lot of them are including my friends. I'm just saying wait for a bit or until they release a service pack 2 for it. That way you can be sure you'll be safe enough.

That's why you wait 6 months or so until all major bugs are fixed, all issues are resolved and a decent collection of tutorials and help-sites are running.

Guest Lightning Strike
That's why you wait 6 months or so until all major bugs are fixed, all issues are resolved and a decent collection of tutorials and help-sites are running.

Well, I prefered to switch, mostly because XP is too old for me. 5 years is a long time.

Why wait for service pack 2, specifically? SP1 for Vista is scheduled to be released in the second half of this year. :)

I haven't really experienced any bugs. Well, nothing serious. The transistion from XP to Vista has been rather easy, actually.

Well, I prefered to switch, mostly because XP is too old for me. 5 years is a long time.
You're absolutely correct - XP is way too old and somewhat buggy, but my parents are pretty much happy with it, and at the rate their opinions are changing, I'll be stuck with XP 'til 2010 and beyond.