Let's talk about GAY MARRIAGE!

Russ

Someone says a different opinion before me ^^ Anyway I agree. To me it shouldn't be called marriage same way black people are still called black and white people white even though they really aren't (that is real colour-wise). It's an establishment that marriage is between man and woman and it shouldn't be different. Civil partnership is fine, if it doesn't have the same benefits as marriage I guess it should to stop the hoopla. Same gender union is not marriage.

I don't think it should be allowed. Bisexuality included.

Like someone here said, a child cant succeed without a male and female role model.

I am a Christian myself and I believe in God fully. In my opinion, homos are not Christians, no matter what they say.

I also don't think it should be allowed that a gendered person would have surgery to become that other gender. Though you don't really become another gender, you gain the outside qualities of one. A male should be happy to be a male and a female should be happy to be a female.

That is all. :mellow:

Wow, okay, I need to respond to this.

"a child cant succeed without a male and female role model."

So I guess any child raised by a single mother or single father cannot succeed? How about children in foster care? I'm incredibly curious to know your opinion on whether or not a caring and loving, financially stable same-sex couple is considered less of a family than a "straight" couple with domestic and financial issues?

Christianity is not about bigotry. Christianity is about love and acceptance for all. Sexuality is not a conscious choice. It matters not to me what you've been raised to believe because I've been through it. Why would anybody choose to be discriminated against? Ridiculed? Beaten up? Looked down upon by society. I didn't choose this because I thought it would be fun one day. This is who I am, and any religion that says I can not be apart of it because of who I was born as is not a religion I choose to respect. Period.

Gratefully, that is not up to you. Again, transgendered people are usually born knowing they are the wrong biological sex. Their mentality on their gender does not add up to the body they were given. Taking steps to rectify the situation is usually life-saving as many transgendered people are suicidal in the body they feel is not theirs. Imagine waking up one day in someone else's body. You would not feel like yourself. You would feel like everything is wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you included, but the LGBT community is not interfering in your life, and you should not interfere in theirs.

Someone says a different opinion before me ^^ Anyway I agree. To me it shouldn't be called marriage same way black people are still called black and white people white even though they really aren't (that is real colour-wise). It's an establishment that marriage is between man and woman and it shouldn't be different. Civil partnership is fine, if it doesn't have the same benefits as marriage I guess it should to stop the hoopla. Same gender union is not marriage.

With all the political correctness bull, "black" and "white" is really only used as slang anymore. In the media, they try to use more "correct" terminology.

Establishments like the one you mentioned change over time. Terminology dies out and is replaced as society progresses. Honestly, I don't care what you call it so long as same-sex and transgendered couples are granted equal rights. However, I still quite believe that "separate is not equal". Calling a partnership between same-sex and hetero couples something different means that the two are not equal, that one is valued below the other. Personally, I wish that "marriage" would be outlawed completely, but that is my unique opinion and I don't expect anybody else to agree with me.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I was quoting someone else on the male and female role model thing.

But most children with a single parent are divorced. So let's say you live with your mom only. She is most likely divorced. So you would go see your divorced father every period of time. Notice the bolded words. There could have been many other situations. Your dad/mom died, your dad/mom moved away, and other possibilities. I was naming one.

Honestly, I didn't understand most of you were saying except the end.

I'm not interfering in anyway with the LGBT community in any way. I never said that every gay or lesbian couple should break up right now, people can do what they want with their lives, it doesn't matter to me. If something on this subject bothers me, it bothers me, i don't do anything about it.

Throughout this entire time, I was stating my opinion only.

But most children with a single parent are divorced. So let's say you live with your mom only. She is most likely divorced. So you would go see your divorced father every period of time. Notice the bolded words. There could have been many other situations. Your dad/mom died, your dad/mom moved away, and other possibilities. I was naming one.

I'm not interfering in anyway with the LGBT community in any way. I never said that every gay or lesbian couple should break up right now, people can do what they want with their lives, it doesn't matter to me. If something on this subject bothers me, it bothers me, i don't do anything about it.

I was stating my opinion as well.

But you agreed with someone else's statement on that only children with a male and female role model can succeed. So I was asking you to further explain your thoughts.

Your logic does not follow. Let's say a good percentage of those children switch off between male and female parents because of a divorce. They have a male and female influence and therefore will be successful, according to you. You failed to talk about those other situations:

"dad/mom died, your dad/mom moved away, and other possibilities"

Does that mean they will be unsuccessful?

What did you not understand about what I was saying?

I'm not sure of your age, but once you are legal to vote, you have a say in civil matters. Voting against people's civil rights is interfering in their lives. That's what irks me about this Christian/Republican bigotry. I'm fine if you do not agree with a lifestyle. That's your right. But it's another thing completely to deny someone equal rights.

And this is the debate chat. It just so happens this is a topic I am very passionate about. I am not here to start a fight or offend anyone, but I will stand up for this.

I have friends who are transgendered, I don't know if they're going to get married but it makes me happy that they can no matter what. Cause they live in New York now :3 I agree Blue, its just marriage! I also like calling everyone a life partner. No matter who I marry, man or woman, I'm calling them that. Enough of these gender shackles. I really like weddings. Planning weddings. Planning parties is what I like XD.

Oh Khaos, I feel so bad for you. Everything you wrote made me want to vomit violently. UUm, NO, most single parents aren't devoirced. Most have never gotten married, like my Mother. I was raised by a single mother. I'm healthy, well-off, published human being. I am extraordinarily successful and will continue to be. I actually take a mild offense to this. A woman doesn't need a man to raise a child. In many cultures, the men have zero interaction with their children until they are men. This one man plus one woman is a completely western concept. And aaargh "homos aren't Christains" What the heck is that? Jesus would not be okay with that, I'm like so sure he wouldn't be. Chriistainity is about loving everyone and treating them as your equals. From King to homeless leaper.

Don't like gay marriage, don't have one. But never prevent anyone else from being happy, because that's just terrible. And what is this tomfoolery about a man is a man and a woman is a woman and they shouldn't have surgry? What? Gender isn't decided by what sex organ you have. Its a delicate balance of hormones, chemicals, and personal choice. And then maybe a little sex organ on the side. AAfdfddgfg it makes me want to become atheist when people sprout such narrow minded views.

I'm prolly speaking way too harsh for a debate topic now.

I agree with you, inkt. Marriage shouldn't be so umph. Its just a really expensive party. I wish they'd back off its importance. I also have a problem with polygamy being outlawed. :I But that's for whole hosts of other reasons.

Like someone here said, a child cant succeed without a male and female role model.

I am a Christian myself and I believe in God fully. In my opinion, homos are not Christians, no matter what they say.

I also don't think it should be allowed that a gendered person would have surgery to become that other gender. Though you don't really become another gender, you gain the outside qualities of one. A male should be happy to be a male and a female should be happy to be a female.

Yeahh... You're totally being removed from my friends list and blocked. GOODBYE.

lol waaaiiit, so people aren't allowed to be bisexual? Um, what on earth does that have to do with gay marriage? If a bisexual person marries the opposite gender, whether or not they're attracted to their own as well has nothing to do with it. You're silly. (:

Also. I dunno who said this before you, but they're silly too. There has been actual research done on gay couples raising children--and guess what! They actually turn out BETTER (intelligence, education, happiness) on average than children from "normal" families. Look it up if you'd like, though I doubt you'd ever do that. Nice try though!

People are entitled to their opinions, and I am entitled to mine. Believe whatever you like. However, when it affects my laws, I get angry. Live and let live. I don't lobby against congress to ban the things I disagree with. Why would you go out of your way to expose yourself to such an "ungodly lifestyle"? If you just minded your own business... okay, this is getting ranty.

Okay so anyway, clearly I agree with gay marriage, since I am a sane, educated person. (Sorry, was that offensive? ...Nah, I don't care haha.) Next!

^ I like the above posters. Clear, coherent, rational, orderly...sane. This is how a debate is conducted. XD

GAY MARRIAGE KILLED THE DINOSAURS. STOP IT BEFORE IT KILLS US TOO!!!!

http://www.facebook....04465246&v=info

Anyway, I am biased towards pro because I am a member of the lgbtq community.

I respect the opinions of others and encourage them to voice their opinions. HOWEVER, do not be hypocritical. If LGBTQ people should not be married because it ruins the sanctity of marriage, then campaign to make divorce illegal as well. If a child must be raised by a male and female figure, then campaign to make childbirth out of wedlock illegal and punishable. My thoughts are along those lines.

Have your opinions and I will have mine. Just do not pick and choose how to apply your opinions because certain things are more convenient and easy to hate than others.

Live and let live.

People can do what they want with their lives, sure, as long as they don't want what they do to be viewed as equal to what the majority does. -rolls eyes-

Saying "I don't think [same-sex marriage] should be allowed" is effectively saying "I don't think love between same-sex couples should be recognized as equal". Saying that is effectively saying "I don't think people with same-sex attractions should be recognized as equal" and that's completely contradictory to all the basic tenets of your faith. If it isn't disgusting and hateful to say that gays shouldn't receive the same rights, it was certainly disgusting of you to say that homosexuals can't be Christians. That is such an awful statement and goes against everything Christianity is supposed to be about.

Why should your prejudices be forced upon others? There is no logical reason to prevent two people who love each other from getting married just because of what is or isn't in their pants.

I really thought Christians were accepting of all people. I've never been a Christian so I don't know for sure. Being a semi-Atheist(I don't think there is a "God" but I'm not ruling it out).

I strongly believe that if somebody's in love, there's nothing you can do about it. This gay marriage thing about how "Oh you're both men/women, you can't marry" is the same thing as a parent saying "He/she has this n that, you can't marry him." to their son/daughter. Nothing should interfere with love for another person or let alone, stop it.

I've never been in love with anybody, I've had crushes, girl-crushes, and strong admiration/attraction but never love LOVE. But I can understand what the reason I stated above would really be wrong.

I really thought Christians were accepting of all people. I've never been a Christian so I don't know for sure. Being a semi-Atheist(I don't think there is a "God" but I'm not ruling it out).

I strongly believe that if somebody's in love, there's nothing you can do about it. This gay marriage thing about how "Oh you're both men/women, you can't marry" is the same thing as a parent saying "He/she has this n that, you can't marry him." to their son/daughter. Nothing should interfere with love for another person or let alone, stop it.

I've never been in love with anybody, I've had crushes, girl-crushes, and strong admiration/attraction but never love LOVE. But I can understand what the reason I stated above would really be wrong.

Sounds like agnosticism to me.

And yeah, Christians should be accepting because Christianity is ultimately about love and respect.. but an unfortunately large proportion of Christians choose to disregard that and disrespect the love of others. :/

I support gay marriage as well as gay rights. I feel that it's just wrong on so many levels to deny two men or two women a marriage (assuming that is what they want). Members of the LGBTQ community deserve the same rights and freedoms as members of the straight community.

Also, what baffles me is that TWENTY states allow marriage between first cousins (incest much?) and only six (?) allow gay marriage. It's absolutely ridiculous how it's a double standard like that. :|

I think that they should have the right to get married everywhere, and that they should be able to call it a MARRIAGE as well, instead of a ''Civil Partnership'' or ''Civil Union''.

People should have the right to be happy and to spend their lives with and marry whoever it is they are in love with, regardless of what sex they are!

Everyone should be able to get married. Love is love. & as a male role, I never had a father only my grandpa and everyone else so they are my male role models and saying, oh they should have a male or female role model, you can find that in a teacher, in a friend, anyone. BTW the bible says accept all and yet people who follow the bible aren't accepting gays. I do not go to church because god is everywhere, you don't have to go to church to talk or be close with him. The bible wasn't written by god but by the monks, many of whom today assault children, many of them boys, what's the difference?

Marriage was usually more about a business arrangement, than anything else, anyway. But whether people believe being gay is a sin or not, is totally irrelevant to me. Legally, it is unconstitutional (U.S.) to not allow gay citizens to get married. It is the government's responsibility to the people to legalize it.

Just like with interracial marriage. If people had voted on that, it never would have become legal.

I think that government should stay out of marriage altogether, no matter who it's involving.

I'm a hetero, Christian female married to a hetero, Christian male. But that doesn't make it my job to tell people how to live their lives. Should I expect that everyone in society lives the way I do? Uhhh, no. It's not for us to decide how people live.

If you're truly a Christian, you'll stop whining about gay marriage and focus instead on how you can better serve God.

I think that government should stay out of marriage altogether, no matter who it's involving.

I'm a hetero, Christian female married to a hetero, Christian male. But that doesn't make it my job to tell people how to live their lives. Should I expect that everyone in society lives the way I do? Uhhh, no. It's not for us to decide how people live.

If you're truly a Christian, you'll stop whining about gay marriage and focus instead on how you can better serve God.

i clapped outloud for that one. wtg!

I don't know how the government is using the term marriage, but the term itself is religious. Why they won't allow it is beyond me. From a religious view, I can see why there may be a debate, but from a political view, there really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Well if you look at it from the "marriage is a Christian word" standpoint, it shouldn't be legal for Atheists to get married either. Or Muslims... or Buddhists... etc.

I thinks it's really disgusting that people can't marry, just because they are man-and-man or woman-and-woman pairs.

I'm so glad that gay marriage is like any other marriage in my country (the netherlands), with all benefits and money they can get from the government.

If i would fell in love, ever, with a woman, i would be SO mad if i couldn't marry, just because of somebody's believe.

of course, i think this way 'cause i'm not christian, then i would say: it's not fair, but ... (and then something else, a good reason for christians, but not for me and other people).

i think that people can believe what they want, and i respect them, but i think that it isn't fair that they can change the lives of others

I'm a Christian but i personally think that this should be legalized. I think it's not that the law prohibits this kind of marriage. I think it's because of the views that religion shares with the people. It's the one which dictated and instigated in peoples' minds that gay marriage if wrong. Sure, gay people may not be able to procreate and all but that's not the reason for marriage. People get married because they LOVE each other. It's a formality announcing to the whole world of their love. In due time, I believe society's ideals and views of gay couples will change (in a good way that is).

The thing is "marriage" has religious connotations. It should be up to each respective religion's beliefs that decide that, not the state or federal government. As sad I think it is to be excluded and judged the way people will, I do want to be respectful of religious beliefs, even if someone isn't respectful of my religious beliefs or life choices.

Although, "civil unions", the legal form of marriage, where the state or federal government recognizes couples as "together" for tax or legal reasons, should be legal for any combination of two people. It's not for the government to decided who can be together.