A Few Reminders

Anime

Hello all!

Recently we've had a fair number of people backseat modding on various threads. Backseat modding is when a user tells another user that they've broken the rules. This is the moderators' job, and backseat modding is considered off topic. If you see that someone has broken the rules, simply report the post with the Report button located on the lower left of all posts, and allow the moderators to handle it. Of course, if someone posts asking about a specific rule, you are free to help explain it. Beyond that, however, please leave the modding to the mods!

Also, there have been several boards posted that we have general threads for. The two most common are Turmaculus Alert threads and Faerie Quest Help threads. Our Turmy board is located in the Neopets Dailies section, a subforum of Neopets General Chat, and the Faerie Quest board is a pinned topic in the Neopets Help section. Please post all related alerts and help requests on the proper boards. This helps keep our forums clean and makes it eaiser for anyone who wishes to visit Turmy or help with a Quest, as they have a specific topic to follow for updates.

As always, thank you for your cooperation, and keep being awesome! :D

ditrey_fly.gif

I sparkle, therefore I am awesome.

Anime

Head Mod

Guest iYoshinho

Would it be alright to tell them (or as staff say "backseat moderate") but also report after telling them? Because if someone gets a mod edit, they really do not tell you about it they just edit your post then forget about it thus making the person not know that it was bad to do that.

Please don't do that. Then we just have to edit two posts, as backseat modding is off topic and against the rules regardless of if it's been reported. I'm aware that people don't always see the edits, but that's part of the reason why we have verbal warnings- even if you didn't see them, with the verbal you're fully informed of what you've done wrong.

Guest iYoshinho

Actually I am practically never notified. I was only notified once on a 7 word rule after that, I did not get any, during that time I noticed I had a 7 word rule note I believe twice, a duplicate topic notice and another one but no notification.

We don't send verbals every time you break a small rule. We do so when a number of small rules have been broken (if they pile up quickly we'll send a verbal for less rule breaks than usual), or a large one has. The date of the last rule break(s) and last verbal (if there are any) also play a part in when someone recieves a verbal or, in some cases, a warn increase. A lot of rule breaks are minor mistakes by older memebrs who know better (and therefore are unlikely to do it again) or new users who either catch on quickly or show no sign of stopping and get an early verbal.

It depends on the forums. A lot of them do have a "no backseat modding" rule, and others don't.

Guest iYoshinho

I still fail to see the problem with members helping out the moderators while reporting them too. Makes the moderators job easier, I know that it is easier cause I am an admin and moderator on 2 forums.

Well, people breaking rules happens so infrequently that a team of 4 mods is sufficient. Think about it. If everybody in the world could act like police, there wouldn't really be a point to having police :P I guess the sane can apply here

Besides, I think if the mods cared that much about their workload, they'd find some place that would pay them, or they'd quit...

It makes it harder for us because, as I said above, then we have to edit two posts. The original rule break, and the backseat modding post. Neither break magically vanishes if someone else corrects them. And, while this isn't as common, it is possible for a member to misinterpret a rule, or otherwise give incorrect information when a rule is broken. There are specific times and places where the rules are relaxed a bit. The mods are fully up-to-date on the staff's overall decisions, and can eaisly and quickly speak to both Ian and myself in the case of something they're not sure of. A normal member doesn't have that sort of knowledge or access and therefore risks giving incorrect information on a rule break.

Guest iYoshinho

You wouldn't have the trouble of editing 2 posts if backseat modding was allowed as long as they report also :P

Again, this has the potential to lead to members giving incorrect information. This rule has been in effect since the forums started, and it shall remain in effect.

The current system works well for TDN, I'd leave the rule making and enforcement issues to them as well. just because it works well somewhere else doesn't mean it will work well here. If they need help I'm sure they will ask for it via mod apps :)

Why would someone do that

82112.gif

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make all posts at least 7 words long. Smilies and iamges do not count as words.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever works. I would generally leave it to the moderators anyway...

*Edit:

I wish that the boards could be locked when it is long after three weeks since they have been posted on, but I will just have to try harder to avoid getting to much into one of the topics while reading its posts...I tend to forget to check the date when I do...:*

When I catch myself I will self report.

• 3 months later...

The current system works well for TDN, very well. :)

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.