What is item pooling?

summertwinkle

Ok, so I came across this board on the Avatar Chat asking why nobody lends for the stock avatar. I understand the risks of the stock market (real or not) and I don't even lend for the Adam avatar unless it's a close friend that I trust. But someone brought up item pooling. I saw that under the title on the Neoboard index too, so I figured it'd be wise to inform myself.

What is item pooling and why is it not allowed?

Thanks for answering.

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=239

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=424

Item pooling is simply having someone collect np/resources from multiple players for the purpose of buying/obtaining avatar item(s) or the avatar. 2 editorials mentioned that it is not allowed, as item pooling can lead to players becoming dishonest, and allowing them to effectively steal from others.

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=239

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=424

Item pooling is simply having someone collect np/resources from multiple players for the purpose of buying/obtaining avatar item(s) or the avatar. 2 editorials mentioned that it is not allowed, as item pooling can lead to players becoming dishonest, and allowing them to effectively steal from others.

Oh dear, I might have violated one of the rules in the past then. I lent my friend for the Adam avatar, but not for the full amount since she had some np on hand. I mean...it's less risky for me (not that I don't trust her) if I lend out the least amount possible for her to get the avatar. I mean trust is one thing...but protection for myself is more important! If I don't need to lend the full amount, I'd rather not, especially since TNT makes it hard to do trades of high amounts (which makes sense to protect users from scams).

As for the lending guilds in one of the editorials, I don't think it's item pooling if people are donating, it means they'are not expecting to get it back. I don't know who will be primarily responsible for the items. In the guild I was in, it seems like just a collection of lenders rather or the lender has been gifted things to have enough resources to run the guild.

Thanks for the petpage too. I thought vouching was just how much I trust this person because I lent her millions before XD. I didn't know people thought as far as if there was liability involved.

rules are rules :( . For a guild avatar lending system to work, I'm assuming the volunteers would have to afford their own avatar items, and cannot take donations to help finance the items.

The major concern is likely this: what does the guild to if the person hosting the donation shop & avatar lending items decides to become dishonest? The incentive could have been: donate and we can afford avatar items, and once enough donations are taken, the person hosting the avatar lend could disappear with a large sum of np. Those who donated wouldn't feel so good :(

That's what ALP is doing though to eventually fund a BGC or something more expensive! Donations are not mandatory, so I think if you're gonna donate, you shouldn't be expecting concrete benefits from this. Otherwise, that's an exchange. Donations are gifts. At least that's how I see it. Also, if it's not an established guild (with avatar items already in circulation), I doubt anyone would donate, now would they? And say they did decide to stop running the agency and sold the avatar item, it's unlikely you'd get your donation back either, so there's no obligation to pay you back.

For example, to encourage my friend towards her goal, I said I'd help her pay the rest of the np required for a darigan PB. I'm gifting her the np so that she can afford one for her own use. There's no concrete benefits to me aside from giving her something she'd like. It's up to her what she wants to do with np now. Of course, I'd like to see the things I gift her used but it's now up to her how she uses it.

I think this is the mind set that you should have when donating/gifting for any reason.

I don't know...I just thought TNT's verdict was not really according to their own rule 'cause you shouldn't be expecting a return from donations anyway.