What exactly is the Altador Cup?

eel

So, I only recently started looking into all the various activities on Neopets, as opposed to staying in my own little corner of entertaining flash games. And everyone's talking about this thing called the Altador Cup. It sounded interesting, so I went looking for information - but I can't seem to find anything geared toward someone who has absolutely no idea what it is. I've gathered that you join a team, and play some games, and somehow all this translates to winning a tournament and getting prizes, but I can't find anything that clearly lays out exactly how this works.

Mostly I want to know: When is it? (Since it doesn't appear to be going on right now). What difference does it make which team you join? How does the whole tournament aspect work? And anything else you think would be useful for an AC noob to know. Or if you have a link to an "ABCs of AC" kind of thing that I missed, that would be great too. :)

It's a super awesome competition every June-July that's similar to the FIFA World Cup. Each Neopian land has a team of 5 yooyuball players (a sport similar to soccer). When you join a team, you can play yooyuball by controlling the 5 players and try to score goals. There are also 3 side games (mentioned in next sentence) that are simple keyboard games. For 34 days, you play every other team 2 times (known as the Double Round Robin) in yooyuball, Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise, and Shootout Showdown. A Yooyuball win is worth about the same of other 3 games combined, so yooyuball is really the highlight game.

You should join a team from your favorite land. :)

I'm on our Altador Cup Team, so if you have more questions, feel free to PM me! :D