Firefox problems

Angeló

Hello guys

for the past few days my Firefox (latest version .. I think 8) .... would stop responding if I keep it open for a long time (like with Habitarium) and the Flash Player will crash ... or if I open many tabs (usually when I read the news , I open about 20 tabs)

I get that "there is a script that stopped running" .. bla bla bla and then it tell me to "stop script" ...

But in the same time when this happens ,, my laptop kinda tilts too ... and Windows just stops responding completely .. most of the time I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete (Task Manager) to quit all the processes ... and I lose hours of time on Habitarium :( :(

To be honest I don't know if this is a problem with my Laptop (Windows) or with FireFox ...

HELP PLEASE

i never run neopets with ie or firefox anymore, too many adobe crash issues. try using chrome, it seems to work pretty well for me. ^_^ alternatively, you could try reinstalling flash, although i'm not positive how well that'll work.

and a tilting computer? that doesn't sound too good. o_O i wonder if it might be memory issue that's making habbie crash for you. but i don't see why it would make your computer tilt though.

edited to add: i'm actually pretty certain it's a working memory issue, but i'm no comp geek unfortunately so i can't be 100% sure. when you have a ton of tabs and hab open, load your task manager and see how much memory/cpu you're using. i notice that when my numbers are high my ie tends to crash more often. i guess the solution would just be to monitor how many processes you're running...habbie sucks a lot of working memory out of my (very old) comp, so that may be the case with you as well. alrighty -- time to end this wall of text! ^_^

I have that crash problem with both chrome and firefox occasionally. The best thing that works for me is a simple restart or turning the computer off for like 40 seconds. Usually resets it enough for it to be alright.

I personally have nothing but problems when I use Safari or Firefox, on ANY site, but I think that might have to do with my computer being Mac OSX and not a PC. Google Chrome works well for me, so maybe you should consider downloading it and giving that a try? If it happens on all of your browsers it could be a problem with our computer. Good luck!

First off, there was just an update for flash so making sure your flash is updated may help. But also, Habitarium takes a lot of effort for computers to run so it may just be your computer may not have enough power to successfully run it. Or the culprit may be your internet provider because I know that personally when my internet connection speed slows down a bit, Habitarium occasionally freaks out on me because it can't keep up.

There also might be a build of of junk files slowing your computer down. I have a couple programs I run about 1-2 times/week (they only take a couple minutes) that detect PC junk files and clean things up. Between this and using Chrome, no problems.

The programs are PC ScanAndSweep and PC Speedscan pro. Both are paid programs, but I find they're worth having and I always renew. You might be able to find something similar for free.

Has this been an ongoing problem or is it something that just started happening?

Thanks for the replies :)

- My Laptop is relatively new (bought it in 2010)

- I always clean my Temp files and cache memory

- This has been going on for the past couple days only .. I had this problem in the past .. but it was very occasional .. like once in a while

- I just remembered that Flash player asked to be updated a couple days ago but I ignored it (I was in a hurry to go out) .. so I updated to Flash 11 ... and it seems to be working so far .. I'll run Habitarium all night and see what happens in the morning

Meh. firefox. better than internet explorer, but really? USE CHROME. its so awesome! super fast and amazing. sorry. I don't think that was helpful, but just try to avoid doing what you listed then XD

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

If you're stating that your post isn't helpful, it doesn't really contribute to the conversation in any way.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I think FF 8.0 is the problem .. it did crash ,, again

Do you by any chance use Roboform? The Roboform extension for Firefox hooks in a bunch of DLLs that have been causing crashes with several Firefox versions (the frequency increased with Firefox 8). Firefox 8.0.1 was recently released to blocklist this extension, and you may want to go to Help > About to make sure you're up to date.

If you're not using Roboform, then it's possible that your system may be having some odd issue with Firefox 8, or that the update exposed some pre-existing issue.

I just switched to Chrome as my primary browser until they fix FF ...

Since by the 'they' you're including me, it would be great if you could provide additional information on the issue if possible. :) Precisely what script is it that stops responding? And does Firefox actually crash before you kill it yourself? If so, and if you submitting the resulting crash report, you can link me to the crash report by loading about:crashes via the Firefox location bar.

Could you post the contents of about:support for us here?

It should also be noted that 9 out of 10 problems are TPBTK a browser its self does not simply crash of its own accord so it is either something you're doing or something in the profile causing it. You can test this by first running the browser in safe mode which will disable addons and plugins and make it possible to check if the BROWSER is crashing (which is unlikely). If that still persists then you need to test it with a clean profile. If it still persists then it could be a browser problem.

Heh, no worries. We're both programmers so... :P

Basically what it boils down to, sans-jargon, is:

1. We both work on Firefox, so figuring out this problem is of some interest.
  2. There are some built-in features in Firefox which can provide some extra information that might help to find the problem.
  3. If you type about:support into Firefox's URL bar and load it, you should get a troubleshooting information page. The 'Copy all to clipboard' button will let you paste that information here so we can take a look at it.
  4. Firefox usually submits crash reports when it crashes (unless you tell it not to). If you type about:crashes into Firefox's URL bar and load it, you should get a list of the crash reports that Firefox has submitted, along with links to the full reports. If the date on any of the crash reports falls within the time you've been experiencing this problem, copying and pasting the report links for us would be very helpful.

:)

There are a number of scripts for the Firefox extension Greasemonkey that can be used to change the quality settings for your Habitarium, as they aren't exposed anywhere else. This post has a quick tutorial. :)

I really don't know why TNT didn't have a Low Quality Flash button for Habitarium. Even Treasure Keepers has one.

There used to be an LQF add-on for FF but I'm not sure if it is updated for FF 8 if you want to check that out instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Chrome is the best browser in my opinion. It's fast and easy to use, and it never crashes-you should definitely start using it instead of FF. I NEVER use IE because it sucks-crashes and laggs all the time.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts on topic. The poster of this board was looking for help with issues on their current browser.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.