Converting .swfs to .pngs

massy

Help please!

So I have got as far as being able to download .swfs and then decompile them (using the trial version of trillix). I can then 'export' either the shapes or the sprites separately giving me .swfs of the individual images I want...but then I come to a dead end...I can't make those .swfs into usable .pngs in order to design with them. Seriously stuck! Considering the vast amount of graphics I see that utilise this technique...some of you must have the know how! Would hugely appreciate some pointers.

I have read: http://www.neopets.c...iramia ....which helped a bit but doesn't actually give you the exact 'how to'...so I'm stumped. :(

My personal approach is to take a screenie of the .swf on the web... and use that in graphics. I rarely (if ever) need them bigger, so that works for me. :P

It seems (from the software description) that Trillix can take a .swf and allow you to save it in .fla (which you would be able to open with Adobe Flash, and then export in png...)

Keep getting myself into trouble today. XD Sorry.

What I meant by that is that if you can't get a copied image from the person who made the SWF file to begin with you probably shouldn't be using their work. Even if you're using it for something completely different a lot of artists consider that to be art theft and would be very unhappy with you. I'd see if you can't get another artist to make something like what you're looking for - they'll also be able to offer you a file that is easilly manipulated and would probably work better for whatever you're trying to do.

That said, the screenshot thing will probably get you a grab of the image but the quality won't be great. I don't know what else to tell you.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts on topic. If you have nothing to add to the original topic or question, please don't post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I've tried to figure it out too but without downloading flash. I hope someone knows a different way. I know if I go on a trial of flash I'll end up buying it and I really don't want to lol. I found a program called something like swf to png converter, but it was a buy before you try deal and I don't want to risk money like that.

I just take a screenshot now, I think that might just be the easiest way.

Keep getting myself into trouble today. XD Sorry.

What I meant by that is that if you can't get a copied image from the person who made the SWF file to begin with you probably shouldn't be using their work. Even if you're using it for something completely different a lot of artists consider that to be art theft and would be very unhappy with you. I'd see if you can't get another artist to make something like what you're looking for - they'll also be able to offer you a file that is easilly manipulated and would probably work better for whatever you're trying to do.

That said, the screenshot thing will probably get you a grab of the image but the quality won't be great. I don't know what else to tell you.

The screenshots I get are not bad quality at all. :P It takes a .png capture that is perfectly fine to make userlookup with. =p It's also not against Neopets terms to take any of their artwork if you use it on their site or have the disclaimer saying it's copyright to them. Many many people are using wearables images to make graphics around Neopets now. All you need is firebug add-on in firefox to get the urls and you are set.

• 3 weeks later...

What I've been doing recently is going to Dress to Impress, putting backgrounds on an Invisible pet, then viewing the outfit in a new window. Doing that lets me use my browser's zoom tools (ctrl +) to expand the size of the swf until it's as big as I can get it. Then I just screenie and stitch the two halves together. I've gotten several 1200 x 1200 px background images that way and I'm sure I could get larger if I wanted to.

Edit: just tried a whole slew of programs. Sothink's SWF to Video converter seems best. Allows you to screenshot swfs at up to 2880 x 2880 px or capture series of frames to make into animated gifs. This, along with http://www.neopets.com/~hawiku should be incredibly beneficial to anyone looking for big screenies.