So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I'm currently reading The Shining by Stephen King. Even though I love the movie, for some reason I never felt like I should read the book. But then I heard about how much Stephen King hates the movie and then I felt compelled to read the book, lol.

I'm currently reading The Shining by Stephen King. Even though I love the movie, for some reason I never felt like I should read the book. But then I heard about how much Stephen King hates the movie and then I felt compelled to read the book, lol.

Oh wow... that movie gave me the heebie jeebies. Not to mention, my friend and I still argue for hours on whether the hotel characters are "ghosts" or figments of jack's "insanity". I have never read the book but everyone says it gives you a whole new insight on King's original intentions for the story line and that the book blows the movie out of the water.

-----

On another note, I just finished reading Charlaine Harris' True Blood series and was highly disappointed with the ending. Still a good read but I recommend not reading the last book and keeping your idea of how it should end.

If you enjoy teenage fantasy romance novels, let me recommend Quinn Loftis to you. She has a wonderful werewolf series called the Grey Wolves that isn't the best grammatically speaking, but the characters and humor will blow you away.

I am now starting the George R. R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series since the whole Game of Thrones tv show seems to be a hit and I also got paid last friday :D. Haven't watched the show, but I think I would enjoy the books. (:

I finished rereading The Hungergames by Suzanne Collins (the first in the series) last weekend, and right now I'm going to continue reading Where She Went by Gayle Forman (the sequel to If I Stay). So far, so good. (Whilst reading all of the three books in this post, I bawled my eyes out, just an FYI)

Oh wow... that movie gave me the heebie jeebies. Not to mention, my friend and I still argue for hours on whether the hotel characters are "ghosts" or figments of jack's "insanity". I have never read the book but everyone says it gives you a whole new insight on King's original intentions for the story line and that the book blows the movie out of the water.

I finished reading the novel today! It was definitely worth reading. A lot of things made much more sense and the characters are 100x better. I can't say I prefer the book now, but I don't prefer the movie either, if that makes sense. lol. Pretty much all of the most iconic scenes weren't in the book, and I couldn't do without those. And I love the aesthetic. And think I also prefer the movie's ending. But character-wise, I'd stick to the book all the way.

As for the ghost vs insanity thing, I personally don't think there's much to argue about. Definitely ghosts. The pantry scene (which is also in the book) confirms this.

I am currently reading The City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare of The Mortal Instruments Series. I absolutely LOVE this series and highly recommend it. I'm very sad that it is the last book in the series. :/

On another note, I just finished reading Charlaine Harris' True Blood series and was highly disappointed with the ending. Still a good read but I recommend not reading the last book and keeping your idea of how it should end.

I got halfway through and had no way to obtain the other books. I really love the books, but was highly disappointed with the show.

Another book series I recommend is the Dexter series. The first season of the show and the first book line up almost exactly, but the second book is nothing like the second season. So, if you have watched the show, I still recommend reading the books since the stories are pretty much completely different.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I started reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last night. I don't really know what to expect (I've only read about 4 chapters). I've had this book in my wishlist for years because someone recommended it to me. I can't even remember why they recommended it in the first place, but I figured it was time to get on with it once and for all. It will be kind of a surprise reading, I guess. lol.

Has anyone read Queen of the Tearling and can recommend it? I love dystopian stories, but I'm kinda fed up with YA dystopian novels. I'd like some more adult stuff (if anyone can rec any).

I'm finally reading Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, which has been on my shelf for months. After reading Mein Kampf (and feeling really horrified by it) it took me a while to get back to reading something politically charged...

Has anyone read Queen of the Tearling and can recommend it? I love dystopian stories, but I'm kinda fed up with YA dystopian novels. I'd like some more adult stuff (if anyone can rec any).

It's pretty OK. If you are a hardcore fan of Fantasy novels then no, it's pretty disappointing by itself. There's enough action, though, to entertain. If you can just borrow it and not buy it, it'll be worth your while :P I wasn't super excited by it, but that's after reading Words of Radiance.

What "adult stuff" are you looking for? What genres do you normally read? I have just finished reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk - that's something I'll always recommend. Actually, anything Palahniuk is highly recommended ;)

Currently reading Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore (again, anything Moore is highly recommended!)

I'm reading "Where She Went", the sequel to "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman (and knocking on wood that they don't make a movie about it!)

It's just as ingrosing as the first book, and I'm really excited to finsih it.

It's pretty OK. If you are a hardcore fan of Fantasy novels then no, it's pretty disappointing by itself. There's enough action, though, to entertain. If you can just borrow it and not buy it, it'll be worth your while :P I wasn't super excited by it, but that's after reading Words of Radiance.

What "adult stuff" are you looking for? What genres do you normally read? I have just finished reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk - that's something I'll always recommend. Actually, anything Palahniuk is highly recommended ;)

Thanks Rune! I was considering reading it b/c Emma Watson plans on starring in the movie adaptation, and it looked interesting (I'm trying to query my dystopian novel soon after I give my manuscript one more go)... so I'll probably borrow it instead of buying the book.

I read a lot of lit fic, particularly Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Hemingway, etc. Do you know any post-apocalyptic lit in the adult category? I'm trying to find anything post-apocalyptic that doesn't revolve around teenagers killing each other.

Thanks Rune! I was considering reading it b/c Emma Watson plans on starring in the movie adaptation, and it looked interesting (I'm trying to query my dystopian novel soon after I give my manuscript one more go)... so I'll probably borrow it instead of buying the book.

I read a lot of lit fic, particularly Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Hemingway, etc. Do you know any post-apocalyptic lit in the adult category? I'm trying to find anything post-apocalyptic that doesn't revolve around teenagers killing each other.

You could try Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. It's the story of a post-apocalyptic United States after something called "The Calamity" happened and random people started to develop superpowers, and subsequently tried to conquer/destroy cities :P The story revolves around a group trying to take them down. I'm not too fond of dystopian literature though so this is the closest I've got

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still reading Where She Went.

I swung by the library with my mom, and picked up the first 7 books of Attack on Titan, though.

No word on when I'll finish Where She Went.

So I'm still reading Where She Went.

No word on when I'll finish Where She Went.

Haha, same here, I started reading Where She Went about six months ago, still no further.

Now, however, I'm reading letters by Plini and Cicero for my Latin exam that I have in two weeks. Those guys have an incredibly annoying huge ego, and everything that happens to them or that they do/say is either SO SAD :sad02: or SO INCREDIBLY AMAZING :D. It annoys me to no end, but if I want to graduate I'll have to keep reading. Sigh.

Recently I've listened to As You Like It, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara, and The Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie. All quite enjoyable.

Next up: Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury and The Plague by Albert Camus (I read the latter for French class, en français, but I didn't have time to read it properly).

Woah, has it really been since February that I posted in here? I finished both Farewell Summer (bizarre and utterly creepy at the end...) and The Plague (apparently I didn't miss much by skimming in high school). I finished re-reading Code Name Verity (I got chills in a few places... seriously, read this book!). And I read Faster, Better, Stronger, which supposedly reveals the best scientific knowledge about improving various aspects of fitness, with suggestions on how to balance programming. The book is seven years old, so some of the science is already outdated, and the website that's supposed to have updates with the latest science is gone -- and the domain was bought by someone else. Also, the programming info didn't really explain how to balance everything, and there was some conflicting advice. I've found better tools on-line. Still a decent read if you're just beginning a fitness journey, or are confused by all the myths and want to sort fact from fiction. And they do have some easy self-assessment tools. I recommend borrowing it from a library if you're interested.

I've listened to Othello (my favorite Shakespeare so far, by far -- Iago makes most villains look incompetent), Beloved by Toni Morrison, Unbroken (a bit longer and dryer than it could have been... and I know it's important to remember and make sure that kind of abuse doesn't happen again, but sometimes describing it in so much detail... I don't know, it almost seems like an invasion of privacy or a secondary dehumanization... like rubbernecking, where people are just looking out of curiosity, and not really thinking about the victim... there was just something about the writing that made me feel uncomfortable), Crispin: At the Edge of the World by Avi (which ended in the most annoying cliffhanger; the open ending worked for the first book and it could have stood alone with no sequel, but now I'm left waiting for the third...), and Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.

I'm currently listening to Execution: the discipline of getting things done, which is actually more for businesses than individuals, though there are a few suggestions for individuals (things like 5 things a person needs to execute: authenticity, self-awareness, self-mastery, self-confidence, and humility... not really rocket science). Next on audiobooks: Shakespeare's King John, The "essential" John Milton, and Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou.

I'm currently reading The Genius of Flexibility, which is pretty difficult to read (it's a bit disorganized), but I'm hoping the stretching routines will make slogging through his background info worth it. The author has worked with a number of talented athletes, including Olympic swimmer Dara Torres. I've also got Rose Under Fire (the companion book to Code Name Verity) and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (we learned about him in an online class I took for church, and I was intrigued enough to request the book); I'm really looking forward to diving into both.

I'm currently reading True Colors (a star wars republic commando book) and book 2 of the Parasol Protectorate. I'm really enjoying both, even if the republic commando book is triggering one of my phobias a little bit lol. But the Parasol Protectorate is great cause I adore werewolves and have gotten very tired of them being made into the bad guys. But in the Parasol Protectorate they're the good guys! :D

Currently reading Skulduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked.

I still need to get through Last Stand of Dead Men before my The Dying Of The Light arrives (had to get my brother to buy it for me in Australia! :()

I am currently reading Cookwise for a Chemistry study. I am a huge Chemistry nerd and this book reveals all the secrets to cooking and baking using Chemistry! I LOVE IT

I recently got to take a week long hike on AT, and when I got back the book Wild (about a woman that up and hikes the PCT) was ready for me at the library. I'd only selected it because it seemed like a movie I would see, and I want to read those books first. Turns out, it's been very.. relevant. My mom passed away this year, and I took on a lot of responsibilities to cope, and this hike I took was part of it. It's eerie sometimes, but still a really good read.

• 1 month later...

I just started reading Foundations by Isaac Asimov.  It's so nice to be on holiday!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was gifted Amy Poehler's book "Yes Please" this past Christmas, but my Spring semester was so hectic I had zero time for pleasure reading. Now that it's summer I've been blazing through books, and so far it's a great read!