So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I've read Animal Farm and 1984. I also enjoy Animal Farm more, but I'm not much into politics, so many of these authors I'm not interested in.

I've also read A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley- again, it was decent, but not my type of novel.

Currently flipping between re-reading Generation Kill by Evan Wright, the last book of the Night Angel series - Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks and Demonsbane (from the Diablo Archives)

The former is a book written by an embedded writer about the First Reconnaissance Battalion during the Iraq Invasion in 2003. Very interesting and sort of straightforward (this book was also made into an HBO miniseries). The latter two are fantasy/adventure and very full of magic and intrigue! Gotta love me some Diablo :P

One of my favorite non-SK books is "Johnny got his gun" by Dalton Trumbo. I originally started reading it because I am a big Metallica fan and this book is what inspired their song "One". This is such a strong and emotional book... I really reccomend it. It might be slightly hard to come by though, as it is pretty old. (the copy I have is older than I am! :O )

Currently flipping between re-reading Generation Kill by Evan Wright, the last book of the Night Angel series - Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks and Demonsbane (from the Diablo Archives)

The former is a book written by an embedded writer about the First Reconnaissance Battalion during the Iraq Invasion in 2003. Very interesting and sort of straightforward (this book was also made into an HBO miniseries). The latter two are fantasy/adventure and very full of magic and intrigue! Gotta love me some Diablo :P

I've wanted to read Evan Wright's book. I watched the series and enjoyed it. Was the book good?

Brave New World made me want to shoot myself in the face. I just wanted to punch all the characters in the face.

I've wanted to read Evan Wright's book. I watched the series and enjoyed it. Was the book good?

Brave New World made me want to shoot myself in the face. I just wanted to punch all the characters in the face.

The book tells the story the same way the series does, very honest and really captures the marines :) I really liked the fact that Wright gives backgrounds to most of the guys you see in the series, like how some of the guys earn the reputation and respect of their peers, that sort of thing. Really interesting read if you enjoyed the series! Naturally there are some things in the book don't completely match the series, but it's something you're going to have to put aside. Also, if you like the show, you should Youtube the Generation Kill Interview where a few of the marines talk about the show. ^^,

I've also read A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley- again, it was decent, but not my type of novel.

I'm about to read A Brave New World. hopefully i like it.

I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It's one of the books where I actually liked the movie better... I couldn't get over the author's style. But the plot and dialogue were good- just not the writing.

I've got about... 6 on the go right now, some for school and a couple for fun.

As I Lay Dying- William Fulkner (school)

The Virgin Suicides- Jeffrey Eugenides (school)

The Good Soldier-Ford Maddox Ford (school)

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close-Jonathan Sanfran Foer (school)

The Tao of Willie- Willie Nelson (fun)

A Delusion of Satan: The Full Story of the Salem Witch Trials- Frances Hill (fun)

Lord Of The Flies is one of my favorite books of all time

Oh my god Angelo I love that book. I read it a few years back and thought it was sensational. Then for my GCSE English Literature exam we had to study it so I learnt it super well. Sometimes studying a book and dissecting it can ruin it but for me it just highlighted what a powerful and well-written book it is. Hats off to William Golding.

:D

Brave new world is awesome~

Okay, here's one on my sister's keeper. :3

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

I just read My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult… It’s now my favourite book by her. I personally do feel that Picoult is overrated, but there are two books I’ve read that have stuck in my mind. One: House Rules – Which I’ll talk about on a later date and Two: My Sister’s Keeper.

She did a really great job with this book… there are two major turning points in it. One, when Anna reveals that backing of her filed suing is Kate, and two, when Anna dies. The Kate thing is new, but it’s not so much of a suprise, mostly because when you read enough, you realise that all stories have a dramatic twist/turning point. If they don’t, they’re called fairy tales:

Cinderella goes to the ball.

Meets Prince.

Marries Prince.

Lives happily ever after.

A STORY, though, would go along the line of:

Cinderella goes to ball.

Meets Prince.

Marries the oh-so-perfect Prince, who is smitten with her.

Then realizes he has a deadly secret.

Etc.

So the Kate thing was okayyyyy and the thing about Campbell, too. (WHICH PARENT WOULD NAME THEIR KID CAMPBELL??!) I mean, from the start you know he always loved Julia and gave her up for a good reason etc etc etc but I was SUPER excited to get to the point where he gave his secret up, instead of all the awesomely hilarious but untrue ones that are revealed earlier. I will post all of them separately, later, when I scout them out.

Anyway, when I found out why, it wasn’t a big deal, and that led to a kind of let down, too. :<

But I like the bit when Anna dies, really, because it made me think. Basically my thoughts were going along the line of:

“I wonder what her parents feel.”

“Spending whole lives worrying about the other one dying, and now Anna going away.”

“Can you imagine that they pampered and gave everything to the wrong kid; took everything away from the one who died in the end?”

And, the first and foremost one:

“Damn.”

The thing about this is, I’ve not grown to love any of the characters. In fact, I realize that in all of Picoult’s books, even if I can cry for a character, even if I can feel angry for one, even if I can explode with injustice for another, I never actually end up in love with them.

What I do like, though, are the COURT SCENES – because they are awesome and amazing and the arguments are just beautiful. I would love to watch a real one one day, just sneak into court and listen to the life of someone who I don’t even know being battled and pulled apart by two opposing counsels, with the hope that the one that is right will be able to get his work done.

But even then, there is the problem when there is never a “right”, right?

I liked that about this book. There was no right or wrong final verdict (I also liked that Kate survived in place of her sister – although I didn’t feel happy or anything for her. I think Picoult could have put in more about her from around the whole story looking at things from different character’s point of view. There’s so little about her, I don’t know what kind of person she is. At least I know Anna. But she’s dead, so it doesn’t matter.), which put a damper on the scene, and kind of ruined the whole argument thing that I LOVE, but the non right wrong thing worked out beautifully, so. icon_smile.gif?m=1306998945g

Anna dying was a very good plot twistage/manipulation, very well done, Picoult! Though obviously you would not care about a girl spewing out words about you and your books. Still.

I loved this.

You go, Anna. You go.

EDIT: 8.5/10.

I've got about... 6 on the go right now, some for school and a couple for fun.

As I Lay Dying- William Fulkner (school)

The Virgin Suicides- Jeffrey Eugenides (school)

The Good Soldier-Ford Maddox Ford (school)

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close-Jonathan Sanfran Foer (school)

The Tao of Willie- Willie Nelson (fun)

A Delusion of Satan: The Full Story of the Salem Witch Trials- Frances Hill (fun)

lol those sound extremely interesting... I'll have to check them out.

Also, i've heard of My Sisters' Keeper but haven't read it yet... it sounds good.

And as a side note, I started Siddhartha by Hesse... NOT the German version. it's interesting but very bad grammar-wise. I think I like it.

:D Neil Gaimen.

Ooh have you read Good Omens? I love that book! Aziraphale & Crowley are such cool characters (and names) love it :D

By the way has anyone read A Clockwork Orange? I know it's meant to be pretty disturbing and graphic but it's ranked as one of the top 100 english novels so maybe it's worth a read. Just wanted to know if any of you guys would recommend it. I've read some pretty hard-hitting stuff (lolita by nabokov was both horrible and very well-written) so it shouldn't like...I don't know, traumatise me or anything.

My Sister's Keeper lies open in front of me. In another room, Scarecrow, Army of Thieves is waiting. I'm up to a bit of a gory bit, though, so I'm giving it a break. Certainly not a book for the under-16s. There's something else on the dining-room table, but I can't quite remember the name, and there's yet another book on the far side of my bed that I'm almost done. Yeah, I read a lot :D

There's another two books that I'm reading, except I'm going through these ones slowly, to get the most out of them. Sitting next to my bed is Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. I also realised I've never read Mere Christianity before, and I'm planning to have a read of that sometime soon.