Rubbish Avatar Not Random After All

hrtbrk

I'm waiting while I collect junk. It's amazing how much harder it is to find 1 NP items now. When the avatar was released, I had just sold a bunch of junk items, and I still haven't collected 1,000 back. (I'm holding out for 1 NP items, though. I'm sure I could get items faster if I just went up to 2 or 3 NP.)

It's too bad, though, that if everyone waits, we'll never figure out the solution!

I thought that 5,000 was the magic number as well.

So I went out and bought 6,000 junk items. The bulk of them was the Rusty Old Can.

Then I put all of my junk items 5,500 (I couldn't stand to buy 500 more) in my inventory. I went to the quick stock and clicked "check all" submitted...nothing...refreshed clicked "check all" again... nothing... third time I got the avatar with 5,290 items of junk left in my inventory.

I feel like the more junk you have on hand the better your chances are as it is a rubbish avatar and you only really supposed to have 50 items on hand at any given time.

Good luck to those who haven't gotten it yet :)

It might also have something to do with what else you have in your inventory at the time, and like other people said, time of day... So many factors! I'm sure we'll all get it eventually.

They hinted that there were "steps" to get the new avvie that the angry yurble janitor would be happy about. Plural, so I'm guessing that there's more to it than discarding ~5k items, even if you take timing into consideration.

Maybe it has something to do with visiting somewhere on the site /before/ discarding. Ex. getting some of the junk items from the money tree or dump or 2nd hand shop etc. and discarding within a certain amount of time after obtaining those items.

I have a few ideas:

1. Someone mentioned the # of items in your SDB, and that seems like a possibility to me. It could be the total items, the # of different items, or the ratio of total to different. This could be a first step, the next being to remove items from your SDB to discard.
  2. Maybe account age affects it, and older accounts would have to discard more items, or fewer.
  3. TNT may have kept track of how many items we've *ever* discarded, and that would count toward the minimum # of items discarded, if there is one.

I doubt there's been a counter before now. If there had been, it would be next to impossible to figure out (and I'm sure some people would have gotten it automatically).

Age correlation? Hmmm that would make sense. But I think we can rule that out - nURLo and sftangliz are only 6 months different in account age but their numbers seem to be vastly different.

Both had 5k+ items in their inventory. Maybe you have to have so many in your inventory before you can get it?

Maybe it has something to do with visiting somewhere on the site /before/ discarding. Ex. getting some of the junk items from the money tree or dump or 2nd hand shop etc. and discarding within a certain amount of time after obtaining those items.

To add to this thought (in hopes of helping anyone figure out a solution):

I did not get any of my items from the money tree or dump, second hand shop or anyone's shop. I only got them from my sdb.

I did not get any specific items, only the mass quanity junk items.

I got my avvie on February 13th, so that would be the second Monday of the month.

I had done my usual dailies so I did not visit anywhere special.

I decided to try my luck at getting the Rubbish avvie but had no hopes since random avvies alude me.

I placed a small number of junk items (less than 100) in my inventory with my other things and discarded them one at a time and then random numbers at a time. Nothing.

I visited the neo boards to see any suggestions/help.

There was a person with a board collecting info on people who were trying to get the avvie. It seemed at that time there were several people getting it in the same manner. Having 5000+ in their inventory, discarding 70 at a time. Some people got it with more discards, some with less. I thought at the time maybe it had to do with a % of junk you had in your sdb that you had to discard.

So I followed what others on the board were doing and I put away all of my other items from my inventory and mass loaded my inventory with junk from my sdb. If I remember correctly I had about 15k+ items in my sdb and when I finished I had about 9k+ in my sdb. After I got the avvie I still had 700-ish items in my inventory.

I hope this was a more in-depth answer to how I got the avvie and hope it helps someone else to get it.

Good luck to all.

nURLo: had you discarded stuff before in search for the avatar?

I'm not sure what you mean... I wan online the first day it came out and I was trying to use the QS from my inventory into the SDB but then they fixed the glitch so I just started to buy junk items...

I hadn't discarded anything in about 5 days (because I was buying junk)

I really do think it has something to do with the number of junk items in your inventory before you start to discard

let me know if there is anything else I can help with :)

I was wondering if you had discarded other junk items in pursuit of the avatar and the answer seems to be no, or not many.

It does seem like having 5k+ items in your inventory and then discarding them 70 at a time will get you the avatar at some point or another.

Last I knew, if you had over a certain number of items in your inventory, you couldn't use quickstock anymore. But if people are putting 5,000+ items in their inventory and then discarding seventy at a time, this can't be true, right?

To add to this thought (in hopes of helping anyone figure out a solution):

I did not get any specific items, only the mass quanity junk items.

I've read a lot of people saying that they discarded a lot of mostly one item. So maybe you just have to pick an item (any item) and discard a certain amount of that item like 100, 500 whatever. Maybe this explains why some people are getting it with fewer discards and others with more discards - because some people are only discarding that one item and others are discarding that one item plus other items. But once they hit the magic number they get the avvie.

Last I knew, if you had over a certain number of items in your inventory, you couldn't use quickstock anymore. But if people are putting 5,000+ items in their inventory and then discarding seventy at a time, this can't be true, right?

After 70 items, you can ONLY discard 70 at a time, no matter how many you select.

I was wondering if you had discarded other junk items in pursuit of the avatar and the answer seems to be no, or not many.

It does seem like having 5k+ items in your inventory and then discarding them 70 at a time will get you the avatar at some point or another.

I get it now. The answer is yes, I had rotten shoes, soggy old boxes and rusty old cans.

Pretty much anything that the underwater fishing gives away.

Now that I think about it, I didn't even get to discard my rusty old cans (which was the bulk of it) before I got the avatar.

I've heard that some people got it by discarding one at a time, so I'm wondering if it's the NUMBER of discards. I also want to test the theory that it may have to do with how many months old your account is, and you have to discard the same item.

So far, I've discarded nothing since the avatar came out, so I have a completely clean slate and can count exactly how many times I discard.

What I'm doing to test:

I'm buying 6,000--yes, 6,000!--giant green kelp.

I will then put ALL of them in my inventory.

I will discard one at a time until I have discarded 500 of them, or until I get the avatar.

THEN I'll discard seventy at a time if I haven't gotten the avatar yet.

I'll tell you the results...in a few weeks or so *sweats*

Now that I think about it, I didn't even get to discard my rusty old cans (which was the bulk of it) before I got the avatar.

Well, there goes my theory. Ha!

Karina, good luck with your test. I just put 3 giant green kelp in my trades. It's not much but it's all I had. Just give me another junk item if you want them. :)

Karina, good luck with your test. I just put 3 giant green kelp in my trades. It's not much but it's all I had. Just give me another junk item if you want them. :)

Thanks for the offer, but I gave up prematurely. I got 1575, discarded exactly 300 one at a time, then discarded the rest 70 at a time, and nothing. I'm giving up for a while.

I wouldn't call that giving up prematurely. I would call that 'One way Not to get the Rubbish Avatar'

Maybe the trick is you can't only rely on one item? Like you must discard at LEAST x number of items AND they must have at least X number of different items in that amount?

EDIT:

What if you have to discard so many POUNDS of junk?

Imma go check weight of some junk... Will report back.

EDIT:I pulled some junk out of my SDB to check weights. A lot of the cheap junky items are 1-2 pounds. Which would explain the actual quantity descrepency. 4000 2lb items weigh the same as 8000 1lb items. Which may be why some people have to discard thousands of items and some, a lot fewer... hm.

Pirate Compass Table, from the Krawk Island event, is cheap, only about 30 neopoints and weighs 50 lbs!

Also, if you talk to the janitor after completing the Altador Plot he says...

"The janitor sighs as he takes a break from sweeping up rubble. "This is going to take forever! Who knew enormous stone statues were so heavy?""

EDIT:

Okay, so I bought 100 pirate compass tables, put 50 in my SDB. Discarded 6 (2 at a time), realized I only had 49 in my inventory because of a RE, put that in my shop via inventory popup screen (not quick stock) bought 1 more, discarded 44 more (2 at a time), nothing. Pulled the 50 out of my SDB, discarded them 2 at a time, nothing, and then a water mote to see if it was more than 5k lbs, and still nothing.

A few factors:

1. I was discarding 2 at a time to see if I could narrow it down to a 100 lb range if it was by poundage

2. I started before midnight and finished after, it could be so much in one day.

3. Half were bought directly from shops and discarded, half were brought out of my safety deposit box

4. I had that little hiccup with the random event item.

If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, Pirate Compass Tables and Traditional Bone Thrones (10 lbs) are heavy and cheapish.

Pirate Compass Table, from the Krawk Island event, is cheap, only about 30 neopoints and weighs 50 lbs!

Also, if you talk to the janitor after completing the Altador Plot he says...

"The janitor sighs as he takes a break from sweeping up rubble. "This is going to take forever! Who knew enormous stone statues were so heavy?""

EDIT:

Okay, so I bought 100 pirate compass tables, put 50 in my SDB. Discarded 6 (2 at a time), realized I only had 49 in my inventory because of a RE, put that in my shop via inventory popup screen (not quick stock) bought 1 more, discarded 44 more (2 at a time), nothing. Pulled the 50 out of my SDB, discarded them 2 at a time, nothing, and then a water mote to see if it was more than 5k lbs, and still nothing.

A few factors:

1. I was discarding 2 at a time to see if I could narrow it down to a 100 lb range if it was by poundage

2. I started before midnight and finished after, it could be so much in one day.

3. Half were bought directly from shops and discarded, half were brought out of my safety deposit box

4. I had that little hiccup with the random event item.

If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, Pirate Compass Tables and Traditional Bone Thrones (10 lbs) are heavy and cheapish.

So, if your theory about weight is right, then the avatar must be after discarding over 5000 lbs. of junk. That's a lot of junk. I wonder if anyone who has the avatar can shed any light on how much they had discarded.

It's a really interesting theory! I'm intrigued. I bought a few Traditional Bone Thrones just in case.