Nay on Subeta

Lady Lyuba

I've found reasons to hate Subeta, being loyal to Neopets isn't good enough - there is this stupid plot going on where I have to fight just to advance in the plot. Sure, the dummies were made simple enough for untrained pets to fight, but guess what!? Even with the right weapons, and training my pet, it still didn't work! Now I have better weapons and a stronger pet, so I try again, and things work just fine, but NOW Subeta is too slow and the pages won't load so I can't win the battle! *screams* Subeta has been slow as a Slugawoo lately, and the pages won't load... and *screams again*

Being a Neopian, I have every right to hate Subeta, but now, I hate it even more. Fighting should just be an option, I hate fighting, I hate the Battledome on Neopets, and I hate the Battle Coliseum on Subeta. I was never good at fighting, and at least TNT knows not every player likes fighting opponents so with their plots they make fighting oprional, unlike Subeta.

Ignorant question here XD As someone who's been around the pet site market for a while, I've heard of Subeta but never really visited the site or anything. So I'm curious, why do you have every right to hate them as a Neopian? Please enlighten me to this bit of drama XD

IDk, I guess Neopeians and Subetans are just rivals. Very few can balance both. I play both, but I'm far more loyal to Neopets. :) Also, I'm more active on Neo and less active on Subeta unless one of those holidays or other events is going on.

Ignorant question here XD As someone who's been around the pet site market for a while, I've heard of Subeta but never really visited the site or anything. So I'm curious, why do you have every right to hate them as a Neopian? Please enlighten me to this bit of drama XD

I just checked it out because I'd never heard of it, and it looks kind of like a rip-off of neopets, but with less stuff. Don't get me wrong, I don't know which has been around longer of if they have any affiliation or anything of the sort, and I kind of like some of the pet artwork there. I think I'll stick with neopets, anyway. ^_^

I just checked it out because I'd never heard of it, and it looks kind of like a rip-off of neopets, but with less stuff. Don't get me wrong, I don't know which has been around longer of if they have any affiliation or anything of the sort, and I kind of like some of the pet artwork there. I think I'll stick with neopets, anyway. ^_^

Subeta has been around for a very, very long time, but yes, it's essentially a copy of Neopets and came after Neopets. However, many people give props to Subeta as it's one of the few copy cats which has survived the ages and has beautiful artwork + devoted fan base. I had played Subeta many years ago, but I know nothing of it. I've tried many different Neopet-like sites, but I've always remained with Neo. There's nicer things about the other sites: different rules, more laid back mostly, more close-knit, ect.

I couldn't balance between the two, I spend a lot of time on Neopets as is, balancing out both would overwhelm me.

I don't know why I even bother with Subeta - the stupid site has been broken all day long! Couldn't get on to even do my dailies or anything! It STILL doesn't work, the stupid site will not load, and I got into this mess a few months ago all from a friend. I never should have joined Subeta. I only did it because of a friend who was really into it, and now I regret it.

I tried Subeta for the first time a few months ago. I thought it was pretty, but not something I would spend a lot of time on... and I was right. I didn't really get a chance to really explore the site, though, so there's a good chance it's better than my first impression. Even so, I spend a LOT of time on Neopets, and have a lot of goals I want to accomplish. I don't really think I would be able to balance the two.

I have absolutely no comment about the whole Subeta thing. I believe I was a member for about a week- I'm pretty loyal to neopets, although I also played powerpets for a bit but I don't remember my password anymore. Anyways I thought it was hilarious when you said 'Subeta is about as slow as a Slugawoo"; I chuckled a bit at that :)

I joined Subeta a while ago. Unfortunately, my first impression wasn't great because they had a mysql issue, so I couldn't log into my account. Once it had been fixed I logged in and thought Subeta could be a fun alternative to Neopets, but I couldn't help comparing the two.

I do like some of the character models as they're well designed and are very cute. I also quite like having an avatar to dress up, but really I'm in it for the pets so it's not a dealbreaker. I didn't like that just to do a simple task like feeding a pet, I had to click several times. It might not even be any longer that completing tasks on Neopets, but it felt longer and the website just felt more sluggish overall.

I'll probably give it a go some other time, maybe if Neopets was down.

I couldn't balance Subeta and Neopets, not at all. D: I love Neopets for it's games and it's always seemed like there is way more to do... I dropped Subeta after a week, at most. xD I'm trying to dig up my old account to see what I used to have, out of curiousity, but man is it being a pain about it. D: No 'forgot username' function, which would have been much easier and helpful. I mean, I'd need both my password and my username sent, but it's not giving me the option for the latter...

Anyways.

Yeah, it's really a gyp to make you do the Battledome for the event. I mean, Neopets has you do games for major events, but they're generally easier and give you a bit of leeway on them. I'm not talking Daily Dare, that's totally different — I mean for plots and stuff, where they have a game or two that you have to play to get the next link for a chapter or something.

I think I may have glanced at the website a while ago when someone from Subeta came on here to promote and there was drama XD. The pets are cute but I don't really see the point of spending time on another pet site when that time could be spent bettering my Neo account - as far as I'm concerned it's the best and there's never going to be any other similar site that compares, but that's just me :P

The battling pet situation sounds like it would irritate the crap out of me D: *hugs*. Hopefully you managed to sort it in the end!

I'm on Subeta, too, but I don't play much. It's by far not as complex as Neo and not as challenging. I like that the rules are more reasonable! But honesty, Neo is my favourite :)

I'm completely with you there. I like the forums, and the human avatars are fun, and that the rules ARE more reasonable, like when it comes to chat, but Subeta feels more like a social networking/avatar site with a virtual pet function, while Neo feels more like a virtual pet site. I honestly feel that Neopets is run better despite the filters and many unresonable rules, I mean it just runs nicer, less broken links or bugs and such. And being a fan of customising pets, I like that option, I like Neopia's worlds, the fact you can have a Neohome, side accounts, and far more goals to achieve. Plus the plots are run better on Neo, too. :)

Also, Maraquan>Hydrus. Ha! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've played this before...can't remember my username. I went through a phase about 8 years ago where I had an account on nearly every virtual pets website out there. I found a "top 100" list and signed up on like 10 of them. I remember there was one that I really liked, but I could never remember what the name of the site was afterwards, it was blue themed...

Any pet-focused website that has more on its homepage about human avatars than pets loses my interest completely. I like that it is definitely more mature-orientated (bloodred, anyone?), but I don't think I could handle doing neopets and subeta.

I looked at some of the art and thought "they are going to make fine UC's one day" xD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, I've read most of the responses to this topic and honestly?

You're all completely wrong about Subeta.

First of all, Subeta is definitely NOT a ripoff of Neopets. Subeta is a site for young adults, while Neopets is for children 13 and younger.

Second of all, unlike Subeta, Neopets has no right to say that Subeta is 'unoriginal' ever since they sold themselves to Nickelodeon and other companies that force Neopets users to pay for items just to have actual fun on the site.

On Subeta, it's much easier for us to make money. Neopets? Not so much.

I've been on Neopets many times; I even have an account on there that's about 10 years old (although I forgot the password to it; I believe an ex-friend of mine hacked into my account and changed the password when we weren't friends any longer).

To be honest, Subeta is A LOT better than Neopets, and a lot more mature. Whenever I go on the Neopets forums, do you know what I see? Horrible roleplays that consist of 'wolf m8ting' and other disgusting garbage like that. On Subeta's forums, there are actually intelligent conversations.

I moved to Subeta, and I realized that it was SO MUCH BETTER than Neopets on so many levels. Intelligent users that actually have something to talk about, pets that, if they were limited edition and if you wanted them, you could save up a couple hundred sP to get an elixir to change your pet's form.

The Neopets economy is severely inflated; you can barely buy anything without ending up with just 1,000 NP left.

Whine all you want, but I know that all of the points I made out are true and not false. This isn't an opinion, this is a collections of facts I have gathered on both sides of the argument.

Oh, by the way, Maraquan pets are too mermaid-themed. And they don't have a set palette. Hydrus pets have a set palette, look fierce and intimidating, and are well-drawn by amazing artists.

One more thing: lag is a COMMON ISSUE when it comes to events on subeta. OP obviously joined during an event, so it's no wonder they are complaining about lag. And believe me, Keith and the rest of the team try their best to fix it. :/

I was a Neopets user for ten years. Ten. Complete waste of my time.

Subeta? I've been there for three months and I'm happy as a clam. Just because it's a virtual pet site, doesn't make it a copy cat. That's completely childish, and a total cop out for what your "real issues" are with the site. I joined during the Pandemic (also, by the way, an event effects the whole site, making it completely interactive, unlike a comic strip on Neopets when a plot is happening), which while there was site problems, I understood that the site is run by a small number of programmers and staff members and will obviously have it's down time. Neopets has hundreds upon hundreds of people from all over the globe there to catch a problem. The staff puts in blood, sweat and tears. Neopets? Pays other people to do it.

Another note, just while I mention problems. There are so many staff members on Neopets.. by why can't any of them get back to me on my concerns? The longest I ever waited for a ticket reply was three days, and the staff member had even taken a second within an hour of my sending to let me know they were handling my ticket.

The community is full of so many wonderful, beautiful people and artists (who can contribute to the site) who are beyond helpful, and are quickly becoming people who really mean something to me. No matter when I sign on, I always have someone to talk to, someone to confide in, and someone to help me with my site goals, or my real life issues. They're family to me.

As far as the art goes, Neopets lost it's flair when they converted the pets for customization. Every pet now looks the same no matter what colour you paint it unless you pay money to cloth it. Complete marketing scam. Every pet on Subeta has it's own flair and personality. Every colour is drawn beautifully. Even the items for the Human Avatars (which is a super bonus) is drawn to perfection. And whatever isn't, they fix.

Subeta lets you be you. You want to be a lime green, gay man who wears little girl's clothing? Go ahead. Be you. You even mention that you're homosexual on Neopets and you're terminated. You think a thirteen year old doesn't know what it all means?

I could keep going, but meh. You guys go ahead and enjoy yourselves on Neopets. I'm happy for you. As for us "copy cat lovers" over on Subeta, we'll keep doing what we do.

There's one thing I just LOVE about subeta is that most pets have different poses with each color! Gives it PERSONALITY! Not just the exact same thing with every color, just different colors and facial expressions possibly.

Because admit it, you know it, on neopets the color Bloodred would just be a bunch of pets with cartoony blood dripping off of them (which would be a wearable...) and a mean look on their faces, exact same as the other colors other than that.

Edit:

kerubi_glacier.png

GLACIER KERUBI IS NOT AMUSED.

Only one thing, I find, a see a lot of Blacklight pets that look EXACTLY like Spectrum pets but black.

anyu_blacklight.png

anyu_spectrum.png

^ literally the EXACT same thing with only a few minor changes.

Alright, Imma reply to youse both at the same time. Okay? Okay.

Alright, I've read most of the responses to this topic and honestly?

You're all completely wrong about Subeta.

I was a Neopets user for ten years. Ten. Complete waste of my time.

Subeta? I've been there for three months and I'm happy as a clam.

Cool, I look forward to reading your arguments.

First of all, Subeta is definitely NOT a ripoff of Neopets. Subeta is a site for young adults, while Neopets is for children 13 and younger.

Just because it's a virtual pet site, doesn't make it a copy cat. That's completely childish, and a total cop out for what your "real issues" are with the site.

*obligatory "ACTUALLY, Neopets was originally designed for college students"*, hence the "original", if you like, Neopets was for young adults. I also agree that Subeta is not a copy-cat site, but I would argue that the two sites probably stemmed from the same general idea. Which is, y'know, normal and nothing to get worked up about.

Second of all, unlike Subeta, Neopets has no right to say that Subeta is 'unoriginal' ever since they sold themselves to Nickelodeon and other companies that force Neopets users to pay for items just to have actual fun on the site.

So... more or less every theme park ever, pay-T.V., the internet, newspapers and everything else you have to pay for to use is unoriginal? Whereas anything that's free is original? I'm sorry, but the originality of a product is not inversely proportional to its cost. Also, despite the heavy NeoCash influence you can achieve things on Neopets without paying a cent. Finally, I do not recall at any point Neopets saying that Subeta is unoriginal, just some players who all have their rights to their own thoughts, feelings, opinions... and throw-away comments.

On Subeta, it's much easier for us to make money. Neopets? Not so much.

The Neopets economy is severely inflated; you can barely buy anything without ending up with just 1,000 NP left.

...pets that, if they were limited edition and if you wanted them, you could save up a couple hundred sP to get an elixir to change your pet's form.

These pretty much address the same thing, so yeah. I'm not sure what your experience of money making on Neopets is, but if you play games on Neopets, you are not going to get much of anywhere. I've come to the conclusion this is how its supposed to be, so that not just anyone can waltz in, spot the easy money source and achieve everything within a week. The game is to earn it.

I, as a returning player after several years, had several hundred thousand neopoints within a week of starting because I knew that games are comparatively useless and if you want to get anywhere fast, you get all the freebies and figure out which legal income you're best at. I resell, play the stock market and played habitarium because they are all waiting games and I don't have the patience to sit and do active things such as restock, snipe etc. I've now been on for nine months and have probably made a couple of million. But you know what? I'm silly and bought stuff as soon as I had the money. It's like real life like that. You earn the money, then you choose whether you're going to blow it straight away or hang onto a bit. It's hardly TNT's fault if you decide to spend as soon as you get.

On economy - it's a thing that happens when you have almost 200 million players who all want the same thing. Supply vs demand and all that. I don't know what the shop structure on Subeta is, but the way you talk about it makes it sound like the shops are designed to never run out of stock - if all the stores are like that, there is no economy. Neopets' shop structure, being limited supply, fosters an economy. TNT have been working to deflate some of the more expensive items, but if their eventual goal is to get things down to "a couple hundred [n]P to get [a morphing potion] to change your pet's form", it'll be a gradual process to avoid people with several billion neopoints buying up everything. I don't think TNT should stop the economy altogether, but I do agree it is still slightly out of hand.

I've been on Neopets many times; ...[mostly irrelevant [sorry :| ]] friends any longer).

To be honest, Subeta is A LOT better than Neopets, and a lot more mature. Whenever I go on the Neopets forums, do you know what I see? Horrible roleplays that consist of 'wolf m8ting' and other disgusting garbage like that. On Subeta's forums, there are actually intelligent conversations.

I moved to Subeta, and I realized that it was SO MUCH BETTER than Neopets on so many levels. Intelligent users that actually have something to talk about...

The community is full of so many wonderful, beautiful people and artists (who can contribute to the site) who are beyond helpful, and are quickly becoming people who really mean something to me. No matter when I sign on, I always have someone to talk to, someone to confide in, and someone to help me with my site goals, or my real life issues. They're family to me.

Subeta lets you be you. You want to be a lime green, gay man who wears little girl's clothing? Go ahead. Be you. You even mention that you're homosexual on Neopets and you're terminated. You think a thirteen year old doesn't know what it all means?

You will not see "wolfm8ting" on Neopets forums nowadays. TNT have done a lot to stamp that out. In regards to intelligent conversations, again, Neopets is a site of nearly two hundred million. Not all of them are going to have the intellect or inclination to carry an intelligent conversation. Yet, yes, I have found people to have deep discussions with. Admittedly (due to moderators being VERY good at making sure people are mostly on topic in the respective boards and the fact that I am hardly outgoing) the majority of those people have been here.

TDNF is my Neopets family. They help with real life issues and site goals, and are there to chat to and confide in. There are artists and writers here (who contribute to the site), and I am aware of another writing-based website for Neopets players (who certainly contribute to the site).

While you can not be a "lime green, gay man who wears little girl's clothing", you can have a pale green, gay pet who wears clothing designed for females. Just gotta be a bit more careful with your wording. Anytime anything like this is pulled up, two things spring to mind:

1. COPPA - when TNT decided to open the site to under 13's, they had to adopt this set of regulations. I would not be surprised if there were something about homosexuality in there.

2. People being people - can you honestly tell me there is not one person on Subeta who is a homophobe? Remembering that Subeta has about 80 000 members - let's say 1 000 are homophobes - then proportionally, Neopets should have 2.5 million homophobes, none of whom are TNT's fault. Can you see the sheer amount of flame wars that would break out, simply because of a strong difference in opinion? I can appreciate TNT not wanting to deal with that.

Oh, by the way, Maraquan pets are too mermaid-themed. And they don't have a set palette. Hydrus pets have a set palette, look fierce and intimidating, and are well-drawn by amazing artists.

4.png4.png4.pngWhile they may not look "fierce and intimidating"(which is hardly the point), nor do they have set palettes (while many other colours do, maractite being a good example of a set palette being played with), they certainly don't all appear "mermaid-themed" and the work of the artists continues to surprise and delight me.

As far as the art goes, Neopets lost it's flair when they converted the pets for customization. Every pet now looks the same no matter what colour you paint it unless you pay money to cloth it. Complete marketing scam. Every pet on Subeta has it's own flair and personality. Every colour is drawn beautifully. Even the items for the Human Avatars (which is a super bonus) is drawn to perfection. And whatever isn't, they fix.

Yep, it's the trade off you get for being able to customise pets. Imagine, if you will, having to draw something as basic as a hat for so many different poses. It would take far too long to be efficient. As previously mentioned, there are plenty of clothing options without paying any real money. I'm not sure what you mean by a "super bonus", but regardless, TNT does make every effort to draw beautiful objects - we have a thread for them here. And yes, TNT does fix items with mistakes. 'Cause, that's logical. They have, in fact, more of an incentive to fix broken or sub standard items because they are a business.

One more thing: lag is a COMMON ISSUE when it comes to events on subeta. OP obviously joined during an event, so it's no wonder they are complaining about lag. And believe me, Keith and the rest of the team try their best to fix it. :/

I joined during the Pandemic (also, by the way, an event effects the whole site, making it completely interactive, unlike a comic strip on Neopets when a plot is happening), which while there was site problems, I understood that the site is run by a small number of programmers and staff members and will obviously have it's down time. Neopets has hundreds upon hundreds of people from all over the globe there to catch a problem. The staff puts in blood, sweat and tears. Neopets? Pays other people to do it.

How would a new player, without any prior knowledge know lag is a common problem? Honestly, not everyone is going to be willing to put up with it, which is just personal preference.

The choice of plot style will be different for each plot - if you look at some of Neopets' older plots, they did span the whole website, as do some of the newer plots. I'm not sure how "completely interactive" you're talking, so I can't draw a proper comparison.

As an aside, they way you talk about Subeta reminds me of the first years of Neopets, with Donna and Adam heading a small team. But on a more serious note, as far as I can tell, Neopets still employs people strictly in their country and do not have enough staff to even update a major site event over the weekend. You seem to be implying they are a massive powerhouse. This is simply not the case.

Another note, just while I mention problems. There are so many staff members on Neopets.. by why can't any of them get back to me on my concerns? The longest I ever waited for a ticket reply was three days, and the staff member had even taken a second within an hour of my sending to let me know they were handling my ticket.

Just to make sure I address everything, I will repeat - not a massive powerhouse, almost 200 million players. There are also many cases of success, some of which are recorded on these forums. The best one is the "I love Tony" thread.

Whine all you want, but I know that all of the points I made out are true and not false. This isn't an opinion, this is a collections of facts I have gathered on both sides of the argument.

I could keep going, but meh. You guys go ahead and enjoy yourselves on Neopets. I'm happy for you. As for us "copy cat lovers" over on Subeta, we'll keep doing what we do.

I'm glad I have had the opportunity to reply to these posts. It was excellent procrastination. I wish you both the best on all your various online endeavors.

EDIT: Apologises to mods for the double post, but the forum didn't like such a long post :3

I've been on and off Subeta for probably four years, and even longer than Neopets. I don't want to get into a huge debate over something as silly as my virtual pet site preference but I would like to point out that not everyone in the Subeta community are happy and beautiful people. I've met far more snarky, elitist and rude players on there, and Keith (the site owner) seems to have a select handful of favourites.

To be totally honest, I just see the Subeta community as a great big highschool; you don't associate with the loser-kids (the RPers, people with ugly huamn avatars etc.) and you want to be friends with all the cool kids (like those in CHIC). I've made better friends off of Neopets in a week than I have for years on Subeta.

Also, as someone who enjoys a bit of a challenge, Subeta is just not difficult. You can easily make a mill a day on Subeta, and as mentioned earlier, it is really easy to get the pets and achievements 'of your dreams'. On my account there now, I have 60 mil (made after blowing like 100 mil) and all the pets I want, and then I find myself asking "What next?" a lot.