Ads on Neopets

AKALeenaLean

I know Neopets need money. Don't flame me about that.

Have you seen some of their ads though? I think I've seen 2-3 ads with a curse word in it. I mean is it because of my age on Neopets? I'm not sure but I think they're ads have gotten out of hand a bit. It's a children site but there are ads with curse words?

I think Neopet's ads should come in a different way, like the AdverVideo game where it's always Spongebob, or right before games. Am I overreacting? What do you think about ads on Neopets?

I don't see ads either, as I have ad block. But TNT has stated that you can report ads that are inappropriate (or annoying ones that pop up, or block things)

Here's the Editorial question about inappropriate ads: (Last question, at the bottom)

The subject about inappropriate ads has been commented on many times. I know that you don't hand pick each individual ad you place on the site, but for those that can't grasp that idea, I ask of you to please shed some insight on the ad picking process to people who don't understand how inappropriate or questionable ads get by. ~kj_182

Thanks for understanding! You are quite correct that we aren't able to see the ads before they go up. We use third party ad services, and they control the ads based on criteria we give them. Sometimes, ads meant for other networks slip in. There are also ads that seem fine but have one detail crop up that's not appropriate. Oftentimes, new ads are put in to the system on Friday evening when there is a much lesser chance staff will spot any bad ads before the weekend. We get just as mad as you players when we find inappropriate ads have been on the site. (Trust us, we love this site just as much as you guys do!) So please, please, please if you see a bad ad, report it immediately! We don't want that kind of stuff on our site! >:[

I've never paid much attention to ads, but I'd assume they may be able to target your age, location, and other demographics - I'm not sure how well it would work on Neopets, but I know ads on Facebook and other forums do that (certain ads also seem to appear on these sites based on certain keywords on the pages). I usually just get ads for a game/location/event on the neopets site itself, but sometimes I get ones for "singles", some sort of "shopping", or Nestle baby food. Those seem pretty specific to my demographic, so... :P

I'd still report any inappropriate ones, though - they could still be getting through to younger members.

I just realized I've been getting adds for match.com dating site. As far as swearing goes I haven't noticed anything in the adds, though I don't give them my full attention.

I have premium so I don't see the ads. My boyfriend doesn't though and I've seen some advertisements for online dating as well as cosmetic surgery with women pictured in underwear. This could be because he's 25, I wouldn't know about ads on younger players accounts. One would hope it would be different!

I haven't seen any curse words as of yet but I'll ask him to keep an eye out. I'd be interested to see what you're referring to.

About the swear words, this isn't directly about the ads, but there's at least one instance of '' in NeoQuest II that I know of. Maybe they just expected older players to play it, but in any case, TNT might be a bit lax about swearing in ads.

Underwear models, though, are right out.

I have AdBlock on steroids and an AV that blocks most ads for me so I don't ever really see these ads...I can't believe that Neopets would have those sorts of ads, though! Honestly, I think it's a little out of control if we're getting match.com ads on Neo xD I think they need to regulate which ads show up on their site, and I'm glad you can report them.

I get some adult-based ones, none with swearing, but ones with like, say, diets, and in some circumstances, dating website. *shrugs* It does look littered, and I do find it a tad bit hypocritical that TNT is so strict about anything we say yet fail to protect children from these sort of ads.

They definitely are geared/tracked towards your area. For instance, when I went on vacation to Florida, all of my ads changed from Canadian-based to American based ones, like I'm used to seeing "Shoppers Drug Marts" advertisements and "Tim Hortons" ones here, but in Florida, I had WalGreens and Walmart.

I don't mind ads, they're everywhere, so I guess I just sort of tune them out. I could get an ad blocker but I'm lazy and they don't bother me that horridly.

I don't really see ads because I have Premium, and I find it kind of shocking to hear this! It's hypocritical of TNT to lecture us about appropriate behavior on the site, yet have ads like this on the site. I do understand that they can't always check every ad, but still! :sad01_anim:

Thanks for all the support. I never knew premium was such a popular choice too.

I agree with some of the models for the ads, first time I saw it I was shocked, but then I got desensitized and stopped caring. I never played on a child-aged account but I agree with you all, let the ads be geared towards age because some of them are inappropriate.

I think the best thing would be to get an adblock. I personally use catblock which turns all ads into cute pictures of kitty cats.

Was originally brought out for april fools joke but I rolled with it. :D

I've seen a lot of inappropriate ads on neopets - I use adblock on firefox which is what I always use, but when sometimes I have used IE I've seen sooo many bad adverts.. and when I go on at uni and stuff.. Lots of ads with underwear clad women and stuff, which sort of raises an eyebrow.. I mean, a lot of children lie about their age on neopets (I know I did when I was under 13) and I don't think TNT aren't smart enough to realise that...

I use Adblock Plus, but the handful of times that it has been off, I've mainly been DUI ads for the city I'm in... On my sides, I use different browsers that don't have ABP and the side ads are always weight loss or cosmetic surgery, but the top ad is always different.

The DUI one does not phase me that much as it's (in a way) reminding people to be safe while inebriated, but the others are a bit uncalled for on a children's website.

To be honest I've never noticed adds on neo, but I also have adblocker. *goes to check* Yupp- there are absolutely no ads for me. The sides are just grey. I would assume however that they could somehow target your demographic :3

I too use an adblocker, so I haven't seen an ad on Neopets in years. :) I understand that they can't check all ads, but yes... it does seem to be hipocritical considering just how strick they are with the users!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually switched to chrome with adblocker for neopets after I saw a very graphic advertisement, I think it was for WSPA or PETA or something like that, showing bear baiting. Not cool!! I reported it to TNT but nothing was done and it came up a couple more times :( It can't be that hard to keep the ads rated E, can it?

I actually switched to chrome with adblocker for neopets after I saw a very graphic advertisement, I think it was for WSPA or PETA or something like that, showing bear baiting. Not cool!! I reported it to TNT but nothing was done and it came up a couple more times :( It can't be that hard to keep the ads rated E, can it?

Technically, I don't think it's really up to TNT as to what gets shown. The ad company probably takes keywords from your searches, mixed with your age, and determines what ads appear for you.

I've definitely seen models in underwear on ads which I can remember getting miffed about at the time. On most of the computers I use I have adblocker though so don't actually see them at all.

I love the ads only because sometimes something super adult comes up while I'm playing like, Kass Basher and just seeing a sultry model gaze at me while I'm smacking around a purple bird plushie on a children's petsite makes me laugh so hard.