Old pets vs New pets

shelbyleigh

At the moment, all I can seem to think about is how old pets (or 'unconverted' pets) look so much better than the new. I've obviously been hiding under a rock or something, but I remember how I used to absolutely adore the Lutari, however I just looked at The Rainbow Pool and I couldn't help but think they've been almost destroyed. Par examplé -

lutari_red_baby.gif ... has become... 4.png

It's probably just me being old fashioned, but I really think pets are slowly becoming to look worse. If you want to see how they all used to look, then you can go here: http://www.neopets.com/allpets.phtml but all it made me do is feel all overly nostalgic and such, so look at your own risk! :sad01_anim:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. :( I think the grey and the royal pets were expecially hard hit. -sigh- There is nothing to be done though!

I know. :( I think the grey and the royal pets were expecially hard hit. -sigh- There is nothing to be done though!

You are completely right, I was thinking exactly the same about the grey pets before... There's not :( I just hope they don't update the website I posted, that will well and truly abolish the memory!

I miss the old drawings of the pets, but I also like being able to customize the pets with clothes and such...so it's sort of a bittersweet change from the old pets to the new.

I can imagine a lot of people feel the same as you do... I'm yet to become a huge fan of customization though. D;

Tyranian Krawk change is such a shame

Exactly :c and when a pet costs that sort of amount... It really disheartens me haha.

I can imagine a lot of people feel the same as you do... I'm yet to become a huge fan of customization though. D;

I only like the customization because now we're able to make it so that our pets at least look somewhat different from everyone else's who has the same color and species; makes it easier to remember certain people you always see on the boards and such lol.

I only like the customization because now we're able to make it so that our pets at least look somewhat different from everyone else's who has the same color and species; makes it easier to remember certain people you always see on the boards and such lol.

I've never actually thought of it like that, I suppose it does give your pets a bit more of an identity... Hopefully soon I'll become a little less stubborn and hop on the bandwagon ;3

When I take a look at old Neopets artwork and their current day counterparts, I'd be surprised by all the change that happened when I returned to Neopets.

I used to enjoy the old styles of the Darigan Neopets. They used to look so fierce, brooding, and sinister back when I was still a kid. Darigan Neopets today kind of feel very generic and certain species (while coloured Darigan) have lost their luster appearance-wise.

I'd say the same for the old Tyrannian Neopets. Back when I was a kid, TNT used to have more primitive-looking Tyrannian pets. Remember the old Tyrannian Korbat and how they made him look like a pterodactyl? TNT gave him a more caveman-like style when Neopets 2.0 came around.

I used to remember how elegant the old poses were for Faerie-coloured Neopets back in the old days, too. Several converted Faerie pets (like the Acara, Usul, Uni, etc.) appear like a standard Neopets with the Faerie Wings attached to them.

You guys already covered the Royal pets and Grey pets, too. I really miss a good number of the old pet poses overall, no offence taken.

Yes, the Faerie pets as well! Some of them, like the Shoyru and the Pteri were just GORGEOUS. And I agree about the Tyrannian and Darigan ones - the art was so spectacular.

I was poking around Tyrannia during the Negg hunt, and they haven't updated the art on any of the paint brush pages in each land, and it just about broke my heart, seeing the old amazing art. :(

I do see the benefit of customization. A lot of people have a lot of fun with it, and I like seeing what people come up with. I wish that you could choose between the new poses and the old though. Like, not just old grandfathered pets, but if I went and painted a Krawk Tyrannian right now, I could choose to make it UC, and give up the ability to customize it. -sigh-

What really made me upset was the poor Xweetoks! :(

They looked much more elegant the old way and now...not as much.

Like the main reason I got a Xweetok was because of their look! For example with my Xweetok back then:

xweetok_spotted_baby.gif....became....4.png

I painted her Spotted because it looked really cute until I could afford the Faerie Paint Brush back in the day....but after seeing the "new" faerie look for them, I instantly changed my mind and kept her Spotted. She's still my favorite/awesome pet but I wished they would have asked me to keep her unconverted even if it was Spotted.

What really made me upset was the poor Xweetoks! :(

They looked much more elegant the old way and now...not as much.

Like the main reason I got a Xweetok was because of their look! For example with my Xweetok back then:

xweetok_spotted_baby.gif....became....4.png

I painted her Spotted because it looked really cute until I could afford the Faerie Paint Brush back in the day....but after seeing the "new" faerie look for them, I instantly changed my mind and kept her Spotted. She's still my favorite/awesome pet but I wished they would have asked me to keep her unconverted even if it was Spotted.

Awww, I'm sorry. :( Xweetoks were really hard hit, weren't they? :( Lupes were another bad one - they look like dopey puppies. :/

Oh Royal Girl Lupe ... the ONLY pet I would have broken my Xwee love for, I would have LOVED to have had an original Royalgirl Lupe

They were so lovely! Those and RG Aishas.

I don't doubt that TNT are just trying to modernise the site/keep things fresh and what have you, but it'd be great if they sometimes took into consideration that it would be nice to keep some of the old features that made us all love Neo in the first place. In regards to Faerie pets, I was also thinking the same thing before when I was looking at the Poogle, it's such a shame because, personally, I think Poogles are beautiful and so much more imagination could have gone into the making of Faerie ones. :c

4.png

Most of my favorite pets weren't too badly effected by the change, or I think they were actually improved. In general, I do like the art style of the new pets a little better. I was never a fan of the shadows on the old unpainted pets. I actually kind of like the new Ixis, Ogrins, and Kyriis a little better. My new favorite pet, Christmas Aishas, look better after conversion. The only pet that I really like but don't like the changes is the Zafaras. I miss their little arms.

The only pet that I really liked that I think changed significantly for the worse is Cybunnies. They lost a lot of personality in the change. My dreamie before the conversion was a plushie Cybunny, and they aren't nearly as cute as they used to be.

I adored the old plushies. They were all so squishy and soft and cuddly looking, now they're the same as blue or green, just with different colours and dotted lines. ;N;

I think that if TNT is concerned about making money, and that if people could unconvert they wouldn't make any off of customization (which is dumb, because people pay for backgrounds and trinkets and whatnot, not just clothes!) they should create an item that costs $10 (NC equivalent) and it allowed you to unconvert one pet. I know I would grudgingly fork over $10 to unconvert my pets. ;O;

I adored the old plushies. They were all so squishy and soft and cuddly looking, now they're the same as blue or green, just with different colours and dotted lines. ;N;

I think that if TNT is concerned about making money, and that if people could unconvert they wouldn't make any off of customization (which is dumb, because people pay for backgrounds and trinkets and whatnot, not just clothes!) they should create an item that costs $10 (NC equivalent) and it allowed you to unconvert one pet. I know I would grudgingly fork over $10 to unconvert my pets. ;O;

I would as well! I'm far more willing to pay for that than for clothes. :/

they should create an item that costs $10 (NC equivalent) and it allowed you to unconvert one pet. I know I would grudgingly fork over $10 to unconvert my pets. ;O;

This is genuinely the greatest idea I have ever heard! If only we could make TNT hear our cries :c

I think that the new version of the pets is both better and worse in some cases.

For example, the Baby Eyrie vastly improved in my opinion: eyrie_baby_baby.gif4.png

While some pets took a big hit like the Faerie Pteri pteri_faerie_baby.gif4.png

I wasn't around when pets were still UC, but I wish that I could have been.

they should create an item that costs $10 (NC equivalent) and it allowed you to unconvert one pet. I know I would grudgingly fork over $10 to unconvert my pets. ;O;

THIS ^^

While some pets took a big hit like the Faerie Pteri pteri_faerie_baby.gif4.png

Oh the Faerie Pteri ... they and the Faerie Lennys REALLY took a hit. I LOVE birds in real life and would have loved a Faerie Pteri UC.

And of course...

lupe_royalgirl_baby.gif TO 4.png

;^;

I was looking at that link yesterday and thinking about the Lutari O.o weird. But yes, I couldn't agree more. I often look at http://www.neopets.com/pirates/fashion.phtml and find myself being quite upset that none of the Pirates were saved D:

My favourites:

chomby_pirate_baby.gifkougra_pirate_baby.giflupe_pirate_baby.gifquiggle_pirate_baby.gifwocky_pirate_baby.gif

I cant bring myself to put the newer ones up, it's just too sad :'(

The most regrettable one of all the pets though in my opinion is the Halloween Shoyru, WHY DIDN'T THEY KEEP IT?!?!

shoyru_halloween_baby.gif

Haha, I sent in a suggestion about it, and they said,

"Thank you for writing! We definitely appreciate your feedback and we know this is a popular opinion. However, as we've said many (many) times before, we have absolutely no intention of allowing users to unconvert pets. Unconverted pets are like unsupported browsers. While they may still be used on Neopets, we are not going to actively support them or revert backwards. After over 4 years of the new art, we should think you all would realize that it's here to stay ;)"

so yeah. :C

There are actually pet pages out there devoted to suggestions to allow for more UC pets.. I can't remember them but some have tons of ideas! My favourite is the paying for a special, not tradable, item that would unconvert your pets. Of course, the simple option is nice too, however much much less likely than the paying for it idea.

I'm no so much a fan of royals (i don't like clothes on my pets haha) but in my opinion, the aisha took the biggest hit.. it was so pretty before! now it's frightening. :CC

4.png TO> 4.png

4.pngTO> 4.png

4.pngTO> 4.png

I could go on forever. ;N;

I'm glad there are so many people who wish UCs could be creatable ;u;

We should do a neo-strike.. just for a day or something. with a petition for UCs to come back.

That would be amazing ;u;

edit//

that pirate chomby.

is adorable ;o;

I was looking at that link yesterday and thinking about the Lutari O.o weird. But yes, I couldn't agree more. I often look at http://www.neopets.c...s/fashion.phtml and find myself being quite upset that none of the Pirates were saved D:

My favourites:

chomby_pirate_baby.gifkougra_pirate_baby.giflupe_pirate_baby.gifquiggle_pirate_baby.gifwocky_pirate_baby.gif

I cant bring myself to put the newer ones up, it's just too sad :'(

The most regrettable one of all the pets though in my opinion is the Halloween Shoyru, WHY DIDN'T THEY KEEP IT?!?!

shoyru_halloween_baby.gif

I love the pirate Quiggles tattoo. It makes me laugh every time I see it. :D

Oh wow, I had forgotten how lovely the Halloween Shoyru was. :(

Haha, I sent in a suggestion about it, and they said,

"Thank you for writing! We definitely appreciate your feedback and we know this is a popular opinion. However, as we've said many (many) times before, we have absolutely no intention of allowing users to unconvert pets. Unconverted pets are like unsupported browsers. While they may still be used on Neopets, we are not going to actively support them or revert backwards. After over 4 years of the new art, we should think you all would realize that it's here to stay ;)"

I find the last part of that rather snarky >_O Well, TNT, if it's been FOUR YEARS and people are STILL asking about it, why can't you take the hint? Is it because you live on customisable items and having UC pets will cripple purchases of clothing, etc. (except backgrounds and garlands)?

Unconverted pets are like unsupported browsers. While they may still be used on Neopets, we are not going to actively support them or revert backwards. After over 4 years of the new art, we should think you all would realize that it's here to stay

You know what the difference is between unsupported browsers and UC Neopets? UC Neopets never had to be obsolete! The art work wasn't really dated. If anything, the conversion process caused great art work to become less detailed, hence, in some degree, LESS.

Essentially, UC pets are considered "old" and "outdated" for the simple reason of not being customizable, which TNT considered (after years of such an inability) to be far more important. Like the requests for UC pets now, I bet requests for customized Neopets was also a popular thought. And there was the added bonus of creating profit. Not only this, but artists would all have to follow a similar formula; updating art work would become more swifter. New Neopet colours could be added after.

Now, I don't disagree with their decision. Customization CAN be enjoyable, and it definitely allows you to let your pet's personality shine!

However, because of the customization, some of the Neopet's models fell flat. Just like mentioned, the adorable

Tyrannian Korbat.

korbat_tyrannian_baby.gif = 2.png

The problem? TNT wants it to stop. They want the complaints to halt. Their desire is to ultimately forget about these pets. And with newer places, not having the older ones doesn't seem like a big deal. Like they said, it's been 4 years of them hearing from us.

The only think I'm still a bit bitter about was how they never actually warned us of the change. Had I known, I would've went and made myself a Plushie Cybunny (my dreamie which will never happen).

cybunny_plushie_baby.gif = 2.png

UH, no thank you!

I understand their perspective. They want to head away from the older pets. There are still new dreamies available, and Mutant pets are certainly sure made unique now! (I think the artists resorted to Mutants for their passions as they can't be as creative as formerly.)

Despite the change with the Faerie Pteri, I still think the new one isn't so bad. In fact, I'm thinking of making my Pteri into one. And I like the Plushie Zafara now, regardless of how uncool it looks.

But you know who got it bad? Those poor users who never got the option to have their pet remained UC.

Take a look at the old Faerie Acara: acara_faerie_baby.gif

Now this is what it became, and NO owner of the old Faerie Acara got to have it UC, as TNT didn't consider it different enough:

2.png<- Could you imagine, how intensly terrible that was for everyone who had previously painted their Acaras? No choice. And I consider that Acara VERY different. -__- I have no idea how TNT didn't see it...

I'm surprised that people are still discussing this to this day! But happy, too. It somehow makes me feel better people still remember.

I guess it's just too much of an disoraganized thing for them to attempt, bringing some UCS back...

The only think I'm still a bit bitter about was how they never actually warned us of the change. Had I known, I would've went and made myself a Plushie Cybunny (my dreamie which will never happen).

I wasn't around when the conversion happened, but as far as I know there was a week in which users had a chance to see what their Neopets would look like if they were customisable. Unfortunately though I don't think they specified which Neopets would be automatically converted and which ones wouldn't :(