Green Uni Project

Naamah D.

I've heard the name before and have recently looked into it. What do you guys think?

The Green Uni Project is a movement that wants to morph all painted and limited edition pets in the pound into Green Unis.

I'm on the fence. I agree that people should work hard for their appearance perfect pet(unless you get a FFQ), but the pets in the pound would find homes a lot faster if they are LE or painted. Unless you love Green Unis.

I think name is more of a factor than colour when adopting pounded pets. It drives me crazy to go to the pount to adopt and see 4 or 5 pets named the same thing with different numbers at the end (or even worse, "avatar_pet") because you know the same person created and abandoned all of them right away.

But why on earth would you want to paint colours that do survive when pounded and morph LEs to unis? I love unis, but that just seems stupid.

I don't know, I mean, I think it's kind of a petty issue really.. I got 2 of my LEP's from the pound, the Jetsam and the Cybunny, my Chomby was originally a Desert Kiko and was given to me by my Mom when she closed out her old account.. My computer before was old and slow and I just really stunk at most of the games so it was hard for me to save up.. Now my right arrow key doesn't work on my old and slow laptop :laughingsmiley: Not everyone has the time to sit around all the time playing, heck, contrary to popular belief, not everyone has internet either. I think that having LEP's in the pound gives those that don't have as much time or opportunity as others a chance at having one, so I guess I would be against the GUP...

I think name is more of a factor than colour when adopting pounded pets. It drives me crazy to go to the pount to adopt and see 4 or 5 pets named the same thing with different numbers at the end (or even worse, "avatar_pet") because you know the same person created and abandoned all of them right away.

Ugh, I SO agree!! I really hate the names of my 2 pound pets, I wish they would give you the option to change it if you adopt.. I've done it to real pets and they adjust to it just fine :laughingsmiley:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The Green Uni Project (aka GUP) has actually been going on for over a year, and it isn't as big as it used to be it seems. I remember seeing it everywhere on the Pounding board, but now I hardly ever see it around...surprised it's still going on, but I know there's not as many "followers" as there used to be.

It was once very strong and real issue for many people. I seem to remember it being much more popular pre-conversion and pre-transfer. Most of the links I can find on it are dead now - at the height of its popularity, people were even writing in to TNT about stopping it somehow, so it's become quite embarrassing to be associated with the GUP. I can't see it becoming popular again.

As already mentioned, it's not so much colour as name that wins a pet points in the pound now, whereas when the GUP was mostly happening, colour and species were more important. Which really is a shame, but people have their own standards. There are certain colours that most people wouldn't care about the name to grab (MSPP, pea chia etc) but I digress. I can't really see any major problem in letting people adopt nicely painted/LE pets from the pound. The quickness you'd have to be to grab them is quite enough work, in my short experience.

Oh wow, I heard of the Green Uni Project, but that was something totally different from this... Maybe this grew from it...? Anyway, the GUP I heard of was something like this; You adopted a really really bad named pet from the pound and GUPped it, and then you were supposed to bond with it and get attached to it, creating a whole backstory and personality for it. The idea behind this was that a name is only a small part of the pet and even a BN pet can be valuable to you, if you just set your mind to it.

I agree with other people- it is terribly petty. :/ I have never recieved a fantastic pet through the pound, but I know lots of people have, and I'm happy for them. I have lost a couple of nice pets in the pound, back before there were transfers, and I would hate to think that they had been GUP'd- I'd rather have someone enjoy them for what they are.

One of the biggest complaints when GUP was a thing was that the people participating would snag pets they were being sent to someone else and GUP them. Which means, that Hissi you were gifting your BFF? Now a Uni. The Draik you were getting to your side? Uni! This was a FAR larger issue with most people than a couple of nutcases snagging things that were chucked into the pound for anyone.

Since transfers were introduced, people don't use the old unsafe means of transfer and therefore there are FAR less painted and LE pets wandering through the pound, and as such intrest on both sides of the project waned. And since it's now near impossible to get a good species or color from pound surfing, people look for good names instead and zap/morph them. Which renders GUP a moot point since if you're zapping a WN pet, it really makes no difference what it was when you adopted it.

GUP (as we know it) is, at it's core, a ridiculous and mean spirited idea, likely thought up by someone jealous of other people's pets. And, in the end, they did get away with it- TNT had to stand by their assertion that any pet in the pound is fair game for anyone to adopt, and once adopted it is the new owner's right to do whatever they please with said pet. Though I do recall TNT noting that, while they couldn't disallow it, they did discourage it as it is a very mean thing to do.

Though the Uni is one of my favourite species, this is a horrible thing to do! I've never heard of it until now, and I'm glad it isn't as prevalent anymore. I like the idea of Hush Guppies, as mentioned in the petpet page that was linked. One of my personal goals is to start zapping regular pets from the pound until they turn into something a little more desirable before putting them back in - the only reason I haven't yet is because I offer them for adoption here first and the zaps have been on the slow side.

I remember when I was new to Neopets and couldn't afford any kind of paint brush - the pound is an ideal opportunity to give unlucky or poor players the chance to get a dream pet that they might never be able to get otherwise... in fact, someone from this very forum was able to get hold of one of my dreamies from the pound for me so sometimes it can happen like that. For others to come along and take away the chance to make someone really happy is selfish, arrogant, and ridiculous. In my opinion.

I personally don't like it. I remember when I was a new player one of the most exciting things for me was finding painted pets in the pound. I was terrible at the games back then, so I made money very slowly and it would have taken me forever to save for a paintbrush.

There are also lots of people who zap pets into nice colors and put them in the pound for others to adopt, so it'd be a shame to undo their hard work and generosity.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen the point of it. What does it matter to you if someone saves up to paint their aisha faerie, or if they find one in the pound? Trying to police the way people play on virtual petsite is immature/pretty creepy.

It's mean, but I'm not going to throw a fit over people doing it, either. And anyway, I've always thought it's been dead for awhile now.

No matter how much you love it, Neopets is a game... I don't get why people would take such offense to someone getting something nice with ease because someone else tossed it out. It's not about "earning" your way, it's about enjoying the experience and things such as the Neopian economy, rarity, etc, are simply there to provide goals, structure, and motivation for a more fulfilling and addictive virtual world.

Do they get mad about garage sales, dumpster diving, etc, in the real world? :mellow:

I can understand why someone might do this, because it would be a fast and easy way to get a rare pet and coloration, but I know of someone who takes up pets from the pound and zaps them to be an appealing color and species before putting them back. They do it to give the pet a chance of being adopted. This GUP thing does not seem to have a way of telling if people are putting these special pets up for good reasons or if it was a toss away pet.

Sure you could say that a BN pet was a toss away, but what if someone had come along like my friend and gave them a nice appearance?

I personally hate it.

Someone on JNF found a pet that was a Purple Gnorbu whose name was Derlyn__Fonnet. She told me about her existence, as she knew how much I loved Derlyn.

I know that this is dead, but what if someone had GUPed Derlyn? Said person had kept her for a bit, but abandoned her not too long afterwards. It was probably around the time the GUP stuff was happening, but still.

I tend to poundsurf. I haven't done it in months, but it's something fun. My dad loved doing it when he was on Neopets. I was against it for his sake.