Altador Cup Changes Format; Removes Finals Bracket

hrtbrk

Today's news featured some new Altador Cup updates, which revealed that there would be some changes in the upcoming tournament in regards to its format. Noticeably, TNT has removed the Finals bracket.

news-image-ac-vii-pre-event-2012-blurb.jpg

Instead, there will be four rounds, with each round lasting six days long. Each round will consist of three brackets with six teams in each, having each team only play teams in their bracket.

Each bracket is randomly generated. There will still be 24 days of game play.

More details are expected to be released closer to the Altador Cup start date.

Cut it out, TNT, CUT IT OUT! I want the old Altador Cup back, the one like we had two years ago! Just STOP! The Yooyuball update was bad enough last year. I'll still join Maraqua, but don't count on me participating. > : (

facepalm.jpg

Even though we don't know everything, I actually kind of prefer this. DRR was boring, and you could tell people lost interest halfway through the tournament. Plus, finals made the entire AC completely pointless anyway, since it rewards only four days of playing.

I'm guessing a lot of people complained about the AC being too long in the feedback thing so TNT decided to shorten it. I've seen a lot of people complain about the boards about how tedious the AC is. Yet people are still complaining. :thumbsdown: I don't get people on Neopets.

Seriously, we don't even know everything about this new system. Calm down and wait until we know more before judging it.

*waves* Hi Alberto! It's good to see a fellow Meridellian here :)

I am going to miss the finals. I really enjoyed the tension and excitement that they created. Nonetheless, I am going to try to stay positive and not knock this new system until I've tried it! I have faith that we will, in the end, still get to play every team twice. There was some talk on the neoboards of this resembling a Danish form of the Swiss-system tournament. Check it out on Wikipedia. It doesn't seem so bad!

when they said on Altador team's profile that the format will be different "to their advantage" .. my immediate thought was this :

2 brackets .. top 9 teams will play each other and the bottom 9 teams will play each other (classification based on team results in the previous 2 Cups) .. then there will be play-offs between the first 4 of each bracket : 1st from bracket 1 vs 4th from bracket 2 ... 2nd from bracket 1 vs 3rd from bracket 2 .. 3rd from bracket 1 vs 2nd from bracket 2 .. and 4th from bracket 1 vs 1st from bracket 2 ... then semi-finals between the winning 4 teams ... then finals ... i don't know why I thought of it ... it seems unfair to classify teams according to previous results .. but FIFA (the world football(soccer) federation) does that all the time ...

TNT format doesn't seem too bad though ...

I'm going to have to see it in practice before I judge anything. A couple problems were pointed out to me by Livvy and Xepha. 6 teams/bracket for 6 days. You will be on one of the teams so you have 5 opponents. If you play within the bracket for 6 days, you're going to be playing one of the teams twice. Additionally, if bracket assignments (when they shuffle) are completely random, you could end up playing some teams multiple times. I fail to see how this would help traditionally weaker teams. They could end up being paired up with harder teams more often than they would have been in the DRR system. Theoretically, even though the odds are small, you could face the same team up to 8 times (if you get assigned to the same brakets all 4 times, and they happen to be the team you always play twice). Though, I'd hope TNT would incorporate a safeguard so this wouldn't happen.

I am interested to see how the scoring will work out for the team standings. Point-style (wins count as 2 points, ties 1 point, losses 0 points)? Based solely on wins?

I went to read on that Swiss System Tournament thing. And it doesn't seem too bad. Although it really depends how TNT plays it out.

It's used in chess tournament, for one thing. And the original thinking is that you can't face the same opponent twice so TNT might already be screwing up :P But anyway, let's carry on. There are a couple ways to award points. One is 1pts for win, 0.5 pts for tie, 0 pts for loss. The other is 4 pts for a win, 2 for a tie, 0 for a loss. And some there are many more variations and little details to understand XD.

Like Emily, I'm going to wait before setting my opinion in stone.

The only thing you can expect with the Altador Cup, is that it will change every year! I'm sooooo excited. I'm really hoping that this year they will give players the option of playing with keyboard or mouse! I don't think I'll be able to go as far as I did last year if I can't play with the keyboard, but I would feel really bad if they didn't make it easy for the people that play with a mouse too.

Such a bad day at work today, there is nothing quite like coming home to Altador Cup news!

I've never played before and have absolutely no clue what to do... Are there prizes? An avatar?

There is a prize shop at the end of the Cup which allows you to buy prizes depending on your rank and how many points you collected .. your team's ranking is irrelevant here .. but it matters when it comes to the Trophy

Yes there is an avatar or more ... depending on if TNT decide to re-release them though ..

I've never played before and have absolutely no clue what to do... Are there prizes? An avatar?

If you participate and play hard in Yooyuball and any Altador Cup side games, you can rack up points to spend for prizes at the AC Prize Shop. Also, you can get an avatar just for getting Rank 1 in the Altador Cup, too.

Pretty interesting.

I don't get it too much as of the moment. 4 rounds. 6 days per round. In a single round, 3 brackets with 6 teams in each bracket. I don't get why they use the word bracket. I don't know. Shouldn't they use the term table instead? This is how I understand it:

"Bracket 1"

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3

Team 4

Team 5

Team 6

So basically, they play each other once per round. So I guess they'll incorporate the point system. 3 for a W, 1 for a D and 0 for a L?

I don't know really. But I hope it's something that FIFA uses (just like Angelo said) so it will be quite clear. I just don't get why there are 4 rounds.

I like the fact that they are trying to spice up the Altador Cup, but why must they change the format every year? It becomes hard to get good at this unless it is similar every year so you can get used to it.

I've never been all that interested in the format of the tournament as that has little impact on how I play, so I'm not all that fussed by the change - it might actually shake things up a little bit. I was far more unimpressed by the changes they made last year to the actual play style...it would be fantastic if they'd back down on that but I doubt they will.

Can't really understand the new format, but does this mean that if my team loses in the first round, I'll have to say good bye? :( just 6 days and no more..

I don't think so as that would mean people picking a losing team would be unable to get the higher level brackets for the prize shop and trophies etc... I don't know how it's gonna work out but I wouldn't worry too much.