NC MALL: New Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie

hrtbrk

Not really as the whole basis of neopets has been that you can't simply buy your way through the game with real money. It's an economy in and of itself so simply buying your dream pet is akin to cheating. Which previously was the case - you couldn't exchange np or np items for money. This is neopets bypassing their own rules...should we suggest that this means they have to freeze themselves?

Who says it's the whole basis? Where did TNT outline that exactly? And if I have to repeat myself, these quests still arnt free. You need to spend the neopoints. You're not getting an item to pass on or make neopoints on, so the only advantage you're getting is a painted pet, which like I said before, doesn't affect anyone else. It's not cheating either, considering TNT make the rules I think that's a silly thing to suggest.

I think some people just like to sound off about anything they can to be honest.

Not to mention nobody has even received a FFQ from these cookies yet, it's not as if buying one automatically gets you one, they're still going to be rare.

Who says it's the whole basis? Where did TNT outline that exactly? And if I have to repeat myself, these quests still arnt free. You need to spend the neopoints. You're not getting an item to pass on or make neopoints on, so the only advantage you're getting is a painted pet, which like I said before, doesn't affect anyone else. It's not cheating either, considering TNT make the rules I think that's a silly thing to suggest.

I think some people just like to sound off about anything they can to be honest.

Not to mention nobody has even received a FFQ from these cookies yet, it's not as if buying one automatically gets you one, they're still going to be rare.

Editorial 299 - from the mouths of the horse itself:

“‘We also have NO intention of offering items in the NC Mall that will give players huge game play advantages that so many people are talking about, like Battledome weapons and the like.’

“No, Neopoints will never be able to be purchased. The only items we intend to sell will be thingsthat are pretty or have very benign functions (such as a food item that makes your Neopet happy).”

Benign doesn't usually mean battledome stats or paint jobs...and it's the stats that get me rather than the FFQ quests; I never mentioned FFQ quests for that reason.

And saying that TNT can't cheat because they make the rules is like saying a government can't break the law because they make the law and we all know how true that is.

I think someone has made this point before, but I'll repeat and expand upon it..

Neopets is going to be run the way they want it to run, they are going to do what they want to do when they want to do it, because it's their site. We can moan and complain and threaten to quit, point out the hypocrisy and contradictions all we like, but they are still going to do what they want to do. And they DO need to bring in revenue to keep the site running and the reason you're not allowed to pay for items and NP's with real money to people offering it off site is because Neopets DOES NOT GET THAT MONEY and therefore it is not funding the site. Neopets is FREE to play; you get games, cool looking pets, plots to solve for all you mystery-solving nuts, avatars to collect, build a house, open a shop, the list goes on and on! It's a massive endeavor for them to come up with all of this and if they want to offer special items and charge for them, such is their right..

I don't have a lot of money to throw around either, I live off a very tightly fixed income and the cash cards are the one little treat I allow myself each month; I have a birthday coming up in 2 weeks and what do you think I'm asking for? How many 37 yr. olds ask for cash cards for a kids site? If you're that concerned about not being able to afford them, get a paper route and put the money you make from that towards the cards!! Heck, I started doing papers when I was 10 to make extra money to get the things my parents wouldn't or couldn't get me. Granted that not everyone has ACCESS to the cards, as in they're not sold in their area or country or whatever, and that REALLY sucks, I feel for you in that respect and it IS kind of unfair, but, it is what it is and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.. Ok, I think I'm done now :P

Editorial 299 - from the mouths of the horse itself:

“‘We also have NO intention of offering items in the NC Mall that will give players huge game play advantages that so many people are talking about, like Battledome weapons and the like.’

“No, Neopoints will never be able to be purchased. The only items we intend to sell will be thingsthat are pretty or have very benign functions (such as a food item that makes your Neopet happy).”

Benign doesn't usually mean battledome stats or paint jobs...and it's the stats that get me rather than the FFQ quests; I never mentioned FFQ quests for that reason.

And saying that TNT can't cheat because they make the rules is like saying a government can't break the law because they make the law and we all know how true that is.

They didn't contradict themselves there. Regardless even down the line if they offer items and whatnot, you and anyone else on the site has no right to demand anything ... Neopets is a business and we should remember that, they may end up breaking a promise, it isn't a binding contract.

Saying TNT is cheating is stupid, what are they cheating at exactly? It's a paper thin argument you and every other protestor has going. Unlike the government (what a ridiculous comparison!) TNT can change the rules at their whim if they choose.

I'm also amazed at how many people care what other people are doing with their accounts? It doesn't put you at a disadvantage, it doesn't really affect you at all. Like so many real life issues it's people trying to dictate other peoples lives where they have no business.

They didn't contradict themselves there. Regardless even down the line if they offer items and whatnot, you and anyone else on the site has no right to demand anything ... Neopets is a business and we should remember that, they may end up breaking a promise, it isn't a binding contract. Saying TNT is cheating is stupid, what are they cheating at exactly? It's a paper thin argument you and every other protestor has going. Unlike the government (what a ridiculous comparison!) TNT can change the rules at their whim if they choose. I'm also amazed at how many people care what other people are doing with their accounts? It doesn't put you at a disadvantage, it doesn't really affect you at all. Like so many real life issues it's people trying to dictate other peoples lives where they have no business.

They have contradicted themselves because they are now offering 'huge game play advantages' to players willing to buy NC. At what point is that not a contradiction? It may not be a binding contract and none of us are threatening to take them to court over it for exactly that reason. That doesn't mean they aren't seriously letting down the players who have put years into the site. On the other side they have advertising, they have the nc mall and they have premium - they have enough ways to make money without slapping loyal users around the face.

I never directly said that TNT were cheating. What I said was 'It's an economy in and of itself so simply buying your dream pet is akin to cheating.' I also said that TNT were bending their own rules. Finally I objected to your comment that they cannot cheat because that was a ridiculous comment to make; any large enough body that makes rules can change them, that doesn't mean they can't cheat. My government comparison may have been simplistic (I was trying not to make it an essay) but it wasn't ridiculous. My point was basically that those making the rules are always able to change the rules to meet their own agenda. That does not mean that they are not directly going against what they have said before. If anything my government example was ridiculous because they change often enough that the same people are not breaking their own rules - the same cannot be said of The Neopets Team.

And it does affect other people's gameplay. Surely even you have realised that Neopian inflation has gone through the roof without any help from incompetant staff? Therefore it would seem obvious that the Fortune Cookie doubling the neopoints gained from games by those able to spend real money on it kind of screws with that even more. Equally in Battledome purposes - of course it freaking puts you at a disadvantage. What idiot do you have to be not to see that:

You have money. You pay money. You get quests. You pay a darn site less than the neopoints codestone price for a high level pet to train for 6 hours. You can also have your pet training at the same time.

How in the freak do you not see the disadvantage? How do you not see the contradiction? Surely it doesn't take genious here?

It's disappointing to see all of these changes because it puts people who are already privileged in real life at a huge advantage. Neopets used to be a site where everyone was on roughly the same playing field regardless of background. The economy aside, it can be pretty disheartening when you work really hard acquiring skills and playing games to achieve something that someone else can just buy. I definitely think this is going to alienate people with less physical money, but of course that probably won't affect TNT at all.

Kind of just stating the obvious, but it seems not everyone here feels that way.

12 years and i only got a FFQ recently. on my side account of 7 years. :(

for those interested in trying to go for one, people have narrowed it down to restocking every 2 hours and 5 minutes, and in batches of 50 cookies at the moment. there is usually a cookie stalking board on the NC chat now where you can find out the last restock and wait for the next one, there are also a few more tips (which i haven't bothered to read up on, my connection's not fast enough to grab a cookie in the current madness)

i have mixed feelings about the cookies. i do think its very pretty, and i want one for the gallery, also a number of friends have gotten FFQs on the first use, accounts which are as old or older than my current main account (9yrs) and have never had one. i really want a FFQ. badly. there are so many colours out of my reach that i totally wish i'ld made the effort for before hiatus, because there is no why i could afford a plushie PB now for instance.

i wish they increased the likelihood of normally getting a FFQ :(

They have contradicted themselves because they are now offering 'huge game play advantages' to players willing to buy NC. At what point is that not a contradiction? It may not be a binding contract and none of us are threatening to take them to court over it for exactly that reason. That doesn't mean they aren't seriously letting down the players who have put years into the site. On the other side they have advertising, they have the nc mall and they have premium - they have enough ways to make money without slapping loyal users around the face.

I never directly said that TNT were cheating. What I said was 'It's an economy in and of itself so simply buying your dream pet is akin to cheating.' I also said that TNT were bending their own rules. Finally I objected to your comment that they cannot cheat because that was a ridiculous comment to make; any large enough body that makes rules can change them, that doesn't mean they can't cheat. My government comparison may have been simplistic (I was trying not to make it an essay) but it wasn't ridiculous. My point was basically that those making the rules are always able to change the rules to meet their own agenda. That does not mean that they are not directly going against what they have said before. If anything my government example was ridiculous because they change often enough that the same people are not breaking their own rules - the same cannot be said of The Neopets Team.

And it does affect other people's gameplay. Surely even you have realised that Neopian inflation has gone through the roof without any help from incompetant staff? Therefore it would seem obvious that the Fortune Cookie doubling the neopoints gained from games by those able to spend real money on it kind of screws with that even more. Equally in Battledome purposes - of course it freaking puts you at a disadvantage. What idiot do you have to be not to see that:

You have money. You pay money. You get quests. You pay a darn site less than the neopoints codestone price for a high level pet to train for 6 hours. You can also have your pet training at the same time.

How in the freak do you not see the disadvantage? How do you not see the contradiction? Surely it doesn't take genious here?

You really are cluctching at straws, I can see fromt he guild you're in you just like to moan at whatever you can. Neopoints inflation? Please, I doubt those cookies made any sort of dent compared to A) the sheer amount of players and b) most neopoints likely coming from RS, Habi, KQ ect. As for the BD, it gives an advantage (not a huge one, you're overblowing it again) I still don't see how it hinders anyone elses play. f they battle a pet that has had a few stat increases from the FC they're no more the wiser ...

The government comparison was stupid, neopets is a business, you're having trouble forgetting that. They're not even bending them, they don't even have to abide by them (not that they accepted the terms and conditions like we all did to sign up)

When a FC directly impacts other players (Ie takes quests away from normal users and gives to those using FC) then you'll have an argument, until then you're sounding off about what other people do with their accounts and it's none of your business frankly.

OT: I love these cookies and can't wait to see what other combo's they come up with :-D

'if they really want to stop the complaints .. they should make the cookie for 500 NC or something ... not only 100@

How is that going to appease the complainers?

Dynohawk I understand that you have strong opinions on this but I think you're being quite hostile, could we please all keep a cool head <3 This is neopets guys.

I'm not calling anyone names ^^

It just annoys me when partypoopers try and dictate how others play the game.

I have to kind of agree with D to a certain extent, although I do think things are getting a little heated on this topic.. We all have our own opinions and frustrations with Neopets, some are even suspecting Neo of discrimination against people with certain disabilities in the the changes to Yooyoo Ball, which is utterly ridiculous! I think a lot of people take this GAME waaaay too seriously, when it's supposed to be fun! If you really have that much of an issue with the game and how it's played, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE!!! What are you missing out on? A trophy? An Avatar? Big stinking-pile-of-cow-dung deal!!! I've missed out on sooooo many avatars because I suck at the games, or haven't had access to internet to get on to play and yeah, it bums me out a little; but in the end it's all just a bunch of code and pixels floating aimlessly around in cyberspace and has absolutely no effect on my everyday life.. As it is I'm almost AFRAID to participate in the AC because I don't want anyone yelling at me or making fun of me cause I suck so bad at the games and probably won't gain that many points for my team, like, people are taking this too far and it's off-putting to others.. That's all I'm going to say on the subject anymore..

You really are cluctching at straws, I can see fromt he guild you're in you just like to moan at whatever you can.

You know nothing about me - I've been on neopets for 8 and a half years and in that time I have 'moaned' about two things. Last years Altador Cup changes and the fortune cookies. On the largest amount of occasions I'm completely easy going and couldn't give a toss what TNT want to do. As far as the Altador Cup went I far prefered the original gameplay hence my complaining - along with an insane number of others who obviously 'just like to moan' rather than really disliking the new gameplay and finding it glitchy and unplayable. They seem to have corrected most of the faults this year which should solve the problem happily!

On the other hand have you seen me throwing my toys out of the pram over this years changes?

Most of the time it's considered good form to conduct a debate without having to resort to getting personal.

And morgennaraene - don't worry about others and the AC Cup; some people will always get very uptight over it, just avoid those boards as they're not worth it anyway. It's there for the fun of it...and I'm fairly crud at the games as well so you are seriously not alone!!!

Edited by Secre

Wow! This is an intense debate! I think the cookies are fine, I am all for Neopets doing well financially because I love playing and for most quality online games nowadays you have to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Someone earlier said that they give people who are rich/privileged in the real world more privilege on the site.

Is $1 or $5 or even $10 prohibitively expensive for a lot of people? I don't think so. Most adults have credit cards and most kids have at least some discretionary spending money.

I agree with morgennaraene's point that Neopets has always advantaged certain players because of the structure of the game. My fiance complains to me that I have an unfair advantage because my computer is fast enough to run Habitarium at a reasonable speed and his isn't. But he is way better at games than me and can make more in 1 hour than I can in 3 playing games. So yeah, being willing to spend a few bucks gives some people a slight advantage. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Is $1 or $5 or even $10 prohibitively expensive for a lot of people? I don't think so. Most adults have credit cards and most kids have at least some discretionary spending money.

I don't think it's that it's expensive. I think it's moreso people would rather spend money on other things, especially tangible objects.

I've seen plenty of people who consider NC a scam, because it's virtual.

I don't think it's that it's expensive. I think it's moreso people would rather spend money on other things, especially tangible objects.

That line of thinking just doesn't make sense to me. People spend hours of their time and energy trying to obtain virtual objects but still think that virtual objects have no monetary value? A lot of stuff that people buy that is 'tangible' has mostly symbolic value anyways... like brand names or historical artifacts like on Pawn Stars. It's the meaning attached to something that matters. If a lot of people think that something is valuable then it becomes valuable.

I know I said I would shut up about it but... :D

I would also like to point out that at least we don't HAVE to PAY to be ABLE to PLAY, example: Webkinz, you can't even activate an account without buying merchandise and getting the code. And if you want to have more than one pet, you pay and pay and pay.. THEN, on TOP of that, they have the E-store where you can buy special pets, clothes, furniture and so on, and THEEEENNNN, they also offer a Deluxe membership that you pay a monthly fee for... I admittedly have about 10 pets and would LOOOOVE to be able to buy some of the things they have in the E-store, but I don't own a credit card and have not been able to find the cash cards for the site, so, I'm crap outta luck. Does it bum me out? Yup. Will I stop playing because other's have advantage over me and can get the really cool stuff? Nope, I loves ma babies :)

That line of thinking just doesn't make sense to me. People spend hours of their time and energy trying to obtain virtual objects but still think that virtual objects have no monetary value? A lot of stuff that people buy that is 'tangible' has mostly symbolic value anyways... like brand names or historical artifacts like on Pawn Stars. It's the meaning attached to something that matters. If a lot of people think that something is valuable then it becomes valuable.

It doesn't make sense to me, either, but it seems to be what a lot of people think. Like, "Why should I buy NC when I could spend my money on this new video game?" or something.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that TNT addressed the cookies in the Editorial this week.

Ever since Noda's fortune cookies appeared in the NC Mall, the Neoboards have been crying that it is unfair; that potential extra Neopet stats in the forms of extra lab zaps and faerie quests is a gameplay advantage, and they cite a former NT Editorial as saying that NC would never provide advantages. Players seem to be very upset about the cookies, and are saying that it's one step away from being able to buy avatars and Battledome weapons with NC, and so on. So, what is the official position on the fortune cookies? How is it different from "buying your way through the game"? Also, did Noda cause all this trouble on purpose, or is he just an unfortunate victim caught in the crossfire of controversy? ~elphieluvr

We don't consider the new fortune cookies to be an unfair advantage. While we do have to make money as a business, we think the best way to do that is by making our players happy. Despite what some may think, our main goal is to make free players happy, NC players happy, and Premium players happy, but none at the expense of the others! (You should see some of the ideas that have come up for things to sell. They would sell like hotcakes, but... *shudder*.) We know our NC players want something more than clothing, so we're trying to find different ways to make them happy that doesn't affect anyone else.

So, with that out of the way...

We consider the cookies to be time-savers. For the lab cookie, as an example, you have to have the map already; the cookie doesn't grant it. You've already put that gameplay effort in and you're already zapping using the map. The results of a zap are also completely random. So, the cookie simply lets you get results faster than if you were zapping without it. Rather than wait three days to see what you get in three zaps, you can do three today. This could result in stats in a week rather than two weeks, or it could result in your Neopet going back down to level 1 and turning into a mutant Tuskaninny today rather than tomorrow. The cookie guarantees you nothing but more zaps in less time.

We feel the same principle is true for the others. Each cookie decreases the time you have to wait to reach your goal, but you still have to play the game and put in the effort to reach it. (You need skill in Flash games to earn NP from them. You need to be able to find and purchase the items required for Faerie Quests, etc.) They don't simply hand out rewards without having to earn them first. Then they would be unfair, we think.

We also want to point out that we're logging the heck out of each cookie and monitoring everything. We know how many sell, how fast, what they result in, what individuals are earning, what the spread is, and so on. We do realise there are certain economic factors that come into play with some of these cookies, and if there's a negative impact overall then we'll definitely deal with it. We're not just tossing these out there and moving on!

Some people may still disagree with us, and that's okay. Let us know what you're thinking. We do read your feedback. As long as everyone is constructive (:P), we're always open to discussion.

(Also, for those wondering, it is entirely possible to have the cookie, the space faerie charm, the talisman, and the featured game stack to result in quite a bit of NP from one game play. This is EXTREMELY rare and has not happened yet. We did not prevent it from happening in the code because it is just so very rare, so we consider it like hitting a jackpot on a daily. If you get it, you're the luckiest Neopian ever.)

Finally got one..

You have completed a quest for the Battle Faerie.

battle-faerie-1-1.jpg

This should help our cause. The war is not yet won, but the battle turns in our favour.

For your efforts, ReddRaene's defence, strength, and health have increased!

Sorry, but I love them.. I will post a record of each quest I get and we'll see if I get an FFQ. Considering how much I lose to the Lab Ray, I think this is a great way to make up for it..

It doesn't make sense to me, either, but it seems to be what a lot of people think. Like, "Why should I buy NC when I could spend my money on this new video game?" or something.

It's really quite a ridiculous way of thinking about things, in my humble opinion. It's easily extended to "why do you have ten pairs of shoes? You only have one pair of feet!" People are free to spend money on things they are passionate about, real or virtual.

On topic, the cookies have actually seemed more reasonable to me as I've gotten used to them. That TNT is keeping note of how they sell etc, I find very comforting. If these cookies kick up more of a fuss than usual, maybe they could be regulated to accounts over a certain age (5 years?)

Bought 5 more today, I got 67 days of quests left :-D one HAS to be FFQ right?!

Wow, if you don't, no one will! Best of luck. :D

You have completed a quest for a Light Faerie.

light-faerie-1-1.jpg

This is just what I needed for my spell. May the light of faeries shine upon you.

For your efforts, ReddRaene's level has increased!

Neat, that's 5 level's up today :) Considering how much I've been losing to the Lab Ray (and working on the Deadly Dice avatar), it's been nice to finally get back to around where I was..