Why do American school start in August and end in May?

Lady Lyuba

I kinda think it's not fair. The only place in the US I know to still start after Labor Day and end in June is my own state, Oregon - and probably Washington, too. I hear the North still keeps the old format. But I know a few in the North, such as in Michigan, who start and end in the new way. Is the North converting? Or is the South more populated?

I'm jealous of everyone out of school already. One kid even thinks I get out of school "late" and thinks it's sad. I think it's sad THEY have to go back when it is still SUMMER and Labor Day is a three day weekend with homework!

The entire country used to start after Labor Day, why did the country suddenly change the school year times? And when was the law changed? Why did they come up with something so stupid? I personally can't imagine nor want to be in a classroom with homework in the middle of August.

My high school started in August when I was attending, but it's only been the past year or so that it's moved from the end of August to starting at almost the beginning. However, the college I go to now starts the Thursday/Friday before Labor Day, and we have class ON Labor Day. I know of a few other colleges that don't start until after Labor Day, but most that I know of start in August.

But then again, most of the colleges that start in August get out in the very beginning of May.

As far as I can tell, the high schoolers I know don't even think about the fact that Labor Day weekend is a three-day HW weekend. They mostly are just pretty happy they have an extra day off school :P

Summer vacation was originally put in place so kids could help their parents on their farms. That particular period- June to September- syncs up with the most demanding time on a farm. It's different in the north and the south due to slightly different planting seasons, different crops and weather and all that. Seeing a students no longer need to hlep on farms, they've been slowly changing the timing of the school year, and I know some want to remove summer vacation all together.

i have no idea if this is true or not but i had a teacher once tell me that the reason schools have different spring breaks was because the kids caused too much trouble all being out at the same time. maybe its the same for summer? i dont know. cuz i know where i live schools tend to have different breaks, including summer vacation and the beginning of a new school year. There are even year round school where the "summer" vacation (3 months) is sometime other than the summer.

i agree with you and don't like starting school in august. however, it does feel good to already be out of school.

Don't think it has anything to do with law but the school board. On the bright side, while you are having vacation in August they are in school.

i have no idea if this is true or not but i had a teacher once tell me that the reason schools have different spring breaks was because the kids caused too much trouble all being out at the same time. maybe its the same for summer? i dont know. cuz i know where i live schools tend to have different breaks, including summer vacation and the beginning of a new school year. There are even year round school where the "summer" vacation (3 months) is sometime other than the summer.

i agree with you and don't like starting school in august. however, it does feel good to already be out of school.

How can you cause trouble if you live miles away from each other in different states.

Don't think it has anything to do with law but the school board. On the bright side, while you are having vacation in August they are in school.How can you cause trouble if you live miles away from each other in different states.

i was talking about the schools in my particular area. they have different break times. so maybe other states have adopted something similar for schools in their own areas.

Well different states start school differently, and end differently. Like one of my friends is just getting out of school now where as I've been out of school for weeks now. Though kids all might get out at different times- there's usually no less or more of a break for anyone except for maybe a day or two, to a week(which I think is generally a school decision). I'm seventeen and our summer time only changed once, back when I was in elementary school. I think we had weeks sawed off or something. We used to start back school in the middle of August now it's within the first week. I actually wonder if it has anything to do with state since school is still in session for some kids in the northern half of my state...

I could just be rambling with idiocy about a subject I have no knowledge about. :eh:

Though I'm pretty mad that I'm still in school while all the other American children have been out for two weeks or more. I don't get to be released until June 13 (though of course it depends on the class registered)! LATE! That's what I think Oregon is.

tumblr_l96b01l36p1qdhmifo1_500.jpg

OREGON, Y U NO LIKE THE REST OF COUNTRY?

When I first started going to school and a lot of my years, we had a fairly normal schedule, where we were out by sometime in May. Then my school district changed. Some years, the school year wouldn't start until mid to late September, and then the school year would go well into June. This was because the schools in my district were really old. (My mom went to the same elementary and middle school as I did, so they were around in the early 60s) The high school I went to was the original in the city. (It was actually named after the city and had to change it's name once more high schools opened. My grandpa actually went to my HS.)

Since the buildings were so old, there was no AC, which made classes miserable. They decided to push back the start of the school year until the temperatures started to go down a bit. Now they're on a more normal schedule, but with the time that has passed, they've probably started working on remodeling the schools.

So it's possible there's some reason like that.

I personally think its completely fair. I bet you get almost the same number of working days with just, maybe a week's difference, that's 5 whole working days.

There are many other countries which work in summer too and I'm not talking about America who's temperature in summer decreases just a little. That's what I'd call unfair. :mellow:

When I first started going to school and a lot of my years, we had a fairly normal schedule, where we were out by sometime in May. Then my school district changed. Some years, the school year wouldn't start until mid to late September, and then the school year would go well into June. This was because the schools in my district were really old. (My mom went to the same elementary and middle school as I did, so they were around in the early 60s) The high school I went to was the original in the city. (It was actually named after the city and had to change it's name once more high schools opened. My grandpa actually went to my HS.)

Since the buildings were so old, there was no AC, which made classes miserable. They decided to push back the start of the school year until the temperatures started to go down a bit. Now they're on a more normal schedule, but with the time that has passed, they've probably started working on remodeling the schools.

So it's possible there's some reason like that.

It was changed the other way around. Once upon a time, the traditional school year started in August and ended in June. Then somebody came up with this idea to push things back earlier so it would start in August and end in May. At first it was only Southern states, but now Northern states are converting, so now it's 90% of American schools with the new school year. Some districts have been reluctant to conform.

Seeing a students no longer need to hlep on farms, they've been slowly changing the timing of the school year, and I know some want to remove summer vacation all together.

They better come visit where I live then then... farm help is still needed. :P We even hire a group of boys to help during cuttings. Though really I don't think school can revolve around that anymore.

All I can say is I'm glad I just graduated! I enjoyed having all August off throughout my school years. Going back at the beginning of August would have ruined summers for me. We only get three months of decent weather up here and no kid wants to spend it busy with school and homework.

The year-round school I went to started the last week of July and ended around the second to last week of May. We had 2 weeks off after every quarter, and had 2 months for summer. The middle and elementary schools received 3 weeks between quarters, but only 1 month of summer.

It depends. I got out May 18. I go back on the first week of August. There is a school downtown that got out in April.

As for population, I think the North is crowded. I live in the South. The South has farms and it takes up land. But, I don't see that population affects this.

I kinda think it's not fair. The only place in the US I know to still start after Labor Day and end in June is my own state, Oregon - and probably Washington, too. I hear the North still keeps the old format. But I know a few in the North, such as in Michigan, who start and end in the new way. Is the North converting? Or is the South more populated?

I'm jealous of everyone out of school already. One kid even thinks I get out of school "late" and thinks it's sad. I think it's sad THEY have to go back when it is still SUMMER and Labor Day is a three day weekend with homework!

The entire country used to start after Labor Day, why did the country suddenly change the school year times? And when was the law changed? Why did they come up with something so stupid? I personally can't imagine nor want to be in a classroom with homework in the middle of August.

You know I've always asked that same question. Just like you, I've started school after Labor Day and ended in June all my life. It seems to me that in my area (which is north), most city schools follow that schedule and most suburban schools follow the august/may schedule. Don't be angry about it, while they're working their butts off studying in August, we still get to chill and enjoy the weather xD

Summer vacation was originally put in place so kids could help their parents on their farms. That particular period- June to September- syncs up with the most demanding time on a farm. It's different in the north and the south due to slightly different planting seasons, different crops and weather and all that. Seeing a students no longer need to hlep on farms, they've been slowly changing the timing of the school year, and I know some want to remove summer vacation all together.

Oh wow, I never knew that! That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for explaining :P

Though I'm pretty mad that I'm still in school while all the other American children have been out for two weeks or more. I don't get to be released until June 13 (though of course it depends on the class registered)! LATE! That's what I think Oregon is.

LOL, I think you're lucky! Here in Canada, I always remembered starting in September and ending around June 13, but every year the start date slowly crept earlier and earlier until we were starting in late August, and the end date crept later and later until we were getting out closer to the end of June. Early and late! :P

I think across the country everyone has a pretty standard amount of school days that are supposed to occur during the school year, so even though the year is stretching out, there's just more holidays (teacher development days, longer christmas break, etc.) - it all evens out in the end!

LOL, I think you're lucky! Here in Canada, I always remembered starting in September and ending around June 13, but every year the start date slowly crept earlier and earlier until we were starting in late August, and the end date crept later and later until we were getting out closer to the end of June. Early and late! :P

I think across the country everyone has a pretty standard amount of school days that are supposed to occur during the school year, so even though the year is stretching out, there's just more holidays (teacher development days, longer christmas break, etc.) - it all evens out in the end!

Wait what? I'm in Canada too, but I start in early September still...But yeah, ending in late June...

In the northeast we start in September and end in late June. It's....kinda a pain, but kinda nice to have the nicest time of the year off. Not that i'm in school anymore, but I remember it fondly.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNGN'S

Heh, sorry, I made myself sound so old...

• 2 weeks later...

Well in California Elementary - High school ends in June(and begins sometime in the beginning od Sept), at least in my day it did and I believe it still does. My 14 year old cousin graduated middle school this month.

Now in commenity college, they have a semester system so Spring session begins in the beginning of Feb and ends in late May.

It's not a state-by-state thing, it's actually a district-by-district thing. Our district only recently changed to the August-May schedule. The reason is that most universities go from an August-May schedule, so it's more convenient for parents. If their younger kids get out in June, but their college kids graduate in May, then the younger kids either have to miss school or miss the graduation. Or at least, that's what I was told. My district is also trying to sync up on winter and spring breaks as well, because often times, college kids come home, but their younger siblings are still in school.

If you really want something similar, enough parents have to complain about it. (Which is why our district decided to change.)