Tattoos.

complicatedwishes

I had a look through 3 pages in the debate threads and couldn't find anything on tattoos so...

This was showing up on my FB feed today http://www.mirror.co..._xrYpBI.twitter

You should definitely read it. Everyone is welcome to have their own opinions, especially with things like tattoos because they aren't for everyone. It's taken me a few years to actually pluck up the courage and get one, so far I don't regret it, at all. I just really don't agree with what Tony Parsons has said when he's attacking an industry that he knows absolutely nothing about :mellow:.

Tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable (minus with the likes of Mr Parsons). He also had no inclination to understand the reasons why people do get tattooed. I can't believe someone could be so clearly ignorant to the changing world around themselves.

That's my opinion anyway, what do you guys think?

Me too! With my rose it's my favourite flower and it's my middle name which is what my mum chose for me, so because my mum chose it a rose feels special for me.

Plus, I think it's lovely when people get tattoos to remember/in memory of someone.

Tattoos, eh? I don't really have that strong of an opinion on tattoos either way, however I do completely disagree with Mr. Pompous Parsons. Tattoos are a choice and are gotten for many many reasons. My aunt has a celtic tattoo on her arm and has had it for yeaaaars. To this day, I don't think she'd look quite right without it. My old best friend's mother got a tattoo after she had a stillborn as a tribute to the baby and my current best friend has a tattoo as a tribute to her sister, who was stillborn also. MY father is contemplating getting a tattoo in memory of my great grandmother, and I've always thought that tattoos can be beautiful. I also think they can be tacky and in poor taste. It just depends. And as for his point about people regretting it when they're old, I recently saw a woman who was somewhere in her 60s or 70s who had almost every inch of her body covered in tats and she looked fabulous. Or 50 year old biker men with tattoos that still somehow look awesome. So whatever, tattoos are a choice and it's up to the person to decide what is considered "tacky" to them. All I know is that I may be getting a tattoo in the near future to commemorate my love for the moon. :P

I think tattoos are beautiful. I myself have one. It's on my forearm and it's a sparrow. Tattoos are a means of expressing ones self and getting a nice reminder of something. I have a couple more tattoos planned. I just have to wait for a job. xD. All the tattoos I want have meaning too. Though, I would not mind getting one tattoo for just art. If I could be one of those models that have tattoos on them and are in the tattoo magazines, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Ah, I have so many tattoo feelings.

25antle.jpg

That's mine. All simple and stuff. Sparrows have a couple of meanings but one is joy. Plus, I love the freedom that birds have. Also, I realized after, my sparrow tattoo is in the same place (and looks similar) to Johnny Depp's on POTC. xD But anyways, I'll shush now. :3 I hope I got my point across.

Well I think that getting a tattoo is a person's own choice, and that Mr. Parsons is being harsh in saying that all tattoos are crass and make his skin crawl. While I'm hesitant to get a tattoo (though I want to get an orchid, because it's the favourite flower of both me and my dad, and we hardly see each other anymore), I think that they are a great way for people to express themselves or to commemmorate someone or something.

Wow, that idiot sounds just like my dad.

I find it so insulting when people judge others for their tattoos. A flower or a heart or whatever may not be unique, but the meaning behind tattoos usually are. Tattoos are often terribly personal: a memory of getting through a tough time, losing a loved one, a symbol of something that is important to them, etc. Whenever I see people insulting a tattoo because they don't like how it looks, I want to slap them.

I have a tattoo. It's the signature of Kurt Vonnegut- he was my favourite author through most of highschool and for a couple of years afterwards. He wrote Science Fiction, but all of his books had so much heart and soul in them. He used Science Fiction to show humans, and their behavour (as all good SF should do.)

I had originally planned on getting a quote from a book of his to go with it, but I figured I'd just get it done later, and I haven't done it yet. I was going to have "There's only one rule I know of, babies: '[removed], you've got to be kind'." I find it kind of hopeful for the human race. The man who is talking in the book is saying that when talking to a bunch of children, the only rule he can think of to live on this planet is to be kind to others. How beautiful is that?

I got the signature part in a place that was important to me as well. I struggled with a lot of body issues when I was young, and when I got interested in tattoos I swore to myself that I wouldn't get one until I was 'pretty', until I was thin. I said the hell to that when I did get my tattoo, and I got it on the body part I had always hated the most- my leg. My big fat thigh. This (granted, pretty scribbly, but) beautiful work of art is always going to be there. Maybe I won't always love it like I do. Maybe someday I will wish I hadn't put it there, or I had something else tattooed on me. But I will always appreciate what it means to me.

Tattoos are an important and beautiful way to express yourself, and to come to terms with things that have happened. I know people who have had tattoos placed over the scars they have from self harm. Doing that helped them in their recovery, since instead of these daily reminders of your pain, they have something beautiful.

My brother has plans to get the 23 Psalm as a tattoo ("Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" etc). To me, his getting that makes perfect sense- he spent years as a drug addict. He didn't graduate highschool, nearly got himself kicked out of my parents' house, got arrested... but he got himself clean. He got his diploma, and is at school to be a nurse. He has a beautiful daughter now (he also has a tattoo of her feet prints on his arm), and life is looking up. But I can totally see why he would want a reminder of the hell he went through, and how he came out of it.

Tony Parsons can go suck it. Go ahead and not get a tattoo. But don't you dare insult others- you have no idea what they've been through or why they got that tattoo.

EDIT: Whoopsy, sorry about the cursing. :) -waggles finger at Vonnegut- Potty mouth. :P

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please avoid cursing, there are members under the age of 13 who visit this forum.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I can't stand when people think tattoos just look dumb. I know that some people do get tattoos "just because", but a majority of people get their tattoos for a reason. A couple of months ago I went with one of my best friends to get her first tattoo. Her mother passed away when we were in the 7th grade, and she wanted to get her mother's initials tattooed as a tribute to her. So that's what she did, and it came out wonderful. I've been debating about getting a tattoo of my own. A very small one, and very hidden. But still, a tattoo is a tattoo. The only problem is that I haven't had the money to be able to do it yet, but what I want would have a lot of meaning behind it and would be resemblant of a very rough period of time I went through when I was younger. Reading that article actually made me angry. I know that people are allowed to have their own opinions, but his "article" crosses that line. He's shoving his opinion in your face like it's the right and only opinion to have on the matter, and everyone who has a diffierent opinion is wrong. What a joke.

I can only agree with everything that has been said. Parsons sounds like a stuffy old man who has lost touch long ago. He reminds me of my dad. When I got my tongue pierced, the first thing he said was "who are you trying to look good for?" Thankfully he has stopped with the snotty remarks now. I think my mom has talked some sense into him. Or maybe it's because I am now almost 32 and not his responsibility anymore :D Now he settles with thinking his snotty remarks, instead of saying them out loud. For the most part.

On topic: True, some tattoos look terrible, but so do a lot of things, including some clothes that some people wear - but they wear it because they think it looks nice, same with tattoos. It's highly subjective. Good thing the world doesn't try to conform to Mr Parsons sense of good taste.

I'd love to get a tattoo myself, but I'm afraid I'd have an allergic reaction. Also, they're really expensive...

I love tattoos. I have them. I get them for me and not anyone else. My tattoos all mean something to me, and that's why I got them. Parsons describes them as cries for attention and body mutilation. How is a tattoo any more a cry for attention than wearing, say, a loud Hawaiian shirt? Aren't ear piercings technically body mutilations? Why does he care so much about the decisions of people that have no effect on him at all?

I found myself agreeing with one of the commenters, Fritz. It's ok to discriminate against tattooed people, but had the article been written on race or gender, it would never have seen the light of day. But apparently because people choose to get tattoos, it's perfectly ok to bash them for making the "wrong" choice.

Long story short, don't try to make my decisions for me. They have no effect on you. You don't like tattoos, don't get one. SImple as that.

Yeah, I remember we had a sub in my Chemistry class once. He was an older man. I turned in my work or whatever and as I went to sit down he was like "why?" and I replied "why what?" confused and then he proceeded, in front of the whole class, to basically insult me. "Why would you do that to your skin? You're so young. Your skin is fully ruined now." and so forth.

I had so many emotions going through me at that moment, I didn't know how to respond. ;-;

Yeah, I remember we had a sub in my Chemistry class once. He was an older man. I turned in my work or whatever and as I went to sit down he was like "why?" and I replied "why what?" confused and then he proceeded, in front of the whole class, to basically insult me. "Why would you do that to your skin? You're so young. Your skin is fully ruined now." and so forth.

I had so many emotions going through me at that moment, I didn't know how to respond. ;-;

Wow, how rude can you get? He was completely out of line to insult you like that. :/

Wow, how rude can you get? He was completely out of line to insult you like that. :/

Agreed. It's not appropriate for a teacher figure to do that in any situation, especially in front of the entire class. I, for one, think your tattoo looks great. ^_^

Thank you both! :laughingsmiley:

Yeah, it was really rude of him. I told my teacher the next day, needless to say she wasn't too happy. I don't recall him being back in that class either.

Old subs, y'know. They just go by their own rules. :shiftyeyes_anim:

I definitely don't mind tattoos on people. Generally, I'm more attracted to guys with tattoos haha. I would never get one myself though as I'm not a big fan of needles. I didn't even get my ears pierced until shortly after I turned 22. My cousin's actually at tattoo artist so I like to support tattoos. (without actually getting one lol)

I would never get a tattoo for a number of reasons, but the main one is I'm rather fickle. I'll like something one day and hate it the next. I don't like things that can't be undone. I'm also mortally terrified of needles and pain and infections. If tattoos are for others, then I'm all for it. But there are some people who do things just to shock others (really really weird piercings and the like), and I don't agree with that being a reason to disfigure yourself.

I would never get a tattoo for a number of reasons, but the main one is I'm rather fickle. I'll like something one day and hate it the next. I don't like things that can't be undone. I'm also mortally terrified of needles and pain and infections. If tattoos are for others, then I'm all for it. But there are some people who do things just to shock others (really really weird piercings and the like), and I don't agree with that being a reason to disfigure yourself.

The people getting the weird piercings or whatever don't think that they're disfiguring themselves. That's kind of the point of body modifications. They get things that they think look good- doesn't matter if you agree with them or not.

I've had lots of piercings over the years, and I'm sure that many people thought that I was completely disfigured, but I never saw myself that way. I loved the way they looked, and I saw them as an asset, rather than a hindrance to my appearance.

I kind of hate how certain things dealing with body modification are accepted in our society and others aren't as accepted. To me, dying your hair or putting on makeup is kind of like body modification. You're changing yourself to look like to what you think is better for you. And I'm all for that. I think getting a tattoo or a piercing is pretty much the same thing. It's just permanent. I don't understand why one is more socially acceptable. If we think it looks good on us then that's all that should matter. I feel like at this point girls getting hissi enhancements or a nose job is more acceptable a lot of the time than someone getting a ton of tattoos/piercings. I think it should all be accepted since when we do these things we're not affecting anyone else. (Sorry for the small rant.)

I have thought about getting a tattoo, but for one thing, I'm afraid of needles, and for another, I do believe that tattooing is a form of self-mutilation (not trying to sound harsh, couldn't think of another word), something that God prohibited in the Bible. As I believe that God created us, I feel that he has the right to dictate how we treat our bodies. That being said, I do not judge others for their tattoos. Plenty of my friends have tattoos from previous parts of their lives, some of which are beautiful. Mr. Parsons is entitled to his opinion, but to characterize people simply on the basis of their appearance is presumptuous and downright rude.

Okay, I'm posting this here because it's funny and it just popped up on my tumblr.

qoizvb.jpg

Okay, there we go.

c:

Hahah, yes, exactly! :)

I love Condescending Wonka. :)

In general, I don't like tattoos.

I don't like the permanence of tattoos. I think, "Yes, you want that now, but WILL you want it in five years? Ten years? Forty years?" I don't like that tattoos stretch. One day, it's pretty, and then you get older, and not so good now.

I don't like it when tattoos are overdone. When someone is so covered with them you can't tell where their patterned shirt ends and skin begins. When someone needles so much into their body that should they go in to have blood drawn, the phlebotomist cannot find a vein. It doesn't look good; I have never seen it look good when there are too many tattoos.

I don't like that they *can* cause infections. This one isn't nearly as big a deal, though, because a lot of things can cause infection, and a good tattoo parlor will do it safely.

For the most part, I don't like the way they look.

Whatever. My personal preference. And other people have different personal preferences. So it's stupid to tell others that they made a mistake, etc. etc. etc. It's stupid to judge people on it.

All right, now that you know my opinion of tattoos, let me tell you that there are tattoos I like. There are definitely nice, simple tattoos that are pretty.

And of course, there's this awesome one...

Toe-Tattoo.jpg