How do you scan your art?

super_almoner

I use a HP PSC 4000 all-in-one scanner so it does both printing and scanning. It is fairly decent except the software can only be installed in windows xp or below for some reason so keep in mind the compatibility of the software to your operating system when buying a new scanner :)

If you are interested, here are some examples:

- pencil

- colour pencil

- lineart (felt-tip)

Sorry I haven't scanned any watercolour stuff :(

Good luck buying your scanner!

I invested in a Canon CanoScan Lide 700F 2 years ago. I don't draw a lot, but it's been useful to scan documents too. :P

Main advantage of not using a all-in-one scanner is that you get a much better resolution if you buy just a scanner. For instance, my scanner is 9600 dpi and the one posted by tazrandus is 4800 dpi.

Before owning a scan, I'd just use my camera to take a picture of drawing and retrace in photoshop. It's not as good, but it can work if you don't have anything else you can use.

@tazrandus, I run Windows 7 so that's a shame since it seems to do the trick. I LOVE your drawings by the way! So awesome!!!

@Xepha, I've been using my DSLR to take photos, but it's definitely not going to work for the webcomic I'm starting up. Hm, if printer/scanners have worse resolutions, maybe I should look at ones without. Though the printer would save me a trip to the basement every time I need to print :P

To resize or compress artwork, you do that after the scan in the GIMP or some other program, right?