When/if you've ever pounded a pet, did you feel bad?

usinski

I pound a lot of pets, because I snatch them up, zap them, and toss them back into the pound. I check on them once and a while and that's the only time I feel bad because most of them are now on accounts that haven't been active for a long time. Sigh. A Woodland Uni (last spotted 18 days ago), Desert Bori (Last Spotted 30 days ago), an Island Grundo (Last Spotted 208 days ago), and a Darigan Lenny (Last spotted a long, long time ago.)

It seems every pet I've pounded, the owner disappeared shortly after. ):

• 1 month later...

I never feel bad because I adopt to Lab Zap. As soon as I get a colour change to something other than red, blue, green or yellow, I put the pet back into the Pound and adopt another. Then repeat the process.

I've only ever abandoned maybe one pet in all my Neo-life but I did feel bad about it because she was one of my first pets. For a while she had a good home until the person quit playing years ago :/

I usually adopt/create pets and zap them until they're a decent color and then pound. I don't feel too bad because I know their color will ensure that they get a home. But I always feel sad looking through pounded pets because you can see when people obviously didn't care when you look at their names :(

Those guilt-trip messages made me feel really bad, the few times I've pounded pets. That being said, l can't wait to get my current pets to a species/colour combination that I'm happy with, so that I can start adopting to zap and fulfil people's dream pet wishes!

I had two Shoyrus that I created back in the day when the rainbow fountain was just... readily available for free. I named them based on the colours I planned to paint them, and years later got bored of them. Their adoptive owners quit ages ago, and I still get sad when I think of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I feel bad but then again, I know someone who changes her pet with a cheap morph because she doesn't want anyone to have her pet but doesn't do anything with it herself, and then pounds XDD

It's kinda funny but sad though haha so at least my coloured pets aren't wasted when people adopt them. :laughingsmiley:

I've abandoned a total of three pets (I realised I wasn't caring for them and I honestly didn't like them (They were my first pets I made when I was like 9)) and I felt horrible, I always get super attached to my Neopets and treat them as real pets, so I was very sad. 

I've abandoned 2 neopets: cool_grundo_77 and cool_quiggle_77. The way I name my pets defeats the purpose of getting the laboratory map or a morphing potion. Can you picture a jelly Grundo named cool_xweetok_77? :S

My pet names are so stupid.. :x

I want to get rid of MadderHorn since the lab ray changed him to a her, and I think she was definitely better suited as a Kau name wise. But I don't have access to the lab ray anymore (on old account), and I can't bring myself to pound her since she's been around for years. I shoved her to this account years ago for that reason, but now that this is my main and my only side isn't able to adopt her yet, here I sit. Wanting to move on to pet avs, but unable to make room. Ugh.

Most of the pets I outright pounded were painted via lab ray, I "fostered" pound pets so they could find homes. c:

That being said, most of the pets I did that with were either 1) sent to someone who was on a list and had it as their dream pet (I was part of ZYDP ^-^) or 2) adopted out via applications from the pound chat/FC in the old days

So I've never felt bad about it really. I do feel sad about all the "unadoptable" pets that populate the pound though. No rehoming effort will ever get all of them, and there really isn't a good way for anyone to clean up the pound.

I did feel super guilty after pounding a blue bruce that had a lot of numbers in it's name.... I was nine back then and thought that my dad would be angry that I made another pet :rolleyes_anim:

Haha,after that I made a pet bruce then morphed her to a mutant ixi for the avatar xD

I feel guilty unless I know it will probably be adopted.  Like often I will adopt a pet to zap, and when it's a cool color I will put it back into the pound.  I pretty much know it will get adopted because I don't just put any color, I put rarer ones that are hard to find.

But if I had to pound any of my other pets, yeah, I would feel guilty.  I have all these backstories for them in my head. D:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never feel bad because I adopt to Lab Zap. As soon as I get a colour change to something other than red, blue, green or yellow, I put the pet back into the Pound and adopt another. Then repeat the process.

I do the same thing, so don't feel bad...I use the "Lost & Pound" site and always adopt the pet that has been in the pound the longest :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will pound pets sometimes because I have a tendency to adopt way too many neopets - HOWEVER, this is under the condition that they WILL find a home someday. I don't forget about them. I have some pets floating around in the pound still and occasionally I'll adopt them back, put them in the NeoLodge, and then re-pound them to hopefully make them available in the main pound. (Sometimes I think my pets usually end up as stuck pets.)

It kind of helps ease my guilt to view it as a foster system, not an adoption system. So either way, I'm hoping they find a home eventually even if I can't be their owner.

When I was a kid I wouldn't pound them because the "don't leave me" and "oh please noooo" buttons would make me sad, but once I pounded my first pet I started pounding more without a second thought. Now I'm more sensitive to it, I guess.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sometimes I snatch pets up from the pound for avatar hunting - I always give them food, play with them, and cure any sicknesses before dumping them back in the pound.  Do they try to guilt trip me when I drop them back off?  Yes.  But I left them in better shape than I found them... I consider it to be like volunteering at the shelter, walking and playing with the dogs who are there.  I don't let myself feel bad!!

BUT... one that I MADE when I was a kid... I wanted a baby Kougra sooo bad.  Their old art was SO cute.  So I made a Kougra, named it Fruzzellas_friend (my main neopet is Fruzzella), and started playing games to save up for a baby paint brush.

And I made nowhere near enough money for it.

I hung onto this basic blue Kougra, with a crappy name that leaves her no identity of her own, for YEARS.  Finally got over the guilt trip and dumped her off in the pound.

And she was still there years later.

I felt so guilty!!!!  I adopted her back.  This year!!  Despite her entire identity/name being just my main neopet's friend, I painted her nice, dressed her nice, and still take care of her.  Haha.  I felt too bad!!!

3 hours ago, natvv said:

Finally got over the guilt trip and dumped her off in the pound.

And she was still there years later.

I felt so guilty!!!!  I adopted her back. 

This reminds me of the Quig on my side account so much! I pounded him after discovering that you didn't actually have to have a pet. I thought that would solve all my issues of hardly ever remembering to log into that account to put him in the Neolodge.

Turns out I was wrong! Whilst you theoretically don't have to have a pet, you can do absolutely nothing without one, you can't get past the create-a-pet page if I remember rightly, so I re-adopted him.

I mean, he seems ok, but I can't help but feel that there's gonna be some PTSD in his mental make up now... and some serious issues with me personally. :upsidedown: I got him a companion; there's a Pirate Aisha who's also generally starving keeping him company now. They're probably plotting my demise...

3 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I mean, he seems ok, but I can't help but feel that there's gonna be some PTSD in his mental make up now... 

Poor lil guy!  Hah!

I keep thinking I should come up with a nickname/name beyond "friend" for my Kougra, but... I can just... never think of anything...... haha

mental trauma for our neopets!  wooo!