Hating your pet's name

usinski

Haha all the names for my pets were made when I was a lot younger so they're quite terrible names XDD. But I'm too attached to my pets so I don't want to get rid of them just for a new name.

Yeah, on my account, that I came back to after I believe... a five or six year hiatus, all of my pet's names started with "mr_ninja_". I loved ninjas at the time.:/

But that's so depressing that TNT doesn't see how big of an opportunity this could be. Yeah, sure, they'd have to change large amounts of data, or change the way they categorize large amounts of data(I honestly don't know what goes into it), but it's Viacom. Money drives them, and if they make a buy-for-cash item of name change, especially so, if they made one for pets, and one for accounts, then with the HUGE amount of people unhappy with their pet/account names, and their unwillingness to get rid of them, they could make a ridiculous amount of money, and then that pesky problem would be solved. Albeit, at a price, but still, it'd be solved.

When I first started, I loved Kacheek so I named mine pet with Kacheek in it. But then I zapped it and now it's has been a Kacheek for about 5% of it's life.

If I ever stop zapping my pet (which is probably never) I wil morph into a halloween kacheek.

Just imagine that there's a space in a different place so it becomes Warka Cheek :p

Lots of people despise their pet's name! For instance, the first pet I had ever created was a Wocky (so cat-like), and I thought it would be clever to name her "Purcey", you know, after "Purrrrr", and "Purcey" from Harry Potter. That's fine and dandy, but I had to add a 7 to the end of it! So Purcey7, and I despise having to add numbers but it's the way it had to be. I wish I could alter it so it didn't have a number. The rest of their names are OK, I named my Zafara Zameary, (although she's female and the name sounds sort of masculine), and I adopted a Pteri called "FriePie", which I found fitting. On my newer account, I attempted to name my Female Gelert something unique; so "ChristelleFairy" ended up behing her name. It's not terrible, but she's Darigan so it sort of doesn't match.

A lot of my adopted Neopets have bad names....

Actually, TNT recently said something about changing names: in editorial 582. They are considering making it a paid service in the future. They say it's still hypothetical, but at least they are considering

My older pets have names with numbers and such. I don't really like it, but I won't put them in the pound because of their names. Nicer names are better, but bad names aren't really a big deal, I think.

I really don't see the problem here. Plenty of online communities allow one to change a name in exchange for a small fee. Like deadninja6 said, it would be instant money if they charged, say 5 dollars to change the name of your account or pet. In order to stop violations or other shenanigans, they could limit a name change to every 6 months or year for all I care. Or give every account a single opportunity to change their name.

I still have all of my originals and have only ever had one account, so yeah I've stuck with my old names. (Okay, I used to have an Uni, but it was technically my sister's and I don't remember its name. I replaced it with my Eyrie.) I remember naming my first one and they suggested putting numbers at the end of names, so I made sure the rest of my pets had the same numbers, except for one which was also my sister's but I really liked that Korbat so I kept it. I'm glad they're all consistent at least.

I don't ^^

Because I planned ahead what I wanted my pets to be, so I named them after my plans. Maybe with the new colors released afterwards, there's one pet which won't be as I planned (wanted a Robot pet, but now...)

Since I "restarted" my (serious?) playing some years back as a young(er) teen I'm so thankful I got off the "prettyprincess2912" train. x.o Now that kind of backfired and I'm a ridiculous name snob haha...names make or break a pet for me. :X I totally repainted and remorphed my faerie draik when I got the original name I wanted from the purge lol. To prevent instances like that from happening again I've learned to be extremeeeely picky with my pets' names. xD Now even if they're basic aishas or something I will love it just because of the name~

Fortunately for me, I never liked the idea of a name having numbers or underscores in it, not even all those years ago when I first made my account.

My Shoyru was named Pyrodrax because he's a little dragon, and because "Pyro" was (shockingly) already taken.

My Grundo was named Somsoc because, back then when the Grundos were new, they spoke their own "language", which was clearly just English spelled backwards, and I thought "Cosmos" was a good name for my new little alien friend.

TudPud...I named because it was simple and rhyming, and the onomatopoeia just seemed to fit the appearance of a Meerca (though circumstances have since changed him to a Kacheek and then again to a Mynci).

DeathJaw_2001 rather blatantly violates my usual aesthetic, but believe it or not he's not (technically) adopted, nor did his name come from a premade list. Shortly after I started playing Neopets, I got my brother to try it out, too, and he (purely by luck) got himself a Jetsam, a Red one I think, that he named "DeathJaw_2000". After playing for a bit, though, he decided he just wasn't terribly interested in the site and opted to leave. I hated the idea of his Jetsam just being left to rot, and I still had a slot open, so I talked him into attempting to give him to me. At the time, there was no option yet for direct user-to-user transfers, so the only way to do it was to put a pet up for adoption and hope the intended recipient could find and adopt them before anyone else did. Shockingly, with a limited edition pet like the Jetsam, we were not successful (in hindsight no surprise, especially since we were sharing a computer at the time). I tried to find the original DeathJaw, but when I did he was just starving away in some Under 13 account that hadn't been on in who knows how long. So, I got a Jetsam of my own, and named him in memoriam of a Jetsam I'm pretty sure no longer even exists.

That last one's a rather longwinded explanation, but for those reasons, I wouldn't have him named any other way (no matter how much better the name would look).

I really would like to be able to change my username, though. "bsboy" is just not what it was supposed to be. I've always enjoyed playing on my initials (full of BS? I am BS!), and the "boy" was just a then-accurate tag to avoid numbers and underscores. At the time, I hadn't realized how many people would assume I was referencing the Backstreet Boys...and now, some twelve years later, I'm still stuck with it. Sure, I could get a new account with a better name, and perhaps even transfer over all my pets and resources and such...but really? I'm not interested in shucking the account I've had for so long. At least half the reason I still play is the time I've already invested, and I rather like having access to pretty much everything that requires an account of such-and-such minimum age.

If only I could somehow adjust the name....

Fortunately for me, I never liked the idea of a name having numbers or underscores in it, not even all those years ago when I first made my account.

My Shoyru was named Pyrodrax because he's a little dragon, and because "Pyro" was (shockingly) already taken.

My Grundo was named Somsoc because, back then when the Grundos were new, they spoke their own "language", which was clearly just English spelled backwards, and I thought "Cosmos" was a good name for my new little alien friend.

TudPud...I named because it was simple and rhyming, and the onomatopoeia just seemed to fit the appearance of a Meerca (though circumstances have since changed him to a Kacheek and then again to a Mynci).

DeathJaw_2001 rather blatantly violates my usual aesthetic, but believe it or not he's not (technically) adopted, nor did his name come from a premade list. Shortly after I started playing Neopets, I got my brother to try it out, too, and he (purely by luck) got himself a Jetsam, a Red one I think, that he named "DeathJaw_2000". After playing for a bit, though, he decided he just wasn't terribly interested in the site and opted to leave. I hated the idea of his Jetsam just being left to rot, and I still had a slot open, so I talked him into attempting to give him to me. At the time, there was no option yet for direct user-to-user transfers, so the only way to do it was to put a pet up for adoption and hope the intended recipient could find and adopt them before anyone else did. Shockingly, with a limited edition pet like the Jetsam, we were not successful (in hindsight no surprise, especially since we were sharing a computer at the time). I tried to find the original DeathJaw, but when I did he was just starving away in some Under 13 account that hadn't been on in who knows how long. So, I got a Jetsam of my own, and named him in memoriam of a Jetsam I'm pretty sure no longer even exists.

That last one's a rather longwinded explanation, but for those reasons, I wouldn't have him named any other way (no matter how much better the name would look).

I really would like to be able to change my username, though. "bsboy" is just not what it was supposed to be. I've always enjoyed playing on my initials (full of BS? I am BS!), and the "boy" was just a then-accurate tag to avoid numbers and underscores. At the time, I hadn't realized how many people would assume I was referencing the Backstreet Boys...and now, some twelve years later, I'm still stuck with it. Sure, I could get a new account with a better name, and perhaps even transfer over all my pets and resources and such...but really? I'm not interested in shucking the account I've had for so long. At least half the reason I still play is the time I've already invested, and I rather like having access to pretty much everything that requires an account of such-and-such minimum age.

If only I could somehow adjust the name....

tl;dr

Just kidding, I read it all.

This is not my first account, but it's my ex's account. His name, Silverio DiGiovanni. Hance the account name. But my original account was "shakow_girl" and I would love to get it back. But have no way to get it back as it was made 13 years ago and I forget all information to get it back. Unless I visit the actual Neopets office and beg and cry.

My pets on this account are named great, in my opinion. My ex left Bloo_dust on here and I love her. She's gone from a beautiful cloud bori to a baby lupe. Which is quite what I like. Cute :3 I don't mind the name at all, it's still pretty cute in my opinion.

Draconiat ... She's a draik. Derp.

Keyvli - my pirate kougra. It's just an original name. IT's what I do. I RP too much.

Iljirene - A name from the Forgotten Realms series. One of the priestess I believe. (It's been a bit)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't necessarily hate my pets' names, but I'm not entirely happy with them—not because of how the names look or sound, but because they have an embarrassing history.

I got my first pets way back when I was starting to learn Japanese and didn’t know anything in the language except individual words. Most of my pets’ names are random Japanese nouns fused together (in a way that would not work in the actual language). So now, looking at my pets’ names and knowing that they are poorly translated... it’s like seeing a glaring typo every time. *cringe*

One of my pets has "Seychelle" randomly included as part of its name--taken from a country called the 'Seychelles' and used as the second half of my pet's name, in an effort to avoid using numbers.

In any case, if I were to rename my pets now, I would be much more careful with how I translated them.

I know I read a recent editorial stating that TNT might release pet renaming as a paid service. Yep, good luck with that.

I get the whole not liking your pets' name thing. My oldest pet is named rather strangely, because I created him when I was 14 :P But I mostly got over it because of sentimental reasons, and I figured I could just give him a nickname. He was all trained up/zapped, and read to when I returned to Neopets, and it seemed like such a waste to start over training a new pet with a name I liked, and I really was quite fond of my old pet! We all learn to love our pets eventually. I can't be a complete name snob.

The only one I kind of regret is FaithfulDarkness but at the same time it's a name that I had for a made up unicorn pet when I was small, so on joining neopets it was only natural that my uni was named that,

tdub1002 is in fairness an unsellable name but again it has ties to my past as it's one of my old favourite teachers emails and always makes me smile so personally I wouldn't swap it for the world.

TeaFaeries is a replacement for TeaAddict - a peophin I originally had and stupidly pounded yonks ago, only to seriously regret my decision and is a reference to my foster mother.Same with my lupe and my foster father.

On my side;

akcornBA again isn't a great 'pounding' name but was created just after I got my degree and is an amalgamation of my name and my degree.

Huggleby is a mickey take out of my vicar having once been referred to as Cuddleby rather than Cudby.

unboris is a reference to me and my ex having named our non-alcoholic beers boris, which soon became unboris.

And Shenistre is a trade Jetsam who has a lovely name but no personal references

Probably the only tradeable name is Shenistre...but that doesn't bother me, I loves them regardless and probably more because of the personal memories and references in each and every one.

The only pet I've ever pounded was TeaAddict and seriously regretted so they're all original - although those on my side are newer...

FaithfulDarkness and HarmBoer are nearly 10 years old now! Even tdub is 6 and a half...

I made my Jubjub, called: "X_Sniper_Master_X". Surprisingly I like it still. I had it on my old side account, and I brought him over. He is now accompanied by 3 other pets, which are LE and nicely painted, but he is still among my favorite. I named him something obnoxious on purpose, really just because. Now I still laugh when I think about it. So, I don't know that feeling.

I don't hate my pets' names, but I wouldn't mind a name-changing option.

Sparkles00111 was my first ever neopet and I will never get rid of her. If I get dorypea island, I'll just donate her to the pound XD I don't care for quiggles and she's my adopted labrat anyway. (she was originally a peophin) (and a girl... I keep forgetting that she's a man now)

I would like to change my username more than any of my pets' names, actually. I was like 13 when I made my Neo account and now it's just soo.... not as cool to have 666 at the end of everything... lol

Well, TNT said in the Editorial that there may be a paid service way of changing a pet's name, but it will be a very long time from now. So, if you can afford it, it'd be a way to change a pet's name. :) TNT have also said that they have been wanting the option to do this for ages.