Grammar does count

Mike.

Hey everyone,

We've been seeing more and more grammar issues on the forums. Rule 4 - Bullet 4 states that you must use FULL ENGLISH. This includes complete puncuation (inluding capital letters to start posts, and after full stops!) and using full words. I'm sure you can type those two extra letters for 'you' and not post 'u'. Also, as a reminder, do not use millions of exclamation points/question marks. It's makes your post look spammy and that is not what we are about here.

Please, this is not the neoboards (hence the previous announcement); you are expected to read this post and comply. If you don't you will be warned and eventually your posts will be put on Moderator Preview.

Thanks for reading,

TDN Staff

Guest Lightning Strike
What happens if by an accident we make 1 or 2 spelling or grammar errors?

Everyone makes mistakes, behold, I'm not staff, but I'm sure they can tolerate one or two errors. Just don't make a habit of repeating it. ;)

Vivi asked about that all ready, and it is aginst the rules. And I'd like to point out that I'm going to start cracking down on people who post asking what we're talknig about rather than reading. If you don't get it fine, but please read the topic first.

I totaly (i think i spelled that right) agree with you guys cracking down, but what about people who use LOL alot. I would like to know if that is okay once in a while because i see it alot. I love using chat speak but i know it is strictly forbidden

Things like LOL, ROLF, 1337, ect., are allowed, but posting things like "OMG!!1!11 i lyk, soooooo lv ur pet!11!1! cn i hv it???????" are not. (Sorry for the bad example. xD)

(Thats ok Anime were just humans)

Ok thanks anime. So thats what i meant by chatspeak.

What if we, like, miss a comma here or there, or really technical stuff? And, is it okay if I use the words "like" or "ya'll" a lot, because I tend to, lol.

Those are fine. It's the posts in all lowercase with tons of messy grammar that you have to read 2 or 3 times to get we;re really worried about, but the others will be watched too.

^I sure hope you wouldn't kill us for a few mistakes. LOL

here is an example of bad grammar that WOULD not be allowed. AND shouldn't be allowed:

OMG! I lyk soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo luv ur shirt. it is lyk sooooooooooooooooooooo totaly awesome. but i wish i had it. cn u giv it 2 me plz. plz. plz.wat da ya mean NO! u no wat i h8 u.
and so on. If i saw that i would like jump off a cliff.

*shudders* THANK YOU for enforcing this rule. I can't tell you how many times I've wished to correct someone else's post because of laziness, etc. :S

Dillon, that has got to be the most *Thinks of appropriate words* idiotic idea ever. There wouldn't be point to that board then. Unless you purposely made mistakes and spammed on that board, it would be useless. And why would a board be dedicated to spam? (The OFF Topic Board... I don't know what to say then)

Guest Lightning Strike
We should have a board were we correct people.

That's pointless. Grammer is something that we learn and should apply naturally, it's common courtesy; if learning how to read or write correctly is natural, so must you apply in online forums and such. Therefore, a board dedicated to this would be absurd, as you agree to follow TDN's rules the moment you register and start posting.

And this is something i read which shows Gammar is important.

2 Phrases, 1 will be with a comma, one without, but will have a huge different

Lets eat mom. (not very good grammar, unless you really are eating your mom:P)

Lets eat, Mom. (and this is telling your mom, that you will be eating some food

Great example!

I agree that bad grammar should not be tolerated too often, AND I also think that the four word rule should be extented to eight words. You could have people typing:

That's great! That's great!

When only one That's great is nessecary.