My first Purge! What did you catch?

Elorei

Hi guys! So, this last purge (starting with the T's) was my first purge EVER! :D Caught some REALLY cool names...

I caught:

♥ Lyrics

♥ Struggle

♥ Fraction

♥ Diamonds

♥ Sei

♥ Martinez

♥ ...another one I can't remember...

♥ And I caught Deadening in the pound!

What did YOU guys snag? c:

Oh and by the way, all of those pets are UFT! Most of them have to age first, but I am taking offers now. :) No OTB's yet, except for Sei - She has an OTB of a nice RN Grey Draik ^^

Can't wait to see your posts! :D

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Vyvren).

Please don't remove mod edits.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Oh really? I didn't even know it was a character name - just an awesome 3L. Woo hoo!!

Thank you! :D I don't remember when it started. I read www.neopets.com/~John (a tutorial about the purge) and then joined - they were at the T's when I jumped in. :/ I was really late.

Anyway, it ended either earlier today or yesterday. I missed other names I wanted :( But I was out camping on an island off the Gulf of Mexico, so I can't complain. ^^ haha

Ahh, haha. I still wouldn't be surprised if it's a character name. INSTANTLY, after catching her, I got a Neomail from some random perzson offering me that RN grey draik :| I was liiike... whoa. haha :D

Anyway, I agree - Sei is an AWESOME 3L :D Really proud of the catch.

I recently managed to snag "Souleater" by total coincidence. I was creating a new lab rat and was trying to find a cool name that wasn't taken. I could barely believe it when I saw that Souleater was available. Pretty soon after, I got a neomail from someone who had been stalking that name and would like to trade for it. Since the name doesn't have any particular significance to me, and because I didn't intend to keep it for myself (forgot what gender it is), I agreed to let her have it :)

That was REALLY nice of you! I'm sure she would have traded you something suuuuper nice for her :O

Yeah I'm sure Souleater becoming available was because of the purge.

no wait i'm sorry , it's a different word ... i just jumped the gun .. but still it's an awesome name :D

you should get good Trading offers for her ...

I really like Lyrics and Diamonds too

haha Thanks for your offer on Sei, anyway. XD Feel free to offer on Lyrics or Diamonds, too! :D Diamonds was my very first catch, I was sooo excited. ^^

So, at the risk of sounding like a total noob, what exactly is a purge?

Neopets has virtual robots that every once in a while goes through and deletes (or purges) frozen and inactive accounts on Neopets. When the accounts get deleted, the names of those inactive/frozen users' pets become available to create again.

So what people do is they decide which pet names they want, and make a note of what user has those pets. If the user was last online "A long, long time ago" according to their lookup, and they're a certain amount of months old, they will more than likely purge. So the bots normally delete those accounts in order, I belieeeve starting with A's... and ending with underscores. So once the purge starts, users track which usernames the bots are deleting, and they stalk the names and create them once that account purges and that pet name they want has been released. :) Then they create the pet, and if they're lucky - voila! The name is theirs. :D