Shop pricing mistake

lakecat

This is a bit long, but some players may appreciate what I'm about to say. I'm only an average game player at best, so instead I spend more time trying to find items I can resell. I snag things from the Thrift Shoppe and Money Tree, and I used to spend a lot of time at the Igloo Garage Sale and other such places where treasures await. I did very well, back when I used to spend a few hours a day at it. Now, it's just a few minutes at a time, but I still enjoy seeing if I can get lucky and grab something worth some extra NP. Several times over the years, while trying to estimate an item at the Wizard, I'll see something that is priced way too low, and then buy it cheaply. However, I always wonder if they actually meant to price it that low, or if it was their mistake. For example, several months ago I got something cheaply, then neomailed them, and it turns out, they did undercharge, and appreciated my willingness to give it back to them so they could resell it at a better price for them. We then became friends.

Today, this happened again. I had a few Pirate Cutlass in my shop, and was using the Wizard, and saw a Cutlass for only 1 NP so I bought it. Then, I immediately mailed the seller. Turns out, she did make a mistake. She wasn't too concerned about it, and even said I could keep it. However, I sent another neomail later, asking if we could be Neofriends, so I could give it back to her (haven't heard back yet). Here's where it gets ironic and funny. While transferring one of the Cutlass from my Shop to my Inventory, I accidentally set the price of each sword to only 1 NP--probably the same mistake she had made. Obviously, all 3 of them sold before I could fix the mistake. The ironic part is that, I paid nothing for them, and made nothing (well, 3 NP)--just wasted some picks for the day. I'll never miss the money (only 15,000), but no one likes to do something dumb. (It could have been a lot worse, something rare instead, that was under priced, so maybe it was worth the lesson.)

I don't expect any of the buyers to neomail me, asking if I made a mistake. However, it would be nice to know that there are some Neopians who care enough to at least ask if that was what I meant to charge. If they would do just that, I'd gladly let them keep the sword, and maybe I'd get something far more valuable. A new friend, and restored faith in people's honesty and sympathy for others. 0:)

Just recently I put a red codestone in my shop for 2k instead of 20k like I had wanted. I could have neomailed the person who bought it but honestly why bother. It was my mistake for not checking my price before submitting.

A while back when I didn't know much about the secret laboratory maps. If I got one from playing key quest I automatically just put it into my shop for 5k. Guaranteed most of the ones I put in there I priced way too low, but you know it's my mistake for not checking and looking into things first.

Not once did anyone neomail me after such a purchase.

I think it's a waste of time to worry about such things. If you make a mistake oh well, just pay better attention next time.

That is really nice of you! :)

I can relate to this as misprice always happen at this other site I'm at. And very often, it happens to big ticket items: 8 digits became 7 & so forth.

Some of the buyers who got lucky will block the sellers to prevent further communication. But what I really can't stand though are those who take screenshots & gloat about it. I mean fair enough, the seller was careless, the buyer got lucky but... there's no need for that :c

You're right, it's up to us sellers to be more attentive, and lesson learned. But it's true--it is better to give than to receive. When I saw the pleased reaction (well, "saw" the smileys :D) from the earlier time, it was worth it, knowing that I made her feel a little better that day. :) And thanks to all who replied, you made my day too.

That's very kind of you.

Personally, if it's a new user who just didn't look up the prices on the wizard, I lack pity. They'll learn eventually. Mistakes happen, but they're fair mistakes. I've purchased like that I believe just once, never Neomailed the user or anything. I guess I'm mean. xD

I've never thought about this before. It's never happened to me as I try to check when I'm constantly pricing things that I've written in the right amount of neopoints.. I will definitely remember this next time. :) Sorry to hear it happened to you - that's ironic indeed! Love reading nice things that restore my own faith! xD

Wow, that's really generous. I never thought about asking them if it's what they meant to charge. Like the others said, I've mispriced my share of items over the years and when I was but a wee newbie I priced nearly everything valuable without the shop wizard. Congrats to anyone who got my 1k lab map pieces back in the day :D

That's very kind of you.

Personally, if it's a new user who just didn't look up the prices on the wizard, I lack pity. They'll learn eventually. Mistakes happen, but they're fair mistakes. I've purchased like that I believe just once, never Neomailed the user or anything. I guess I'm mean. xD

I'm kind of the same way. I was stupid when I first started, and I thought that the 'estimated price' that is listed when you click on an item in your inventory is the price I should actually charge for it. Lots of people got really good deals off me before I realised what the Shop Wizard was for. -shrugs- I don't bother asking people if they made a mistake with the pricing of their items, just as I don't expect other people to ask it of me.

I made the mistake of mis-pricing items before ... maybe two or three times ... but the last time I remember it was about 10 codestones , 10 dubloons and a few Bottled Faeries ... I don't know what happened I was sleepy and thought I was taking them out of my shop (I wanted to save them for an upcoming plot) while I was actually pricing them (1 np , you can imagine) ... that was about 60k NP ... obviously no one neomailed me that I made a mistake ... but when I ccomplained about it on the neoboards a few nice people sent me codestones and dubloons ... restored some of my NP and faith in humanity :D

unfortunately this is what sniping is about xD i've never under priced anything before but i wouldn't really care unless it was a paintbrush or something :/. Lots of people take advantage of that, i guess because they think "its just a game" but you have no idea how mad I can get over games :P

Guest JussttBre

I bought a black pet pet paint brush for 200 np. Don't know if it was a mistake or if the person just didn't know the value. People misprice stuff all the time it's just unfortunate that it happened to you but look at the bright side, it made someones day?

There's another aspect to the whole "mistake" thing that maybe has been covered before: accidentally donating something. When I'm trying to grab something on the Tree or the Shoppe, I don't stop to write down every user name, who could? So, I'm sure we've all gotten lucky by taking advantage of someone else's tired eyes :sleeping_02: :yum: --and even accidentally let a few things go that way ourselves :guiltysmiley: :santa: . (BTW, I tried to Like every post in this thread, but it won't let me go over limit. :shiftyeyes_anim:)