Classic paper books - Time to retire?

The_Warblers

I think the downside to paperbacks is that simply the publishing industry is conservative down to the bone. Yeah, you've got erotic fiction, you have LGBT fiction but still big publishers won't take it and if you're a writer looking for an agent there's a bunch of guidelines to follow, which frankly can make your book very generic and in general LGBT isn't too welcome in society either. The market for paperbacks is dying therefor no one wants to be innovative or actually write life the way it is which isn't reall a cis heterosexual fest books convey most of the time. So that in the end results in people finding alternative ways and in the end writers were never really happy with the terms and conditions. So unless you kind of enjoy the classic utopia paperbacks offer now and always have, you're not really the target audience and thankfully the whole paperback myth which is just like the media is dying off, so yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

I get where you're coming from. I love reading things online because there's just such a huge variety

I think the downside to paperbacks is that simply the publishing industry is conservative down to the bone. Yeah, you've got erotic fiction, you have LGBT fiction but still big publishers won't take it and if you're a writer looking for an agent there's a bunch of guidelines to follow, which frankly can make your book very generic and in general LGBT isn't too welcome in society either. The market for paperbacks is dying therefor no one wants to be innovative or actually write life the way it is which isn't reall a cis heterosexual fest books convey most of the time. So that in the end results in people finding alternative ways and in the end writers were never really happy with the terms and conditions. So unless you kind of enjoy the classic utopia paperbacks offer now and always have, you're not really the target audience and thankfully the whole paperback myth which is just like the media is dying off, so yeah.

I get where you're coming from. I love reading stuff online because it's easy to find individual artists. There is definitely a prevalence in mainstream publishing for hetero-centricity, but I can think of a few great books that break that mould (can give recommendations if you like :P). I think that issue in particular is more a problem with society than specifically the publishing industry. Once we become more accepted, there will be better representation and through better representation, we are already becoming more accepted.

I'm an avid reader. I read both paperbacks and electronic. Don't have a kindle, but my brother does, and he's an avid reader. He reads on paperback as well, but he travels a lot for work, so he fills his kindle up with lots and lots of book, and in that situation, it's better to use a kindle.

I definitely don't think paperbacks should retire because:

1. The smell!? Even with old books, it smells amazing.

2. The sound of the crack when you open a new book.

3. Two words. Picture books. I think it's really weird to read one on electronic. The Hungry Caterpillar. If You Give o Mouse A Cookie. Can you imagine reading it on electronic? I know it's possible, but it's weird.

4. I love reading in bed, and accidentally dropping a book on my face doesn't hurt as much as dropping my ipad on my face. Unless you read a hardcover, but even then.

5. If I lose my book, it won't cost me so much to replace one, but I think I'd freak out nonetheless, even if it's only $7.

6. I like to annotate some of the books I read. Weird, I know. But it's so much easier to annotate on a paperback than on my ipad.

7. When I really like the paperback book, I splurge and buy the nice hardcover book, because the story is just that awesome.

8. Like a lot people say, books don't run out of batteries. I had a few blackouts one summer in my home. By then, my entire family was an Internet family. Meaning, most of the time we spent entertaining ourselves was on the Internet. You can imagine the panic that sat in when there was no electricity. With that said, I panicked for a bit, got over it, and plopped a book on my lap. Granted I needed a reading light, because it was night time, and said reading light has batteries, but it got me through the 2 hours just fine.

Of course I read online as well. I'd say I probably read just as much on my laptop, ipad, and phone as I do with paperbacks. I get a lot of varieties and I get to read stories that are usually not published.

I'm not saying hate on electronics for books, because I love it. But don't get rid of paperbacks. They're awesome.

An issue I have with electronic versions is the back light that is always required to read them. There are already so many screens we come into contact everyday, I don't like the idea of adding one more and having book reading add to damaging my eyesight.

However, there are kindles that do contain no back light and I would buy one of those if I ever went digital.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't find the appeal of e-books, because I am not capable of falling in love one. I can fall in love with my beautifully crafted hard back collection.

For me, there's just something more meaningful in holding a book in your hand. It's something I am able to really connect to, rather than just stare at. Besides the magic and the love I feel for holding it, it's just I don't like things like this being called 'useless.' Just because something is easier, more convenient, does not make the old thing better or obsolete. We're turning into a society where 'what's the point of going outside? You can just sit indoors and play on your tablet.' Books are the same for me. Plus it is actually very healthy to put down the electronics and do something that doesn't require batteries or a plug in on occasion. We're heading toward Wall-e land.

But not everyone has that special feeling. I wish everyone did, and people enjoyed actual books like I do, but it's just not reasonable to expect everyone to have that viewpoint. Still, I just don't ever want books or playing outside or talking to someone in person to be a thing of the past.

I only own paper books, I'm no Luddite, but I don't have any expensive portable electronics, I've got a mobile phone that's 10 years old and my laptop, and I like old books!

OLD. BOOK. SMELL.

One day I will have a home with a library! I could have one now if I had the money for stuff to fill it, my "dining room" has only ever been a room where junk accumulates. I could happily spend my time scouring secondhand book shops for lovely old hardbacks with faded cloth covers, I'd be in heaven! I'd read them too, can't stand it when people by old books purely for decoration.

But if someone gifted me with a Kindle or similar, and funds to fill it, I'd not complain, not sure how much I'd use it though. I get resentful about things that cost money to use now, but never used to. I don't class it as progress when something that used to work for free - a clock for example - now needs batteries to run. Same principle applies with books and e-readers, I think.

But you're unlikely to find me buying a new book, because the construction's so shoddy now, I like paperbacks, but the cover/spine tends to split the first time you read one now, because they're cutting build quality so much to try and keep hold of their profit margin.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy, but I've never even touched an e-reader. I drop everything, and if I dont drop it, my kids do. I've had an iphone for 3 years, and have gone through 3 otterboxes since I keep breaking them. I like the fact that crazy toddler feet can kick a book off the end table, and it's no worse for  wear. Worst case scenario I tape it back together. Would an e-reader even survive in our home?

Eh, I'm flexible. I'm a huge reader (and writer) and I have a massive collection on my electronic devices and my in-home book shelves are full too - heck, the books I read over and over again I have on my electronic devices and in print as well. Sometimes if it's really late and I can't sleep, it's easier to just pull out my electronics and read while in bed, and sometimes I just prefer to literally curl up with a hard copy and give my eyes a break from looking at screens all day.

Basically, different strokes for different folks and plenty of people still appreciate physical books so I think they are here to stay for a long time coming.

• 6 months later...

There's just something about physically holding a book in my hands that holding a tablet or ipad just don't do for me. I tend to get migraines from staring at screens all day, whereas I can read a paperback for 8 hours (not quite straight!) and my brain/eyes are fine. Also nothing can beat the smell of a brand new book, nor the sound as you crack it open for the first time!

That being said, I've noticed that more and more book shops are closing down in my city. It's easy enough to find the books I want on amazon or ebay, as the closest proper bookstore to me is a half hour drive away and half the time they don't have what I want, but it's clear that e-readers are slowly taking over. I doubt they'll stop making paperbacks anytime soon though. It is definitely not time for them to retire! I also love walking into a library and sitting among all those books reading, that is something I remember from my childhood.

I have an e-ink e-reader and two bookcases full of traditional books. I can't say that I use one type more over the other. I will say I find it easier to read longer works in physical copies because I have an easier time telling how much progress I'm making over the digital copies. I also like that if I forget something while reading a physical book I can just flip through until I find the passage I'm looking for. Digital books require either the foreknowledge to bookmark the passage ahead of time or a long slog going page by page or chapter by chapter if it has a contents section. I like having access to my library wherever I'm connected to wifi but I hate that everything is proprietary. Digital preservation is still an emerging field and as such our access to our digital books is very tenuous and determined by the company we purchase them from. If the system remains proprietary your entire library is gone should that company handling your library go under. 

I don't read books on my computer or whatever. Sometimes I read articles, because it is my only option, but as some have said, my eyes hurt after a while, and sometimes I get headaches too. But even if I did not get those, I would not choose reading with an electronic device, it's hard to explain, but it is just not me. I only see two downsides to using a book, having to carry them, I don't mind carrying a few books, and that it means destroying trees... But instead of changing books for e-books or whatever, I would prefer finding a way to make a book with other materials that don't involve destroying nature. Some people have said other downsides as not being able to read in the dark, why would I want to read in the dark?, or the lack of space, unfortunatelly for me I cannot afford to buy books often, so I do not have that problem. Also I like to read outside, and I don't want to have to worry about battery, and I like to read near trees, in a nature enviroment, technology kind of spoils that. On top of that, I like to read in bed before I go to sleep, with a book when I finish I just shut the book, put it away and switch off the light, but with an Nook (or whatever device) I would have to turn it off and stuff, also I don't like sleeping near electronic devices, so I would have to get up to put it away... In any case, I vote to find a way to make books with friendly materials, so people can choose, because if I had to choose between using electronic books or not reading books at all, I would sadly choose the second option... What is the point of reading a book if I'm not enjoying it? I would feel like school/high school reading... No, thanks...

I'm not sure why, but I prefer the real deal. I got a few e-textbooks for school and they drive me absolutely nuts. I feel like I can find things faster by flipping the pages, and I actually absorb more of the information when I am studying from paper than when I study electronic books or notes. I am only twenty seven, but I felt really old as most of the people in my class took notes on their laptops and tablets, and there I was with a pen and paper in hand!

As for casual reading (which I look forward to resuming once my program finishes in the spring!) I think part of the experience for me is feeling the pages between my fingers and smelling the glue in the binding...may sound strange but I could never give that up! 

I think there is something in the action of turning pages that keeps me intrigued. I've tried rereading books I love on electronic devices and I just find them so boring. There is no reason for it, since it's the same material, but I can't seem to get through them.

Same goes with textbooks. As the above mentioned, I think that out of the five classes I had that were forced e-textbooks, I only did well in one, because I couldn't get myself to stare at a screen for such a long time. Taking notes is really an inconvenience. Sure they have tools now, where you can highlight using your mouse, but it just never felt as interactive. There is a definite difference between the action of moving your hand to draw out letters and the action of your fingers simply hitting a button. The former is slightly more involved, in my opinion.

I read on both screens and books. I like both and am happy to read from both.

However, I do use them to read different things.

I read fanfiction and the like on screens, and books are... well books. xD

Like many have said, I like reading from books.

I like turning the pages, I like being able to see how many pages I've read, I love putting all my books into bookshelves.

I love the act of going to a bookstore or a library and picking out a book that looks good.

I love going on vacations and looking through my bookshelves to see which books I should pack.

And then slamming it on the counter when you're done reading it.

Can't really do that with electronics!

I love the act of going to a bookstore or a library and picking out a book that looks good.

THIS. So true. It's so much easier picking out a new book to read when you have the variety in front of you. Looking at pictures on a screen makes it difficult to understand what a book is really about. Plus, you can't open to a random page in the middle to see if you dig the style.

I think what it boil down to for me is that e-books are all about convenience, and while that's great, a book is about so much more than that. There's a whole world between those two covers, and that's what just doesn't translate to the electronic medium. The whole ritual of reading a book - the turning of the pages, the feel and smell of the paper, etc. - has so much more to it that just taking in words, but that's really all an e-reader can provide. In gaining that amazing ability to carry an entire library around with you, you've sacrificed a whole lot of what makes reading so enjoyable. It's a really 21st century trade off.

So for me while electronic books are a fantastic tool to have at your disposal, they'll never completely replace paper books, because owning actual books is a joy while a Kindle's just a bit of soulless plastic... I think a lot of people read a book first on their e-reader. and if they really like it they then buy the actual book to keep and re-read. That's the perfect use for e-books if you ask me.

THIS. So true. It's so much easier picking out a new book to read when you have the variety in front of you. Looking at pictures on a screen makes it difficult to understand what a book is really about. Plus, you can't open to a random page in the middle to see if you dig the style.

The writing style is huge for me.

I go into so many bookstores not planning on getting anything, but then I'll pick up a book, find I really like the style and buy it.

I know that brick and mortar stores hate that people use them as displays for electronic purchases but I go to the local Barnes & Noble and find books I want to buy on my ereader there. The thing is though I have their proprietary device so I have to purchase my books through their site to read them on my ereader so I don't feel guilty about it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love that this conversation is still going on so long after the original post was made - and I love the discussion because this is a topic that is close to me personally (book lover) and professionally (librarian).

If I had come across this thread when it was first created, I would have been 100% in favor of physical and 0% in favor of electronic. I've grown up around books, I've spent incredible amounts of time in libraries, and I just love the feel/weight/texture of a book. That said, at present, I'm more along the lines of 65% physical and 35% electronic.

E-readers are, as others have noted, incredibly convenient. I have a mini-library in my room, which means I have entirely too many books to carry around with me. Because of this, I use my e-reader (nook) largely for travel. I also like that with an e-reader, I can customize the font type and size. While most books use a typical font or font size, I know we've all come across at least one book that went against the norm and gave us a headache. I also have to admit that Barnes & Noble usually has a number of deals on e-books, and occasionally I use those deals to try out new books. If I completely fall in love with the book, then I go purchase a physical copy of it to add to my collection (I use the library I work at much the same way).

I could go on and on about this topic forever so I'll just say this: I enjoy both mediums for different reasons. There are pros and cons to both, and while I definitely favor print books, that doesn't mean that I dislike e-books.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely understand the feeling of holding a book and smelling the papers and flipping the pages. Its soothing and comforting. And sometimes I miss those paper books. 

But, ebooks are what I use all the time now. It saves a ton of space. Its better for the environment (and I'm a major tree hugger). Its extremely accessible to millions of books as long as you have the internet. It also a lot less expensive for me, because I borrow my ebooks from the library. Without a long drive and any fines.  I'm hooked.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would absolutely cry if paper books were done away with. With someone who has written short stories, novels, etc. I would love for something I wrote to be put into a real life, feel it, smell it, touch it paper book. Something about publishing an electronic book just doesn't feel right or have as much weight to me as having a hard copy in my hand.

Same goes for me as a reader. I love being able to turn the pages and just grab a book off my shelf and read it. I'm a huge manga reader and I much prefer reading it in my hand than online. Technology is not perfect, sometimes it doesn't load, the page glitches, it dies when it's not charged, it can glitch, the page could be blurry and sometimes it doesn't do exactly what you want it to do. A handheld doesn't shut down when you forget to "charge" it. Not that I don't like technology, I have a smart phone and a PC (Obviously), but to me I feel like books are a part of history. When people needed info back in the old days they went to scrolls or books, not google, kindle, or their smart phones. Does having an e-book make it convenient? I'm sure it does. However, I can say that when I did research for school and couldn't find the info online and had to look in a book, it was so much more satisfying, because I worked harder to do it. Publishing a book and formatting it to fit right on the pages and designing a book's cover is so much more satisfying than releasing an online downloadable file.

I do like technology, but I also believe it's made our world lazy (me not dis-included in this), there are some things I don't think should be replaced by machines and electronics, and books are definitely one of them.

• 1 month later...

I have read e-books and good old paper books, Everytime, I read an e-book (my library lends e-books with readers), I have returned them and asked for the paper copy.  I think for me, the hold, smell, feel and page turning lends to the reading experience on a level the e-books can't do for me.  May they never get rid of paper books, I love my collection and re-read them often.

• 10 months later...

I personally prefer the paper copy. The only time I use my Nook is when I am traveling, it is especially helpful on airplanes.