Classic paper books - Time to retire?

The_Warblers

I read a lot and even though I do see the advantages of using a Kindle or similar, I would never choose one over a hardback/paperback. For me, I think a story loses some of its magic when read electronically, it's just my opinion, but I find it harder to just disappear into the story I'm reading while reading it on a screen. (I actually have the same issue with audio books).

I also collect books; one day I will have an entire library (study room) covered wall to wall with bookshelves :D

I have a Kindle and I love it because it's so practical but I don't think it's the time to retire paper books. Kindles are great for some types of books but not others, for example I can't imagine trying to read a textbook on my kindle (trust me, I've tried). Adding notes, underlining, bookmarking pages is all possible but it's so much easier when you're using a paper book. As is finding specific pages.

Plus there's something charming about paper books.

I have absolutely no interest in electronic reading whatsoever. Digital versions to me are reminiscent of an article read on the internet; they have no value like a hard copy of a book does.

Also, I'm not saying this were to happen, but if ebooks were to overtake/erase all hard copies, it would be devastating. Think of all those delightful, obscure books that you find in libraries, thrift shops and book stores. They would cease to exist. And to me, that would be awful. There are some things that cannot be found online; very old books that are no longer being published, etcetera. There's a value to books and their different prints; limited editions, etcetera.

Also the ability to hold, and run your finger across the printed word is definitely underrated. Educationally, a hardcopy of a book offers a whole lot more to a child than an ebook ever will.

True, hardcopies may become more expensive to obtain (new, anyway; you can get use books for pennies!), but their appeal will never wear away.

(Also I don't know why, but this discussion makes me want to watch the film "The Book of Eli" again... such a good movie. :D )

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE reading classic paper books!

I love the feeling of them in my hands, the way I can physically flip back to pages of interest in the book, the unique smell of the paper on each one, and the resounding way I can slam one shut after I finish it. Reading them always brings me back to my childhood when I would sit in my backyard and read for hours.

That said, I do understand the greater convenience of e-books. I have several e-textbooks on my tablet, and they are WAY more convenient to carry around that way. I don't particularly like lugging around several hardcover textbooks that have over a thousand pages each.

So to conclude my rambling message, I think that there are benefits to each kind of book, but I really don't think the appeal of physical books will die anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

They smell good, and the yellowish paper is so nice on the eyes.

Flipping pages, of course.

Besides, there is absolutely no need to retire them. That would be like retiring candles after the advent of light bulbs :)

I think they'll maybe be getting printed less, or in smaller amounts, eventually. They may turn into a collector's thing, or a very fancy boutique thing made by indie creators.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer paper books over books on the kindle or anything else because i had read one book on the kindle before and it was a couple of thousand pages which took longer to read then if i had a actual copy of the book just imagine someone reading the last Harry Potter book on the kindle and it's more than a thousand pages long.

I really think that reading from an actual physical book is better. I used to read from paper books so I guess I got used to it. :/

All the new things like Kindles and eReaders are just fine, I just like the feeling of actually feeling the paper while I'm reading.

-Regular books do not depend on power.

-Regular books are usually acceptable for most settings and situations.

-Personally, I can't read off of a screen/computer screen for too long or it hurts my eyes.

-I'm afraid of bringing expensive electronics anywhere because they might break or someone might steal them. I'm also afraid of losing them.

-Paper book are easier to lend to friends.

-Most books can fit in my purses. If they can't then I can twist them to make them fit, as bad as that sounds. Kindles? Not really.

There are many books or stories that I have read online, not on an e-reader, but just in a pdf or something. I can see the benefits, but I just find actual books to be more convenient. Sometimes I write notes in books, and that may be possible with an e-reader but I'd rather just write, "wow, this book is terrible. Why would [yadda yadda yadda]," with pencil on the page.

I'm fine with e-readers, although I don't have one, but I don't think that it's time for paper books to retire.

I like both :) Sticking to paper books would be impractical for me (like others have said) due to the amount of space I would need, so the option to have ebooks on my kindle has been great! But I still enjoy and miss reading a book in it's paper form. There is something about the feel and smell of books that is so comforting and familiar :) When I pause from reading, I also like to look at the "chunk" I've just read and feel slightly proud :D Haha!

You also can't beat the prices of books in charity shops...

A well taken care of library has always been my dream. Beauty and the Beast inspired me to have a library like that growing up. However, for school, I could not carry around four or five 1-2 pound books, an e-reader really cuts down on the waste and cost of text books. I think they both have their points, it really depends on current use.

• 3 weeks later...

Classic Paper Books Advantages:

Doesn't need electricity

Easy to Turn the pages

Original

Classic Paper Books Disadvantages:

Water, Fire, etc.

Might get ripped

Easy to destroy

E-Reader Books Advantages:

Easier to see (in the dark)

Bookmarking is easier

E-Reader Books Disadvantages:

Needs constant Electricity

Memory Space (for some)

Needs internet to download the file

Not everyone has an E-Reader

Classic Books shouldn't retire at all or else the future generation will have large amount of problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think classic paper books should be retired either. There's just something so satisfying in holding a favorite book in your hands, or having a shelf of books that you can turn to when yearning for the comfort of an old friend :)

I know this is odd but I love the smell of books =P That being said I do want an e reader because you have easier access to a lot of differant books. I hope paper books never retire though.

I like the smell of books, too :) Well, maybe not musty one, since I'm allergic to must/mold, but having a physical book in my hands is so much more satisfying than holding my e-reader. I do love the convenience and ease of having a library at my fingertips that my e-reader provides, but I'm still a huge fan of classic book form. I guess I'm just a textile type person ;) Also, pop-up books...come on! E-readers just aren't the same, haha.

If I'm going to read, I'll read on paper. I hate reading e-books I'm sorry. They just tire my eyes and it feels so less "reading" like cus I'm staring at a screen.

The only time I would read online would be manga since it's so much more updated online and most of the time the series I like aren't serialized in English yet.

I agree with the post above me, too.

Also, I know a few people who are sensitive to the electromegnetic pulses that are emitted from various electronics, such as those emitted by WiFi, so eReaders would be awful for them... There's still a need for classic hard copy books. I also happen to like having the actual book in my hand (I know I've said it before, but it's still true, lol)

I get tired easily when I read online for too long :( Not only is the screen bright, but I have to charge whatever device I'm using constantly too. But I have to say it is great to be able to read some stories that I like for free online (translated manga and books which copyrights have expired) , since I don't have much money to buy books. Paper books are still the best though! I love the smell of all the ink and books in the library, and I love flipping the pages and hearing the crinkling sound ^^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For me nothing beats a physical copy! Several people I know have kindles or similar in classes like classics and literature where you need loads of books and would otherwise have to carry them, and I must admit that on some days when my back is aching I absolutely envy them. But I wouldn't feel the same if my bookcases weren't rammed with books and I wasn't able to have individual copies to hold. Perhaps it's just my sentimental nature that likes to have these token and memories around, but I don't think it'd be the same in the world without some real items to hold on to

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Kindle (I won it at work) and I've only downloaded two books on it, one I finished, and the rest I forget about. I don't think I've charged it in 6 months.

I read through the responses in this thread, and as a book lover I admit I have a bias towards books. Kindles may be great for the reasons listed (environmentally friendly, lighter, easier to use) but there's absolutely nothing like a paper book. Especially a new one. A Kindle doesn't have that intoxicating new book scent that I enjoy breathing in, a spine that can be cracked as much as I like, or pages to turn through. The act of holding and reading a book is so deeply ritualistic for me that I can't ever replicate it with cold plastic and glass, and for that...and for many book lovers...I don't think paper books can ever go away. People like us will keep buying them.

E-readers do make it easier for unknown and self-published authors to be shared, and if you want to read something naughty and don't want the world to know you are reading it an e-reader also helps with that. But books...come on. You can't top holding and reading a good book.

And besides, there's something so satisfying about holding a huge book like the Song of Ice and Fire novels and taking your time reading it. I can't get lost in a Kindle the same way.

I have a Nook, and I love it. It's nicer to carry around the 1700 pages of Sherlock Holmes in a device than in a heavy book.

However, I bought a new book a week ago, and it felt so nice to have a new paperback book in my hands.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I'll continue to use both.