The_Warblers

Classic paper books - Time to retire?

130 posts in this topic

Coming from a home that treasures books, my dad has filled the downstairs with 5 bookcases of 90% books in Arabic (while my sisters and I can read Arabic, somewhat, but we do not have enough vocabulary to read these important religious texts) and my mom has flooded the upstairs with bookcases & milk-crate book nooks with teaching & "classic" type books, I think it's safe to say that books are a staple to my family that we all will carry with us wherever we end up. Like Musical_Shoyruflpatsfan, and PaintBrushedDreams, I find a Kindle helpful & technology helps (I'd rather call up evidence/ a file on a laptop then have to plow through index cards in a 'file box' for Debate like my mom told me they did in the 80's), but I will always want to have a book to read and re-read. 

Do you guys feel the sale of books might start to increase again now, now that the shiny has worn off the ebook technology? Much like vinyl record sales are increasing and downloads diminishing?

I've just re-read my 2 posts on the previous page and I still hold by what I said then, 100%. If I won a load of money (and there's a chance I might do, I have premium bonds which MIGHT net me a million one day! But more likely just another £25 every now and again. >_<) I'd still get my junk-filled dining room turned into a library. <3

4 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Do you guys feel the sale of books might start to increase again now, now that the shiny has worn off the ebook technology? Much like vinyl record sales are increasing and downloads diminishing?

You got it on the nose! I work for Indigo Books & Music up in Canada so not only do I absolutely love reading but I also take a large fascination in how the company is doing. Ebooks sales have indeed decreased within the last year and paper sales have gone up, continuing the trend that colouring books booted two/three years ago. I think paper sales are going to continue to grow in the next couple of years for a few reasons. One being almost every movie trailer I see is based on a novel and that definitely gets a lot of people interested. Another is that a lot of youtubers, comedians, and other multi-media stars are writing biographies/humour books/teen entertainment books  and etc which bring in more people that wouldn't typically pick up a book. I'm not too sure how 5 years down the road will look like, though I'm really curious, but I don't think paper books will ever become obsolete. 

jellysundae likes this

I'm just grateful for the upswing at the moment. I'm positively thrilled that younger people aren't totally shunning books, and there's totally room for both paper and ebooks to exist side-by-side and both make a profit.

Another area where the internet is spawning books is food bloggers bringing out recipe books, there's LOADS of those coming out!

I love the smell and the texture of paper books. I have memories tied to particular book smells. And, I can't really explain why, but I just generally get more captivated by a paper book. If I'm looking to clear my head and get away from things, a paper book is the way to go. But, as far a the e-books, I love being able to travel with all my favorites. It's convenient for sure.