Your thoughts on legalizing marijuana?

~Xandria

Marijuana Legalization  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the U.S legalize marijuana?

I think the US should legalize marijuana so they can make tax money off of it. After all some people use marijuana when it's not legal. Also it cuts back on the people in jail for having it making more space in jails so they won't be so overcrowded and as expensive to run.The only thing is though if they legalize it they should make sure anyone who buys it has the proper identification and things like that Also if they did their should be certain places where you can and cannot smoke such as you cannot smoke in restaurants or somewhere that has a lot of people. It should be fine as long as the goverment does it's job of making sure people are aware of the side effects of smoking it. Also as long as the people know the side effects and such then it should be legalized so maybe the economy might actually get better for who knows how long.

Passiflora: Hemp actually is illegal to grow in most states. Most (99+%) of the hemp available today such as hemp seeds (yum and super healthy) and fiber (for clothing, bags, etc) is from Canada. A handful of states are able to grow hemp legally (including my state of Vermont) but there are no large scale operations currently. Eventually it will take over much of the south as a replacement for the immensely pesticide dependent cotton crop, but currently we have to import it all for insane reasons.

Hemp was also not made illegal due to plastics or even the wood/paper industry but Family Guy did a great episode on this even if not quite accurate. Marijuana criminalization like most "drugs" in the 18 and 1900's was the brain child of old fashion racism. Opium was another. Such an interesting and hateful history we have here in the U.S.

Also, medically, marijuana is hardly limited to small sections of the population. Aside from schizophrenia, a significant number of disorders (and majority of people in the states) can benefit from it. This includes the low THC strains of mj which greatly benefit seizure disorders. Anxiety being one of the most widespread and destructive to "normal" people and everyday life, is hugely reduced by use at onset.

First, let me admit that I have skimmed over half of the posts because I really have to be somewhere else in a few minutes. :rolleyes_anim:

I'm in Canada, so though this is a US-aimed question, I voted anyway. We're not the same as the US, but I'd like to see it legalized everywhere in the world, for most of the reasons that the pro side has already mentioned. I understand and sympathize with all of those who are against it for various reasons, especially those who don't want it (or regular cigarettes, cigars, etc.) anywhere near them. I really do feel for you and would wish for people to be far more understanding of other peoples' space.

Now, here comes the lecture: there is solid evidence that well grown marijuana (not that watered down junk that the governments are allowing for medicinal purposes) can make life bearable for people who need it. I'm not talking about the potheads who are doing it for recreational reasons. I'm talking about people with things like scoliosis, cancer, chronic pain, anxiety disorder, severe depression, etc., who can't take anything else. The reasons could be anything from allergic reactions (to conventional medications) to the simple fact that nothing actually works on them anymore from overusage. I happen to be in three of the above catagories. I suffer from chronic back pain as well as a chemical imbalance that leads to severe depression, anxiety disorder (severe panic attacks) and OCD. There is nothing that works. Absolutely nothing. There is a chance that marijuana might help, but because it's illegal, I can't even try it to find out. (Our greedy government up here has decreed that the price will be going up about 300 percent and that the number of legal growers will be severely restricted, making it virtually impossible to get without breaking the law... which I refuse to do.)

I fully and completely agree that it and every other drug out there should be legalized, controlled and taxed. It will take the drug lords out of the picture and stop a great deal of the drug wars. The reason why our illustrious leaders in world governments have not already done this is because many of them have been bought by the cartels in order to keep illicit drugs from being legalized. That way, the cartels can keep prices high and they can keep getting filthy rich. I have no proof of this, obviously. It's the only explanation that makes sense, when there is really no other reason to keep marijuana illegal.

We all have laws to keep tobacco and alcohol "safe" and out of the hands of minors. It's not like that's working. They get it somehow anyway. Same thing with marijuana. Might as well make sure it's the real thing and safer than what they might actually get from some dealer on the street.

Lastly, does anyone remember the lesson the US learned from prohibition? It's how the mob got started in Chicago and New York. Making alcohol illegal didn't work, it merely made a lot of very bad people filthy rich. It got a lot of innocent people killed in the wars between the gangs. Sound familiar? Keeping things like marijuana illegal won't work any better than prohibition in the US worked for alcohol. It might as well be made into a source of revenue for the government instead of the other crooks out there. That way, the money made from the taxes can go into medicines, schools, education, etc. It might as well do some good since you can't stop it anyway.

My two cents. (Ooops. Sorry. Not in Canada. Our idiot government got rid of the penny. It has to be a nickel now.) :)

Do you have any sources for this? Wikipedia seems to suggest that cannabis was made illegal because drug regulation in general was starting to become trendy (including medications, not just recreational drugs). It also sounds like hemp production was starting to slow down before the really restrictive regulations (related to the plastics conspiracy you mention) were even introduced.

Hemp was also not made illegal due to plastics or even the wood/paper industry but Family Guy did a great episode on this even if not quite accurate. Marijuana criminalization like most "drugs" in the 18 and 1900's was the brain child of old fashion racism. Opium was another. Such an interesting and hateful history we have here in the U.S.

Yeah I actually have quite a few sources.

It started with the Division of Narcotics being established in the treasury and the man who was in charge of running it wanted to make more of a splash for his name and knew that just attacking cocaine and opiates were not enough. That with DuPont and other plastics company supporting the legislation, using marijuanna instead of cannibas, and supposedly paying off politicians (I have only seen speculation on that) it passed in the senate. In the house it was debated for 30 seconds (aka not debated) and passed because of a lie. Sorry for the late response I kind of forgot to check this.

So I guess my first post was on one side. What I just typed was the other side.

It all works together.

Passiflora: Hemp actually is illegal to grow in most states. Most (99+%) of the hemp available today such as hemp seeds (yum and super healthy) and fiber (for clothing, bags, etc) is from Canada. A handful of states are able to grow hemp legally (including my state of Vermont) but there are no large scale operations currently. Eventually it will take over much of the south as a replacement for the immensely pesticide dependent cotton crop, but currently we have to import it all for insane reasons.

That's interesting, I actually didn't know that! I'm from Canada and even here, I think there are quite a few loopholes to jump through in order to grow hemp. I think hemp is a great product and that production could be expanded, but I don't think it's a very strong argument for legalization of marijuana.

Also, medically, marijuana is hardly limited to small sections of the population. Aside from schizophrenia, a significant number of disorders (and majority of people in the states) can benefit from it. This includes the low THC strains of mj which greatly benefit seizure disorders. Anxiety being one of the most widespread and destructive to "normal" people and everyday life, is hugely reduced by use at onset.

The link between cannabis and schizophrenia is controversial and I've never heard of it being used to treat schizophrenia. Anxiety is also a common side effect of marijuana so I think we'd need a lot more research before we started approving it for that purpose.

well grown marijuana (not that watered down junk that the governments are allowing for medicinal purposes)

A common argument for legalization seems to be that government control would actually improve the quality of the products available. How do we know that the stuff government are allowing for medicinal purposes is "watered down"?

Yeah I actually have quite a few sources.

It started with the Division of Narcotics being established in the treasury and the man who was in charge of running it wanted to make more of a splash for his name and knew that just attacking cocaine and opiates were not enough. That with DuPont and other plastics company supporting the legislation, using marijuanna instead of cannibas, and supposedly paying off politicians (I have only seen speculation on that) it passed in the senate. In the house it was debated for 30 seconds (aka not debated) and passed because of a lie. Sorry for the late response I kind of forgot to check this.

So I guess my first post was on one side. What I just typed was the other side.

It all works together.

Okay, but where are your sources? :p FYI, I looked it up myself and I understand the story, but there are also stories that refute it and I couldn't find anything reputable.

I am completely for it. I have soo many reasons why, but I'm going to make this simple. I have very severe Crohn's disease. so much so, that I've had to take this entire year off from college. It's extremely painful and debilitating. I've tried so many medications it's incredible. However the only treatment that I haven't looked into is Marajuana because it's not (quite) legal in my state yet. I have horrible anxiety...which they said set off my Crohns in the first place since it's a genetic and I don't have a single person in my family history with it, nor do I smoke tobacco. I'm taking an anti-anxiety medication, anti-depressants, anti-nausea, sleep inducers, you name it! And they're horrible with HORRIBLE side effects. I'm not even including my monthly immune suppressant infusions and high dosses of steroids (really really terrible stuff) If I could just limit ANY of those medications in exchange for medical marijuana I would in a heartbeat.

I've read study after study about the effectiveness of medical marijuana when treating Crohns. In fact I heard it's one of the most effective drugs in the treatment. I could list many other arguments in support of this matter, but the legalization of medical marijuana for the treatment of Crohn's is very personal to me. BUT living in NY, where marijuana was said to be in use for medical purposes soon, I'm very pleased. If it's anything like the New Jersey laws (which I feel it might reflect) Crohn's disease is one of the few ailments that is allowed prescription cannabis. :happydance: not only does it help with anxiety, but also the pain and appetite :)

I'm not saying marijuana doesn't have side effects. But try taking a certain prescription anti-anxiety medication 3 times a day. yikes O.O

• 2 months later...

I have pretty bad anxiety and have been on so many different medications for it. Most of these medication would harm my liver if I continue to take them for the rest of my life. Then I was introduced to the love of my life, Mary Jane. She held my hand and said "We gon' get through this" and she is my best friend

--

Joking aside, I recognize that marijuana smoke contains tar and carbon monoxide, which is why I very rarely smoke. However I make treats containing THC on a bi-weekly basis and I have 2 a day. They do not contain enough THC to inhibit my work or driving.

I think everyone should have a little bit of THC every now and again.

My rules are

-no smoking or being high around children or guests

-do not get couch-melting high in case of an emergency

-only do it in my own home

I cannot stand when people smoke in public, it's a major pet peeve of mine

I went to Santa Monica Pier with my little brother not too long and someone was smoking weed right next to us while we were building a sand castle. No one should be forced to smell your habit.

I think it should be legalized for people with medical issues. Like you need a prescription from a doctor and they're only sold in pharmacy's where they are kept in a safe place. It should be illegal to smoke in public, though. There are kids in public and smoking marijuana will only teach them that it's good for you. Only a few years ago was my cousin telling me how bad marijuana is and you could get arrested for having it, now a lot of young, healthy, people are doing it. My mom works in a hospital and she says that they're are so many teenagers who's kidneys and other vital organs are failing because they took marijuana or other kinds of drugs.

Marijuana causes no longer term effects on organs. Smoking it does cause some damage to the lungs but they aren't sure how much. Young healthy people would not have severe lung damage from smoking it. Other drugs, yes, marijuana, no. Your mother is most likely trying to scare you away from illegal substances, which I don't really blame her.

I'm not really sure why smoking (pot) is more egregious than smoking tobacco (around other people.) Unless you're in a tightly confined area or there are a hundred people smoking joints and blowing it at you, you're not going to get the hysterically overblown "contact-high" that everyone complains about.

It's much more offensive to me, to have tobacco smoke blown your direction or even have to smell drunk people (at a concert or game.) This country is starting to lighten up, which I am very (cautiously) optimistic about.

I also am horrendously aggravated by people who don't smoke/use mj and especially at pro-mj movements that want medical mj either as a first step, or as an only. This thinking makes no sense and only hinders those who would benefit from it and also keeps the stigma.

I am planning on moving very close to a state which has legalized mj and currently live in two states, one that does not even have a medical option and has a (fairly restrictive) medical option but has also decriminalized up to an ounce.

You need to be responsible, end of story. Nothing is completely innocuous, but mj extremely safe when used properly and when compared to the loads of terrible crippling alternative (of which I have tried literally dozens and are responsible for the loss of a decade of my life, I'm only 28 now.)

I also rarely drink (the mixing of mj and alcohol isn't something I enjoy) and have never done actual drugs so myths dispelled right there.

I'm not really sure why smoking (pot) is more egregious than smoking tobacco (around other people.) Unless you're in a tightly confined area or there are a hundred people smoking joints and blowing it at you, you're not going to get the hysterically overblown "contact-high" that everyone complains about.

It's much more offensive to me, to have tobacco smoke blown your direction or even have to smell drunk people (at a concert or game.) This country is starting to lighten up, which I am very (cautiously) optimistic about.

I also am horrendously aggravated by people who don't smoke/use mj and especially at pro-mj movements that want medical mj either as a first step, or as an only. This thinking makes no sense and only hinders those who would benefit from it and also keeps the stigma.

I am planning on moving very close to a state which has legalized mj and currently live in two states, one that does not even have a medical option and has a (fairly restrictive) medical option but has also decriminalized up to an ounce.

You need to be responsible, end of story. Nothing is completely innocuous, but mj extremely safe when used properly and when compared to the loads of terrible crippling alternative (of which I have tried literally dozens and are responsible for the loss of a decade of my life, I'm only 28 now.)

I also rarely drink (the mixing of mj and alcohol isn't something I enjoy) and have never done actual drugs so myths dispelled right there.

I just find the smells offensive, mostly. It's extremely unlikely that you'd get high off of secondhand weed smoke unless you're in a confined area with no ventilation (like a car with the windows rolled up)

I am completely for it. I have soo many reasons why, but I'm going to make this simple. I have very severe Crohn's disease. so much so, that I've had to take this entire year off from college. It's extremely painful and debilitating. I've tried so many medications it's incredible. However the only treatment that I haven't looked into is Marajuana because it's not (quite) legal in my state yet. I have horrible anxiety...which they said set off my Crohns in the first place since it's a genetic and I don't have a single person in my family history with it, nor do I smoke tobacco. I'm taking an anti-anxiety medication, anti-depressants, anti-nausea, sleep inducers, you name it! And they're horrible with HORRIBLE side effects. I'm not even including my monthly immune suppressant infusions and high dosses of steroids (really really terrible stuff) If I could just limit ANY of those medications in exchange for medical marijuana I would in a heartbeat.

I've read study after study about the effectiveness of medical marijuana when treating Crohns. In fact I heard it's one of the most effective drugs in the treatment. I could list many other arguments in support of this matter, but the legalization of medical marijuana for the treatment of Crohn's is very personal to me. BUT living in NY, where marijuana was said to be in use for medical purposes soon, I'm very pleased. If it's anything like the New Jersey laws (which I feel it might reflect) Crohn's disease is one of the few ailments that is allowed prescription cannabis. :happydance: not only does it help with anxiety, but also the pain and appetite :)

I'm not saying marijuana doesn't have side effects. But try taking a certain prescription anti-anxiety medication 3 times a day. yikes O.O

Bless your heart! I feel you with the anxiety - it's so awful and a lot of people think you're just overreacting. But it's a real and sometimes scary thing! I used to take klonopin for mine 2 mg 3x a day... it helped calm me down for sure but that is a LOT of klonopin. I would sleep for 3 days if I took that now! I have bad acid reflux too, it's not NEAR as bad as Crohn's, but it still sucks.

Have you tried exercising and cutting out irritating foods (caffein/gluten/dairy/etc.)? That has helped me a lot.

My thoughts about this always begin with: Legalize marijuana or forbid alcohol.

Forbidding alcohol won't happen so logically I'd support a legalization of marijuana.

But then I ask myself: Why legalize marijuana only because alcohol consumption is legal?

I can't give a wise answer to that so in the end I'm against legalizing marijuana.

Forbid it for as long as possible. Once legalized it will remain legalized, no matter what a legalization may cause.

I was reading through the responses on this thread, and I saw one thing that was brought up quite a bit:

"Not having to jail people for marijuana will save the government money."

In most states, this is true, and it's a great reason for decriminalization or legalization. Unfortunately, it's not true in states with for-profit prison systems--systems in which prisoners are forced to work full-time. These states have an incentive to fight any efforts to legalize marijuana, because that will take away their slaves. I have little to no sympathy for violent criminals forced into slavery by this system (although the exploitation is really messed up the way the system does things) but it's ridiculous to be sentenced to years of hard labor because you smoked a little pot.

So these states will not have the government save money if it's legalized. But shedding light on this gives another really good reason why it SHOULD be.

Bless your heart! I feel you with the anxiety - it's so awful and a lot of people think you're just overreacting. But it's a real and sometimes scary thing! I used to take klonopin for mine 2 mg 3x a day... it helped calm me down for sure but that is a LOT of klonopin. I would sleep for 3 days if I took that now! I have bad acid reflux too, it's not NEAR as bad as Crohn's, but it still sucks.

Have you tried exercising and cutting out irritating foods (caffein/gluten/dairy/etc.)? That has helped me a lot.

Anxiety or depression or any mental illness for that matter is so hard to deal with. I'm sorry for what you've gone through :( When others can't see physical symptoms they're quick to judge. I'm trying to switch anxiety medications so I'll have to look into maybe I'll look into klonopin. I'm on alprazolam 10mg 3x a day. Bleh, they're all so terrible haha. Acid reflux is nooo fun either D: oh gosh, I'm lucky in that department. I rarely get it it, but on the occasion I do it's really unpleasant :/ I was actually diagnosed with celiac's disease about 4 years ago also so I've been completely gluten free since then. Plus I cut the lactose and shellfish and all that jazz. I do find it helps :) less stomach aches!

GUYS! Did you know that the medical marijuana bill (the compassionate care act) passed in NY just a few weeks ago? :)

There's a lot of debate over the bill including the laws not allowing the canabis to be smoked and the 13 month waiting period. The medical conditions covered are also causing some stir. Thankfully it HAS been approved for Crohns and IBS. Hopefully later on the bill will become less strict as right now it's basically like not even having it at all. Getting access to the medication will be difficult

• 3 weeks later...

My opinions on this matter are very biased. I was brought up by hippies, my mom and dad weren't even married or in love, they were best-friends who hadn't found 'the one' but wanted children, so they had three kids together. Some people think my home life was dysfunctional but my parents never fought, had separate bedrooms, and we generally had a fantastic childhood. I was unschooled until I asked to go to a traditional high-school to experience what it was like, when I took my tests to place in my high-school at 15 I could have been a senior but I chose to stay with my age group. Most of my life was spent traveling in a RV. We had a home in San Francisco but being unschooled my parents felt it was important for us to get a hands on learning experience in the world, we traveled the U.S. several times, we spent three years traveling in Europe, two years in South America and 7 months in Australia. We made money in two very unconventional ways, we made soap and my father sold marijuana we would grow.

I grew up with marijuana, I was taught to treat all of mother nature with a cautious respect, you abuse and disrespect earth and she will bite you back. Now before I continue with what I have to say next some people (unfamiliar with marijuana or natural medicine) would consider this next part to be child abuse or endangerment and before you say anything negative about my parents reactions and solutions please check them at the door and keep those opinions to yourself.

When I turned 8 years old it was discovered that I had severe scoliosis, so bad that I had nerve damage all along my spine that would only get worse as I grew. Nerve damage can have a number of effects the most common being numbing or pain. I had the latter. By the time I was 11 and when I stopped growing due to my scoliosis (4'10 and what!?") I was in so much chronic pain that existing was so painful I would vomit and pass out from pain multiple times a day. My parents tried every natural remedy they felt safe with and gave up after a short while and took me to a doctor. This was the one and only time I ever heard my parents argue. At the tender age of 11 I was getting prescribed narcotics for my pain. My parents fought at the doctors office over whether or not my prescription for morphine was safe. It is commonly given to child cancer patients with severe pain. Obviously the dosage was small but here were parents being forced to decide whether or not relieving my pain was worth pumping me full of chemicals and opioids.

That night my mom made me ganja tea for the first time, and for the first time since I could remember it wasn't miserable to exist, sure the pain wasn't eliminated but it was subsided, I was no longer continually nauseous and could spend a day being active and having fun without passing out from pain or being bedridden.

Marijuana isn't always the answer and although I no longer eat/drink/or smoke marijuana it was the stepping stone to help me learn to live and function with my body, I have seen it help many and I have seen it lead many down a dark path. A path I believe would have a lot more lights if it was legal and readily available.

Those that have fallen into dangerous drugs usually start with marijuana and friends I used to know who have gone down that road have one thing in common, the same dealers that sold them marijuana led them to the harder drugs.

My husband smokes still and although it isn't aloud in the house or around the children I will never hide his use because marijuana shouldn't be looked at as evil, it should be treated with respect and not abused or made into a villain.

Anxiety or depression or any mental illness for that matter is so hard to deal with. I'm sorry for what you've gone through :( When others can't see physical symptoms they're quick to judge. I'm trying to switch anxiety medications so I'll have to look into maybe I'll look into klonopin. I'm on alprazolam 10mg 3x a day. Bleh, they're all so terrible haha. Acid reflux is nooo fun either D: oh gosh, I'm lucky in that department. I rarely get it it, but on the occasion I do it's really unpleasant :/ I was actually diagnosed with celiac's disease about 4 years ago also so I've been completely gluten free since then. Plus I cut the lactose and shellfish and all that jazz. I do find it helps :) less stomach aches!

GUYS! Did you know that the medical marijuana bill (the compassionate care act) passed in NY just a few weeks ago? :)

There's a lot of debate over the bill including the laws not allowing the canabis to be smoked and the 13 month waiting period. The medical conditions covered are also causing some stir. Thankfully it HAS been approved for Crohns and IBS. Hopefully later on the bill will become less strict as right now it's basically like not even having it at all. Getting access to the medication will be difficult

It's sad how a lot of people don't believe in mental illness, or think it's not as tough to deal with as it is.

I struggle with manic depression and severe anxiety, and it's pretty debilitating.

I am totally down with 'controlled' legalization (like the way alcohol is controlled).

It always amuses me when someone goes off about how "but it is a GATEWAY DRUG!!!" and due to that, legalizing it will turn millions into crack addicts. /facepalm

The reality is...if alcohol were illegal...IT would be a 'gateway drug'. If cigarettes were illegal...THEY would be a 'gateway drug'. Heck, if sugary treats were illegal ...THEY would be 'gateway drugs'.

This is because in order to obtain an illegal substance, one must rub elbows with the 'underbelly' of 'proper' society. Once you are dealing in an illegal substance...NO MATTER THE SUBSTANCE...you will encounter other illegal substances.

For example...if you buy your weed from a drug dealer...eventually he will either HAVE or know where to get SOMETHING ELSE (usually 'harder') to sell ya.

However, if you are buying your "Marlboro Greens" from the 7-11 up the street...the dude behind the counter is not gonna offer you a gram of blow to go with it.

There is no logical reason, AT ALL, to keep it illegal. It is the stupid Prohibition law of our times (and it has lasted WAY too long).

Just sayin'...

:P