why do so many people collect avatars?

moldybread

Reading this, it's funny to think that avatars, compared to some other neopian things, are relatively newish. If my account were ever frozen, avvies would feel like the worst/most irreplaceable part to lose...!

I personally think they are overrated (everybody's gonna kill me for saying that), so I wonder the exact same thing. Hopefully this board will shine some light on as to why they are OMG SERIOUS BUSINESS GOTTA CATCH EM ALL.

What is disappointing though is that it seems people ONLY play games or take their pets to kelp or spin the daily Wheels for the avatars and nothing else. I got the TDBMGPOP avatar before, and I still go back there to visit him, hoping he'll award NP or feed my active.

I personally think they are overrated (everybody's gonna kill me for saying that), so I wonder the exact same thing. Hopefully this board will shine some light on as to why they are OMG SERIOUS BUSINESS GOTTA CATCH EM ALL.

What is disappointing though is that it seems people ONLY play games or take their pets to kelp or spin the daily Wheels for the avatars and nothing else. I got the TDBMGPOP avatar before, and I still go back there to visit him, hoping he'll award NP or feed my active.

There are lots of dailies I still do even though I have the avatar- like the TDBMGPOP, but there are lots of other things on Neo I would never have touched if not for the avatar- Wheel of Knowledge, Kelp (I'm still missing this avatar, millions later! >.<), etc. Many parts of Neo are there as NP pits, so TNT can help regulate the economy. Kelp, the Lever of Doom, the Wheel of Extortion, etc are all there just to take a tonne of NP out of circulation. People's drives to get avatars help.

People like to have goals, and collecting avatars is no different from collecting stamps, trading cards, items for a gallery, or anything else. -shrugs- It's a challenge, and some people enjoy it. It's totally fine that you don't, but you shouldn't be so dismissive of things that other people enjoy doing. :/ The best thing about Neo is that there are so many things for people to try, and that there are things for everyone- no one will enjoy every aspect, and they don't have to.

I'll be completely honest here and say that I did not care about avatars at all... until I joined these forums. Peer pressure. :P

What's the point in casually going for em?!

In the wise words of ... that guy that made that pokemon slogan.

'Gotta catch em all!'

Haha, this pretty much. xD

Some people also aim for the avatar collector trophy.

At times there's a preassumption that a player who has a lot of avatars is kind of 'elite',

so people sometimes collect them to show they're trust-worthy or committed players (i.e. when applying for a pet or guild or something).

Well... it's a good long-term goal that keeps you interested in the site, plus feels really awesome to get closer and closer to having them all. Kind of like Pokemon haha. <3 I'm not much of a collector but that's mostly because it's overwhelming to know that I'm missing at least 50% of them. D:

I'll be the first to admit the dailies can get very tedious. When I get that avie, I'll happily quit! But I'm not sure what's disappointing about that for anyone--if anything, it might give you a better chance of getting rare items if less people go. Some people really enjoy dailies (maybe they luck out routinely), but 999/1000 times I'm getting the same pull toy/scorched food/nominal NP prize.