So I'm Thinking of Starting a Gallery...

Lamppost

So I'm thinking about starting a gallery. Despite my many years on Neopets, I have not yet ventured into the gallery game. I have a few ideas for a theme, but I'm having trouble deciding if I want to start, which theme to pick, and just what to do in general.

Any advice for a new gallery owner just starting out?

do your homework :

your gallery should contain items you really like , something you're passionate about so you won't lose interest quickly ... do you have a hobby in real life ? can you find items which match that hobby ? maybe there's a certain shape or color you prefer to collect ? a specific kind of food ? do you have a favorite character and you'd like to collect their memorabilia ?? do you want a small gallery or a big one ?? how much are you willing to spend ?? these are all questions you should ask yourself before you start a gallery :)

I really liked my brucicles gallery because the theme was narrow, the items were reasonable to buy, but also there were a few unbuyables. I agree a narrow theme is good (and you can have a mix of buyable/unbuyable) and from there you can always expand. I also liked my negg gallery, but with that the NP can get out of hand easily.

I only recently started a gallery - I chose to do one based on the TV series 'Friends'.

This only disadvantage of something non-neopets-themed like that is that you can't submit it for the gallery spotlight.

However, the advantages are: it's original, it's a lot of fun, it's a challenge trying to think of suitable items, people enjoy looking at it, I've made several new friends who also like 'Friends' etc. I'd recommend it!

Pick a NARROW theme if you're going to theme it (Well, what else would you do? One of every item?)

Pick something you are very interested in!

I'm kinda inclined to disagree here. I don't think she should have to pick a narrow theme, if anything, that can make it more boring.

There are tons of things to collect on neo, but try to think outside of the box. Anytime you see an item you like, think about how you could turn it into something original. One of my favorite galleries is called 'Things with strings'. So instead of narrowing himself down to just balloons, yoyos, etc, he was able to keep improving.

Right now, I am working on my sub-gallery, which is my chokato gallery. After that I plan on collecting anything I find really awesome looking. Why limit yourself?

It should be a topic that you like, or something on Neopets that you find interesting. Is there a petpet that you like, or a Neopet that you prefer? A certain color? You should go on JellyNeo, and start a wishlist where you add items that you like, and see if there's a pattern to find a theme. Then you can see if you're willing to pay for most of the suggested prices.

As for narrowing a theme, I agree that it shouldn't limit your gallery so it can be expanded, but you could always start with a narrow theme first. When I started mine, I wanted to get items made of Neopets, but it expanded to Petpets and Petpetpets. Then I saw that some items were "made" by them, and decided to include it within my gallery.

However, if you want a second category, you should do it on a side account if you can fund it, rather than use the same gallery. It's more organized that way, and you can keep the theme of your gallery.

I think you have some really fantastic advice here. Find something you love, so you don't get bored. You can always expand a narrow themed gallery, or try to shrink one that is too broad.

For me, I found my first item, I think it was a Bread Fish, and I thought it was just too cute. I started from there- just one item that I liked. I started looking at the rest of the prizes from Underwater Fishing, and I realised how funny or cute many of the other prizes were, and I decided to collect them all!

my gallery came from what i do. i am a reporter in real life and so the neopian times items was my goal in addition to writing items and such. there are a few of them i will never be able to buy however. i also added a tigersquash section because, idk, i liked the word lol.

I've actually been thinking of starting a gallery for the past few years and I finally settled on a theme today: Glitter. I think you'll just come across something and know it's the right theme for you. Or you'll come up with something and know it's right. I wouldn't start anything until you're certain about the theme. I did that in the past and ended up selling all the stuff.