Justin Bieber incident, your thoughts?

~Xandria

Just FYI, everyone, no girls actually self-harmed because of the Bieber/marijuana controversy - the whole #cut4bieber trending topic was a 4chan prank (they thought it'd be funny to "try to get some girls to cut themselves over this Bieber thing"). It's just a more extreme version of their #bald4bieber attempt to trick fans into shaving their heads earlier last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, everyone, no girls actually self-harmed because of the Bieber/marijuana controversy - the whole #cut4bieber trending topic was a 4chan prank (they thought it'd be funny to "try to get some girls to cut themselves over this Bieber thing"). It's just a more extreme version of their #bald4bieber attempt to trick fans into shaving their heads earlier last year.

Yeah, this was all a 4chan prank. I don't think anyone really did cut because of it.

Yeah, this was all a 4chan prank. I don't think anyone really did cut because of it.

I hope not. I'm someone who has dealt with self-harm issues in the past, and seeing that people actually thought this would be a funny "prank" to try to play + one more set of reminders that the problems I had weren't "real" and that most people, if they knew, would think of me as a dumb attention-seeking girl~~ was upsetting, to say the least. Depression isn't a joke. Self-harm isn't a joke. Even this kind of teen fandom isn't a joke - it's not funny when our culture consistently belittles the hobbies that girls and women choose to take part in. I doubt anyone would've ever considered staging a "#cut4thesuperbowl" prank.

• 4 years later...
  • hrtbrk locked this topic