Recommendations for a BD beginnner?

Hello my TDN friends. :) I'm hoping someone here will have some advice. I've never been big on the BD, but now with the recent upgrade it makes me want to start training up my pet.

I've never trained before, so I don't really know what I specifically should be training. For instance, I've heard that movement doesn't really count for much... so you don't have to pay attention to that. How true is this?

Also. I think I've been told certain species can have freezers and something else? I believe one of those pets is a kacheek. I'm wanting to put one of the kacheeks on my side account on my main anyways. So, would a kacheek make a good BD pet?

As far as weapons go, I don't really have a fortune to spend. However I'd like to have some decent-ish weapons since it will definitley take some time to train my pet up. Any ideas? Should I focus on having a main weapon, and back up like a scarab ring? & then a shield of some sort and maybe some kind of healing potion?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

edit: Oh and I forgot to mention. Right now I do have a guilded war hammer and scarab ring in my SDB, but I'm looking to possibly upgrade that. Would a rainbow scroll be a better alternative to the guilded war hammer? If not, what would you suggest? I'm putting my budget to about 250-300k.

I would recommend to save around 3 mil before making a set. It will be decent. For now.

2x Scroll of Knowledge

Leaf Shield

Downsize!

Greater Healing Scroll

Should cost 200-300k The scroll is almost 200k iteslef but should last you a while. My set is about 4 million but I need to save to upgrade.

Movement only counts for a few weapons, like Heavy Robe of Thievery. Other than that, it's not used for anything. If you're not interested in those weapons, then don't bother training movement.

A typical BD set has two constants or dual-duties (reusable weapons that attack or both attack and defend), one or two shields (weapons that defend), a bomb (a one-use or once per battle weapon that attacks a lot relative to your constants), a freezer, a stealer, and a healer. In each category, there's a variety of good weapons in different price and strength ranges. For a beginner, you can get a good battle set for around 200-300k.

I would recommend checking out the Battlepedia's Basic Weapon Sets page. It divides weapons into a beginner, intermediate, advanced and elite sets, as well as separates them by the categories above. It can give you ideas of good weapons in whatever class you're aiming for. Finn's suggestions are good ones, but if you're looking for alternatives, I would highly recommend that site, since it has lots of good information.

The Basic Weapon Sets guide only addresses non-species weapons. Some species do have good species-specific weapons, especially shields, freezers and healers. My BD pet was a Lupe for awhile, and I used a cheap 100% freezer called Ancient Lupe Wand. It's a lot cheaper than Scroll of Freezing, which is the cheapest non-species 100% freezer. I'm not sure about whether Kacheeks have good species weapons, since I've never had one. You can see all of the species weapons at the Battlepedia, too, here: http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/species/index/ . I don't see a freezer for Kacheeks, but I spotted a fairly good healer. My suggestion is to ask around and see if you can find out what the best species to have is.

edit: Oh and I forgot to mention. Right now I do have a guilded war hammer and scarab ring in my SDB, but I'm looking to possibly upgrade that. Would a rainbow scroll be a better alternative to the guilded war hammer? If not, what would you suggest? I'm putting my budget to about 250-300k.

I would actually recommend the Gilded War Hammer over the Rainbow Scroll. Rainbow Scroll does 1 more icon of attack, but Gilded War Hammer gives you 3 defense icons, and I'm a big fan of dual-duties for beginners.

If you're confused about icons or anything else about the Battledome, please look at the Battlepedia's Walkthrough for Beginners. It explains all about how the Battledome works, how damage and defense are calculated, strength and defense boosts, and more!

Lamppost covered it all, really. Kacheeks do have one of the best species healers- especially for the cost it can usually be found at. It is important to look at the current price of species weapons- they can vary widely, and the Battlepedia estimates aren't always accurate (hard to keep on top of market trends for so many items!). I was pretty surprised when I found out the going price for the Shoyru healer wasn't 2-4 million like i expected- the one person I could find that was selling one was asking for 12 million! If I wasn't so attached to Ansteigen, and I hadn't already spent several million on his customisation, I would probably change species, and go for a Lupe or Kacheek.

Good luck, hun! :D

Thanks so much Lamppost! Your answer was really helpful. :) I actually have a lupe, so perhaps I should make Xaudea my BD pet and go ahead and buy an ancient lupe wand. & Thanks for linking to all the guides for me. I'm about to check them all out.

Thanks everyone!

Although, during the new BD changes, didn't TNT say they will have movement actually have some sort of use later on?

As far as I am aware (and I have been trying to stay on top of BD news), TNT hasn't said a thing about Movement. A lot of people speculated about if they would give it a use or not, but TNT hasn't said anything. And if the Beta is anything to go by, there will continue to be no use, outside of a requirement for some weapons.

Species :

Species items
(freezer(s) and/or healer(s) only)

Blumaroo

Blumaroo Health Potion
(heals up to 50% of max health points)

Chia

Icy Chia Goggles
(100% freezer, once per battle)

Chomby

Chomby Lucky Charm Bracelet
(defend dark and earth icons or 10% freezer, once per battle)

Elephante

Elephante Stunray
(8 iconer and 4% freezer, multiple use)

Elephante Unguent

Flotsam

Bubbling Flotsam Elixir
(heals 15 health points)

Gelert

Gelert Blade Of Frozen Wrath
(6 iconer and 5% freezer, breaks after freezing your opponent)

Gelert Frostweaver Shield
(defend dark and water icons or 10% freezer, disappears after freezing your opponent)

Gelert Healing Remedy

Jubjub

JubJub Foot Hardening Lotion
(3.3-6 iconer and 5% freezer, disappears after freezing your opponent)

Kacheek

Kacheek Life Potion
(either heals 33% of max health points if current health points less or equal to 33% max health points or fully heals)

Koi

Pearly Koi Bubble Net
(approx. 10% freezer, multiple use)

Kyrii

Kyrii Golden Apple of Healing
(heals 15 health points)

Lenny

Entangling Lenny Lasso

Lenny Ray Gun Of Freezing

Bag Of Lenny Healing Seeds

Lupe

Ancient Lupe Wand

Lupe Wand
(100% freezer, once per battle, easily breaks)

Meerca

Meerca Healing Potion
(heals 15 health points)

Moehog

Moehog Healing Root
(heals 5 health points)

Nimmo

Healing Ankh of the Nimmo

Nimmo Elixir of Healing
(heals 15 health points)

Peophin

Golden Peophin Harp
(defend dark icons and 100% freezer, once per battle)

Poogle

Poogle Liquid Freeze Potion
(3.5 iconer and approx. 12.5% freezer, disappears after freezing your opponent)

Magical Poogle Potion
(heals 15 health points)

Ruki

Bubbling Ruki Elixir
(heals 15 health points)

Scorchio

Scorchio Battle Wand
(heals 20 health points)

Shoyru

Squishy Shoyru Healing Stone

Skeith

Skeith Freeze Mask
(4 iconer and approx. 5% freezer, disappears after freezing your opponent)

Rejuvenating Skeith Sack Lunch
(heals 12 health points)

Uni

Uni Healing Crown
(heals 25 health points)

Bottled Uni Essence
(heals 10 health points)

Some species are blessed and have both great freezer and healer (particularly Lennies) whereas there are other species which still wait for some items (Jetsams for instance)

What weapons do you currently have and how much are you willing to spend? :D

Also, there are two places you can train - Swashbuckling Academy and Mystery Island Training School (I need not mention the other 'til it's time XDD). But anyways, you can train at either place but there are pros and cons.

Swashbuckling: Cheaper but much more time consuming.

Mystery Island: More expensive (around 3-5 times?), but less time consuming

If you're like me and you're impatient, go for Mystery Island. If you can wait, go for Swashbuckling.

Oh and in Mystery Island, I think you can train your HP til 3 times your level (For level 20, you can train up to 60 HP :D)

First off, welcome to battling!

2nd, just wanna quickly recognize savamal for posting that awesome list! Nice one! :D

Training looks pretty well covered. :)

Ok, let's see. So, all you have in equipment is A Gilded War Hammer and Scarab Ring?

You definitely need a healer. ;)

i looked at your pets, and I would recommend the Bronze Scorchstone for now, until you can buy a Greater Healing Scroll. The Bronze SS is only a bit over 6000np, while the GHS is selling between 150k-190k... I was ABOUT to recommend a Blue Scorchstone, but those are now 140k on the TP. Darn inflation. bronze Scorchstone heals 15hp once per battle, and can heal beyond your maximum HP. Like the Faerie Healing Springs can, just in battle. Since you're on a budget, I'd definitely recommend the Bronze SS for the short term.

Movement is indeed not a factor Currently. I trained movement for awhile when I started, but not anymore. Although, I don't refuse reasonably priced Air Faerie Quests, because it's always been my thought that movement may one day be important. Althought, it's only at 279, it's enough for the Heavy Robe of Thievery (which needs 200).

For a shield, I usually go with Leaf Shield as a default suggestion. It depends largely on which opponents you will be fighting. If you are going to fight 1-player opponents, you can find a list of them here.... http://battlepedia.t...neplayer/index/ And see what the attributes of their weapons are. Then you can move your equipment around to make it more fitting for the opponent you wish to fight.

You don't necessarily NEED the best weapons or shields. I like dual duty, but sometimes you need a pure attacker or defender. Or a reflector, for that matter.

You could go with snowballs, or once-per battle bombs. Honey Potion is a little outside your total budget, but it's really nice to have. ;) Let's see what other bombs you might find useful... Ok, Illusens Earth Potion is VERY cheap and still a decent once per battle "bomb". Otherwise I would recommend Sticky Snowballs, but those are one use, and they're gone, and that can add up in np depending on how many you buy and use.

I hope this helps! Good luck in the BD! :)

Edit: LOL I completely forgot about Downize! It's called Downsize! (WITH the exclaimation mark) It's about 5500np right now. It will defend you against 50% damage. But you can only use it once per battle. It will then disappear, like Illusens Earth Potion, and the same, it will be back next time you battle. ;) So don't worry when it disappears from your equipment IN battle after being used. ;)

Edited by Aquamentis12
Forgot some info

For me I just haven't gottten around to battling in the new battledome. I guess I should start learning the ropes since it's changed

Not much has changed, except some things aren't working, like faerie abilities and stances. Other than that, at its core, it's pretty much the same as the old.