Family Guy : Funny Or Offensive ?

Angeló

38 members have voted

1. 1. Seth McFarlane is ...

• Funny
    • Lame
    • Offensive

Lots of my friends don't watch Family Guy (and the other two Seth McFarlane shows , American Dad and Cleveland Show) deeming them offensive and tasteless ... personally I love it and don't take any offense ... what do you guys think ??

I also watch family guy. :) I'm a big fan of american dad and south park as well. They are offensive, I guess to some people. But you have to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes. I mean, come on! These shows poke fun at everyone! So it's not like they are singling out a group of people.

I loved the earlier seasons of Family Guy, and watched up to Season... eight? Something like that. But then it became too forced and too tired of concepts. I tried watching some newer episodes when I got Hulu+ but I felt the same thing.

I can see where some people might take offense, but overall they don't single any single group out and treat everyone as fair game.

I personally don't find shows like Family Guy to be very funny. They make good commentary sometimes, but the style of humour is really not my cup of tea.

It's more like my cup of coffee, which I can drink if I absolutely have to, but I'll feel like crap for the rest of the day and vaguely want to puke.

I think the first little while of Family Guy was decent (not hilarious) But after about the second or so season, I found quality had dropped and they started using the same jokes in different contexts. I stopped watching about season 5 (I think). and by that point it was just downright embarrassing in my opinion.

Honestly, I hate them. Hate them so much. I know they're supposed to satire, and a commentary on our society, but I feel that it is poorly done. I am hugely offended or disgusted every time I watch an episode. One of the perks I found to leaving an old job was that I wouldn't be working with teenage boys that would watch it in the break room while I was on my lunch. So. Much. Hate.

I'm floating between funny and lame on this one. Family Guy and The Cleveland Show do feel forced, but I'm not opposed to watching either, and sometimes the jokes are funny. American Dad, however, I find absolutely hilarious. But none of them have anything on Bob's Burgers :rock:

Seems are taste in offensive cartoons are very similiar. I don't enjoy watching family guy as much as I used too. As for the Cleveland show, I never found it funny. American Dad and Bob's Burgers are awesome shows! Louis, the little girl with the bunny ears hat is so hilarious. :laughingsmiley:

edit: Mods, sorry for the double post. My computer has been acting up. ;)

The eps of Family Guy I've seen, I enjoy. My family bought me the first 6 seasons and I haven't watched them all yet though.

The Cleveland show I don't like at all. I may not get the jokes... Or maybe to me it seems to lack jokes.

American dad, I'm not sure. It has some funny moments but mostly wth? moments.

Livvy = my brain twin

I couldn't have said it near as well or elegantly, but she got my thoughts across exactly.

I can't stand any of them. I don't find them offensive. (Not that I've watched more than a few seconds here and there to know) Generally though, I find the humor to be stupid, which is the type of comedy/humor I hate the most. I don't find it to have any entertainment value at all.

My thoughts on shows like Family Guy and similar programs are that they're offensive. FOR SURE. But the fact is, they're not racist, homophobic, or slanderous, because they make fun of everything equally.

I remember when South Park was getting so much flak. I didn't understand because the whole show is focused around making fun of white trash trailer towns like South Park, Colorado. So if they throw a few offensive jokes in towards other people, I don't feel like it's such a bad thing. Family Guy/American Dad/Cleveland Show are all the same way. In fact, in American Dad, the "Meg" character who everyone hates is a hippy, which is a caucasian subculture in America. So I guess I don't mind all the offensive stuff BECAUSE, it's equally dished out to every subculture/race.

Family Guy beats out Bob's Burger's for me because it's such a genuinely funny show. Simpsons and South Park beat them both out for me.

I think that anyone that is offended by a cartoon should just stop watching television. There are definitely worse out there :P, such as people that are actually like that but in your face and with the intention to hurt feelings. These cartoons, however, are harmless comedies.

That said, I can't sit through an episode. They bore me. It's just not my type of humor. I'm a sarcastic (sometimes even snarky) butthead most of the time, but stupidity just isn't my style.

Neither.

It makes an attempt to be offensive, it makes an attempt to be funny, but it can only hit home if the jokes actually work. Like when the joke is just "haha, some celebrity is ugly!" ...and the celebrity doesn't have whatever feature they claim. It only works if the joke is true. It's like making fat jokes about, say, Keira Knightley. The tangents have just gotten stupid.

South Park is way better because the satire is dead accurate the majority of the time.