Family Guy : Funny Or Offensive ?

Angeló

38 members have voted

1. 1. Seth McFarlane is ...

• Funny
    • Lame
    • Offensive

The way I see it, and I'm sure other people have said this on the board (but I'm way too lazy to read them all) is that Family Guy may be somewhat offensive, but they pick on everyone. Every race, every gender, every religion, every political affiliation. You can find just as many white jokes on FG as black jokes.

I understand how people would find it offensive - there are some crude jokes. But personally, I don't find it offensive and I think Seth Mcfarlane is hilarious.

• 7 months later...

I am...very bothered by the amount of people who are saying that it's offensiveness is 'harmless'. Actually, at the end of the day, it's not about 'offense'. Its about blatant racism/homophobia/fatphobia/etc. being wrapped up as a 'joke'. I hate the excuse of "well I/it/they make fun of everyone equally so I'm not racist/sexist/generally a bigot'. That's not how it works. It just makes you 'equally' ignorant. Why don't a few of you go read up on representation in media and how it can, indeed, be harmful. Just because something is in the context of a joke, that doesn't suddenly make it okay and harmless.

When I was 13-15 I liked Family Guy and the like, but then I grew up. And I've never liked South Park. They are trash.

• 6 months later...

I'm not a huge fan of family guy. I can't really relate to any of the characters and I don't really find the jokes funny. I did however like the Cleveland show a lot, but I think thats because Cleveland is a more likable character than Peter Griffin. The episodes I enjoy most are the ones with Brian and Stewie or Brian and his girlfriend. :)

The thing I hate most about Family Guy is that they kind of "overdo" their jokes. Whenever something supposedly funny happens, like the fighting chicken or some guy sings or they have that clip on for minutes!! I just find that awkward, but that might only be me! :P

Family guy's humour is just a bunch of stupidity. So if you're into watching that sort of stuff, then you'd find it funny. I personally have my moments where I want to watch some really stupid stuff, and that's when Family Guy comes in, other than that I probably wouldn't be watching it.
If you're under the influence you'd probably find it extremely funny when they have those long pauses or long clips lilllisan mentioned, and family guy would be a great thing to watch along side weird stuff like adventure time.

I watch Family Guy and the Simpsons and some of the episodes are funny just not in the laughing sense and Family guy isn't really offensive I know some people are complaining that children watch the show so it should be banned and blah blah but honestly in today's society Family Guy isn't offensive or as inappropriate as some people think it is because now there's things that are worse than that and also because mos children now have already been exposed to stuff like that from COD,Internet,and by parents and at school by other students.Honestly some of the students use more cursing than one episode of Family Guy and never get caught anyways it isn't as offensive as it used to be.

I used to think Family Guy was funny... now I just kind of watch it. I much prefer American Dad if we're going with Macfarland's shows. Err, anyway, for some people the funniest jokes ARE offensive. My favourite funny story in the world is done by Ralphie May and it's about an experience he had in a 'ghetto' theater. I cry every time I hear it. so do a lot of my friends. But an old teacher of mine (who had no reason to be offended by it, if you understand my meaning) told me it was highly offensive and I shouldn't ever tell it. I still do anyway. Especially because the friends of mine who do have reasons to be offended by it think it's the funniest thing in the world. Because it's a true story. ...Mmm, I got way off topic, but that's the basis of why I found Family Guy funny. Back before Stewie was so feminine and Quagmire hated Brian.

My family used to watch American Dad and Family Guy during dinner for what seems like every time we ate. After a certain period of time both of them get insanely bland. Family Guy isn't funny or offensive in my opinion. All it does is make my hamster-esque attention span even shorter.

South Park is way better. There's more of a variety of jokes. I love offensive humor, but American Dad and Family Guy are a far cry from offensive if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't stand any of them. I don't find them offensive. (Not that I've watched more than a few seconds here and there to know) Generally though, I find the humor to be stupid, which is the type of comedy/humor I hate the most. I don't find it to have any entertainment value at all.

Honestly, I hate them. Hate them so much. I know they're supposed to satire, and a commentary on our society, but I feel that it is poorly done. I am hugely offended or disgusted every time I watch an episode. One of the perks I found to leaving an old job was that I wouldn't be working with teenage boys that would watch it in the break room while I was on my lunch. So. Much. Hate.

THESE.

I find the drawings so crude, the style so poor, the jokes so stupid and forced. PLUS, it annoys me TO DEATH for the obvious similarities to The Simpsons, only in a much, much, much cruder way. Peter Griffin will never be half what Homer Simpson is.

Basically this MAD cover sums my feelings up:

family_guy_mad.jpg

Seth McFarlane said several times that the show is similar to The Simpsons :P

Even The Simpsons got tired after all these years ...

I think Seth McFarlane was awesome in Robot Chicken. I still love the Robot Chicken Pirates of the Caribbean. God that's funny.

But still...Family Guy does nothing for me. I will admit...that one time on American Dad where Roger makes fun of Country music is sooo funny because I live in the country.