Predictions for the future of the plot?

StarDragon

With the fourth wave adding even more difficulty to the battles, I started thinking of what's going to happen after one faction wins.

Or maybe none of them will win.

Which faction do you think will win? Or do you think any factions will win at all?

Could it end in a stalemate?

It's hard to say, but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

I'm still thinking about what could happen, I started thinking that maybe an outside group would come in and stop the war at some point. That'd be pretty interesting, huh?

Either way, I didn't see a thread like this and I figured it would make for an interesting discussion.

Discuss away!

ive been thinking about this and i really hope that it doesn't finish with a bland 'X faction won the war', good job.

i hope that they let us know why the obelisk is actually so desirable to own or control.

perhaps we can fight against the obelisk itself as a final boss.

and perhaps all of this is tied to a new type of neopian threat - a new, hithero imprisoned species, perhaps?

ive been thinking about this and i really hope that it doesn't finish with a bland 'X faction won the war', good job.

i hope that they let us know why the obelisk is actually so desirable to own or control.

and perhaps all of this is tied to a new type of neopian threat - a new, hithero imprisoned species, perhaps?

Wow, your ideas kinda blew my mind just thinking about if they actually happened..! The obelisk as a final boss? Man, that'd be a twist. I think I'd like that a lot, well, just knowing it happened anyway ahaha. I've been pretty useless in the battles as of the third wave.

That idea brings a lot more ideas to the table, such as the obelisk being sentient. That'd be pretty cool..?? Well. I think it would.

Hmmm... I don't think we have nearly enough info at this point to start speculating on the outcome.

But, what the heck, it's fun anyway. :3

Let's see... they could reveal that the obelisk is:

1. The can for a Sealed Evil in a Can and all factions must unite to defeat it.

2. A gateway to a new world that has been oppressed by a big bad and all factions race to be the first to beat him/her/it. (I can imagine overthrowing an evil dictator for someone else might lead to a few rewards.)

3. Really part of a giant slumbering prehistoric Neopet.

*scratches head* I can't think of anything else right now. ^_^;;

Well, I was thinking the same thing, but you know.. I'm impatient, and how much stronger can the waves get at this point?

Those are pretty good ideas hehe. Right now I'm riding on the factions having to unite to defeat something bigger, perhaps brought about by the Obelisk.

I still like the idea of the Obelisk being sentient.

NEW RACE! NEW RACE! YES YES! I wasn't thinking of that before, but that's a good idea! I would agree that when the battle is over I hope some kind of plot line happens. Maybe we have to work out the puzzles released by the Obelisk as it's being studied? Maybe a new race emerges from their slumber they were in before they crashed into Neopia? SO MANY IDEAS!!!

Much to a lot of people's dismay, I predict there will be no puzzles. TNT is still calling this an "event" on the front page, not a "plot," so I doubt there will be many plot-like elements like puzzles. I think it'll just be battling, but I do think the factions will unite for a final battle.

(I hope I'm wrong about the puzzles!)

Much to a lot of people's dismay, I predict there will be no puzzles. TNT is still calling this an "event" on the front page, not a "plot," so I doubt there will be many plot-like elements like puzzles. I think it'll just be battling, but I do think the factions will unite for a final battle.

(I hope I'm wrong about the puzzles!)

I expect you're right, Lampy. I think that after the last wave, the 'winner' will find a horrible evil inside of the obelisk, and the remnants of the other five factions will team together with the winner to fight the evil.

I didn't even realize that TNT was calling it an event, because everyone else seemed to be referring to it as a plot.

Huh.

Well either way, I like where you guys are coming from with a lot of these ideas. The whole "factions uniting to defeat a bigger evil" seems to be a commonly accepted prediction in this thread so far, which I totally agree with. I do hope that TNT does something like that for the event plot thing.

I mean, I doubt we're going to get an ending that falls flat on it's face. We still don't know what's so important about the Obelisk or why it's so powerful, so finding that out would definitely give more fuel to the... event. Plot. Thing.

Hmm let me see... earthquakes in Tyrannia, leading to something popping up out of the ground, people digging at it to unearth it, then everybody scrambling to gain possession of the new mysterious object... because it obviously is full of, um, power, or something. 6 factions quickly form and decide to have all-out war to determine who gets to have it.

My theories:

• This was a fancy way to unveil the new improved battledome and get everyone liking how it works. When the battling is "over" a random (or predetermined) faction wins, or a draw is called, everybody gets plot trophies and the factions discover the obelisk is something that cannot be possessed, because the whole point was the battling. Everybody makes up and is friends again.
  • This is a way for the new improved Tyrannian landscape to be revealed, complete with story to back up and explain where everything is in Tyrannia, including, perhaps, new place(s) to visit daily, and maybe even a new city. Tada! TNT's artists finally have all their hard work on a new Tyrannia revealed, and they get to move on to updating the next oldest part of Neopia. Everybody enjoys their trophies and visiting the new locations, and everything is back to business as usual.
  • This is a new link along a chain of loose threads from previous plots, all leading to a super-plot in the future. Is the Darkest Faerie really gone? Is Dr. Sloth content to not dominate all of Neopia? Is someone using faerie magic that they acquired when Faerieland fell? Whatever happened to the Lost Isle? Why did Krawk Island really fall apart?

Hmm. I think this might result in a new species and new artwork for Tyrannia.

My hypothesis is that maybe we'll fight the other faction's leaders at the end, and then the new species comes out of the obelisk and the factions have to fight it?? ugh this is a horrible theory.

I really hope it's going somewhere after this war... but I'm not sure. It's unlike the plots we've had before and seems more like an event. On the other hand, the whole set up suggests that TNT put a lot of effort into this, and I cannot imagine it's just to introduce the Neopian population to the possibilities of the new battledome.

Well, it's a war, not a plot. They're different. It's been a long time since there was a war, and I didn't participate in site events until the Altador mini-plot (I missed out on LDP even though I was aware of it, and I got a paltry 1 point in the Meridell War because I knew nothing about training or the Battledome).

My friend who participated in past wars said there's often a Big Bad to fight at the end, and it only makes sense that the power is 1) some evil, uncontrollabe being that was locked in there for a reason, or 2) guarded by a powerful guardian who's not going to just hand it over. I think there has to be a winner of the war, or else people will be disappointed that they worked so hard for their faction when the faction didn't matter.

In past wars, there have been no puzzles. However, it's been a long time, and puzzlers always complained that there's considerable battling in plots but no puzzling in wars. So... maybe TNT will have something else planned. I really hope so, because this stage has gotten a bit tedious, and I'd be disappointed if there were only digging and battling. The symbols on the obelisk certainly lend themselves to the idea of a puzzle -- it'd be cool to have to unlock it (go Seekers!) before unleashing the Creature of Doom. But it had to be decorated somehow, so maybe I'm just getting my hopes up.

Regarding who I think will win, I always battle based on a faction challenge, not doing any extras until I want to even things up at the end. I suspect the challenges may not be random, but may instead be based on who is currently in the lead, because in the earlier waves, my challenges were heavily skewed towards one or two factions (Brute Squad and Order, if I recall correctly), but they've slowly evened up. I suspected that those might be the factions in the "lead," but I could have just been an extreme outlier in the randomness distribution (extreme because in one round, I had 58 wins against the Brute Squad and less than 10 against the Awakened, and very few against the Thieves).

I do think most of the big battlers probably gravitated towards either the Order or the Brute Squad, though a few might have chosen other factions based on personality (Thieves Guild and Seekers, specifically). I also suspect that the Awakening, Thieves Guild, and (to a lesser extent) Seekers and Order might have attracted more of the "this looks fun" people who've never battled before (and so who won't get as many points because they just won't have the time or be able to handle the bigger enemies). So if it's similar to the AC, where it doesn't matter how big a team is, but more how many wins per member, I think the Brute Squad may have an advantage. (Yes, they have the Princess Bride reference, but I think that will appeal to older players, who often have older accounts and know more about the site in general, and probably are better trained.)

Of course I want to say the Seekers will win, and I'm doing my part to help them do so, but scholars aren't necessarily the best fighters, even if "wit is a weapon, [and] it's not nice to attack the unarmed." (Don't you just love the Professor?)

Everyone seems to be having pretty low expectations of how it is going to end. Looks like mainly everyone joins up and fights a greater evil and then THE END. No puzzles, new artwork, prizes and trophies for everyone. Although I also think this is the most likely outcome. I really hope for a bit more.

What I hope to happen next after the fifth wave is that the winning faction gets some advantage in the next stage of the plot because at the moment I don’t see the point of joining a faction besides not being able to battle 1 battledome opponent. So the winning faction gets some advantage, a head start on a puzzle (fingers crossed) or some extra training items (bottled faeries or set of codestones) or both.

Then the event follows up with the winning faction discovering a new world planning to take over tyrannia. This is when everyone joins together to fight off a common enemy but with each faction doing their specialty to help. Seekers would do some puzzle, Brutes would battle more guards, etc etc. Something along this line so that joining a faction would have more meaning to it. Then followed by more waves of opponents from this common enemy. Then the plot can end with a new entry into the book of evil, new artwork, and a new part of tyrannia. Nice prizes and trophy for everyone. THE END.

Oh, I think everyone's expecting new artwork, trophies, and prizes. I expect a full-fledged prize shop with a well-rounded points system, though the "doing your part" bars has me a bit worried (sorry, I don't think you should be able to get full credit for losing, no matter how many times you do it -- you don't get full credit in plots if you can't solve your puzzles, and battling is just as much of a skill). If we all get the same thing, I'll be extremely disappointed, and the upper level battlers will feel betrayed.

TNT specifically addressed the fact that we'd all get the same experience, regardless of what faction we chose, in the editorial, as much as I'd love Seeker-only puzzles. The Tyrannian map is rather old; I suspect we'll get a redrawn Tyrannia, with maybe one or two new things (maybe a new Obelisk daily, since there aren't enough dailies already)-- it'd be awesome if it was a whole new subsection, though!