What do you think happens when you die?

~Xandria

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with those of you who think we'll just cease to exist. Trying to imagine the void is hard to do when we're conscious beings, but I think it would be fair to imagine it as a sleep you never wake up from.

When we're in the process of dying, whether it's over a longer period of time due to illness or a shorter period of time due to something unexpected, our brain is literally short-circuiting, so it's not surprising that we might see visual hallucinations like lights, memories replayed, etc.

So maybe when we die, the chemicals in our brain short out in such a way that euphoria is induced and then perceived by our remaining consciousness as forever/endless even though it realistically lasts seconds/minutes. Maybe we'll get to dream in our own "eternity."

I am Jewish, and once you die...you...die. There is nothing. Nada x_x

This is from Chabad.org:

When the soul departs from the body, it stands before the heavenly court to give a “judgment and accounting” of its earthly life.9 But the heavenly court does only the “accounting” part; the “judgment” part—that, only the soul itself can do.10 Only the soul can pass judgment on itself; only it can know and sense the true extent of what it accomplished, or neglected to accomplish, in the course of its physical life. Freed from the limitations and concealments of the physical state, it can now see G‑dliness; it can now look back at its own life and experience what it truly was. The soul’s experience of the G‑dliness it brought into the world with its mitzvot and positive actions is the exquisite pleasure of Gan Eden (the “Garden of Eden”—Paradise); its experience of the destructiveness it wrought through its lapses and transgressions is the excruciating pain of Gehinnom (“Gehenna” or “Purgatory”).

I go to a Chabad Shul when I am near one (the closest one from me is 2 hours away, Feh!)/ I follow them, they are an orthodox Jewish shul/temple.

This makes me smile, though:

My Mom is 82 years old and calls herself a "Jewish Buddhist" :) I love it when she says that. She believes we get reincarnated.

This is from a lady that grew up in a devout Jewish household. She surprised me with this info!

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought I'd see something like this discussed on a Neopets forum!

But yeah, when you die, you die. There's no afterlife/reincarnation/anything like that -- nice to think about, but just not believable. When you're dead, it's just like it was before you were born -- you're not alive, you're not conscious, the universe just continues on without you. Sort of scary, sort of comforting, when you put it like that.

And now I'm gonna go play Meerca Chase before the existential dread sets in!

• 1 month later...

I completely believe when you die you are taken before God and will be judged and asked about things you've done in your life. I believe that we either go to Hell or to Heaven. No reincarnation/purgatory/cease to exist. Those who denied God and simply refused to believe that He loved them or existed will be sent to Hell. Those who followed God and truly know that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus and believing in him will go to Heaven, not just that but by the way we treat others too.

There's this story in the Bible about the Lambs and the Goat. The Lambs would welcome anyone into their home, they'd clothe them, feed them, help them,  and care for them, where as the Goats turned everyone away. When Jesus told the Goats that they had turned him away and did not help him they were shocked and asked "when did we not help you? When did we not feed you?" in which Jesus replies, "When you turned away my people, you turned away me."

Reincarnation to me seems way to sad and just plain silly (in my opinion) we are remarkably made and one of a kind, we don't become someone or something else after we die, who we are as a person would then have no meaning, we would constantly have new lives while the person we were didn't matter anymore.

Ceasing to exist seems like a sad thing to have happen to us after we die. We live all our lives to do what's right and help people out and strive to make the world a better place and in the end. nothing? That's just not right and I don't believe we are in store for such a sad ending.

The thought of waiting around to get into Heaven seems silly as well. If only a certain amount of people could make it into Heaven and most of them had to wait to get there, I feel like Heaven would already be FULL! lol

Although I do know this is a debate chat, I won't say any one persons way or thinking or beliefs are wrong. These are mine and we're all entitled to our own. :)

Ceasing to exist seems like a sad thing to have happen to us after we die. We live all our lives to do what's right and help people out and strive to make the world a better place and in the end. nothing? That's just not right and I don't believe we are in store for such a sad ending.

I just wanted to say on this that I don't think it's sad, it makes your life now more meaningful. I don't believe there's anything after, so you have to make the most of everything, and do as much as you can in the short time you get. You can still do that if you believe in an afterlife (duh), but something about having a finite amount of time to live every aspect of your life just makes it more pressing.

I would also like to believe in an afterlife, among other things, but it's just not feasible to me. I can't disprove it, but I definitely can't prove it either so I choose to believe it's not real. Plus, the idea of hell infuriates me. Deny me (despite giving you zero irrefutable proof I exist) and I'll torture you forever? Rude.

I just wanted to say on this that I don't think it's sad, it makes your life now more meaningful. I don't believe there's anything after, so you have to make the most of everything, and do as much as you can in the short time you get. You can still do that if you believe in an afterlife (duh), but something about having a finite amount of time to live every aspect of your life just makes it more pressing.

I would also like to believe in an afterlife, among other things, but it's just not feasible to me. I can't disprove it, but I definitely can't prove it either so I choose to believe it's not real. Plus, the idea of hell infuriates me. Deny me (despite giving you zero irrefutable proof I exist) and I'll torture you forever? Rude.

See I can understand your thoughts on the 'deny me' me thing, however, God's not the one that tortures you, Satan is. Lucifer did a horrible thing by trying to over-through Heaven as he was greedy with power and even got some angels to follow him, due to his revolt God cast him out and sentenced him to a life in Hell. God doesn't send us to Hell, He let's us in to Heaven, it's the Devil and his demons that take you there, God doesn't like his people going there about as much as people that go there do. The reason it is like this is God gives/gave us many things all through out our life including His ONLY son. I mean think about that. You have a child that has done nothing wrong, lived a perfect, caring, committed, kind, compassionate life and now he has to die for everyone in the world. Everyone, even murderers, child abusers, harmful and dangerous people, just to give even these kinds of people a chance at eternal life. Even those who don't care about him. That's got to be sad, depressing even as a father to deal with. I can't even imagine. All he asks of us is to believe in Him and His son, that's not a hard trade considering someone else died and you get to live. 

And there are MANY irrefutable evidence that God exists. Many, many, many, evidence. There's even things in the Bible that were told by God about science that they didn't have the technology to figure out back then, come to find out many years later when scientists studied these things they found out the Bible was right about them. Even Einstein was asked how this happened and how he could prove the Bible wrong in certain areas and he never could give an answer. 

The thing about God is His path is narrow and many do not find it. We're supposed to those irrefutable things and we're supposed to seek Him out. It's not God's job to lay everything out in the open. If that was the case then people would choose him out of pure fear of going to Hell, people need to make a choice to love God and truly love Him. That's why we're given free will.

And I hope you don't think I'm saying any of this in angst, as I stated previously I do want everyone to feel free to have their own and even share their own beliefs. I just want to make a little more clear why I believe what I do. Also, just because I believe in Hell doesn't mean I want people to go there. It breaks my heart to know that there's people there and that people will still go there and that even some of my family members could be there, I hope to God I'm wrong about that.

Who knows, I could be wrong in what I believe happens after we die, no one REALLY know's what happens. However, out of all the things to believe out there, of all the different beliefs of things that happen after we die this specific belief that I have has a heavier outcome if it turns out to be right vs. if other one's turn out to be right and I am wrong. All I know is I have prayed for many things in my life that have been fulfilled and have had great experiences with God for everything I believe to not be real, it just doesn't seem right for it not to be.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...