A first attempt to understand the new Burrow ability

In order to make my fights against "Death" more interesting, I tried to use the new Burrow ability each time my pet got frozen (it can be used when frozen and moreover is effective even though you have "Tempest" and "Throw pillows", two abilites of "Death", so I guess it also work during "Lens Flare" - need confirm here). So it took me about 350+ fights to get 100 screen shots... (hard to be frozen during a boss battle...)

Anyway, a first intro:

Differences between "Burrow" and "Shade"

Shade (requires level 5) always randomly choose 3 icon types added to your defence. For my spoilt pet (defence boost of 12), I get 8 x 12 = 96 damages reduced per randomly given icon type. Note that since it is random, you can be unlucky and get defence for icons that your opponent doesn't use on the turn you use this ability... Shade has a cool down effect so you can use it several times during a fight (if the fight last long enough for you to reuse that ability)

Burrow (requires level 100) defends between 0 up to 3 icon types added to your defence and those icon types are random but will always be of the kind your opponent is using during the turn you use this ability, EXCEPT PHYSICAL ICONS (Burrow fully block all other icon types).

Since Physical icons aren't blocked at all, I consider those as "invisible" for the ability (but not for your damages).

Then, out of my 100 screen shots, I have 32 that deal with a single type of icon (+physical);

OneIconType_zpsca508084.png

Boss on Mighty has a strength boost of 32.

Top screen shot, Burrow doesn't block any icons, damages taken: 2x32 = 64

My spoilt pet has a defence boost of 12. So 4 Fire icons x 32 = 128 damages fully blocked by 11 x 12 = 132 defence (the number of Fire icons can be rounded below or above the damages, but the difference is ignored)

Bottom screen shot, Burrow doesn't see Physical icons, fully blocks Fire icons

Stats (need more testings):

The icons are NOT blocked: 14/32 = 44%

One icon type is fully blocked: 18/32 = 55%

What about two icon types?

TwoIconTypes_zps26df3fe1.png

Top screen shot: Burrow fully blocked Air icons only (Tempest doesn't do 6 Air icons...)

Bottom screen shot: the Ultra Bubble Gun is fully blocked, only Physical icons from Yoyo of Death remain

Stats (need more testing, didn't get a lot of them, maybe because of "Death")

The icons are NOT blocked: 0/5 = 0%

One icon type is fully blocked: 3/5 = 60%

Two icon types are fully blocked: 2/5 = 40%

When the opponent deals with 3 different icons:

ThreeIconTypes_zpsa2bf4514.png

From top to bottom: No icons blocked, only Air icons fully blocked, Water and Light icons fully blocked and all icons (Air, Water and Earth) fully blocked (hence the zero damages taken)

The icons are NOT blocked: 1/55 = 2%

One icon type is fully blocked: 29/55 = 53%

Two icon types are fully blocked: 21/55 = 38%

Three icon types are fully blocked: 4/55 = 7%

When the opponent deals with more than 3 different icon types (Physical icons ignored), then it seems that it is easier to block icon types with the new Burrow ability

Two icon types are fully blocked: 5/8 = 63%

Three icon types are fully blocked: 3/8 = 37%

When the "normal" challengers are back, I will do some more testings.

I'm currently testing Burrow against Plumbeard and Kastraliss. Both often use their freezer (multiple freezer for Plumbeard) during their fight.

Already got 50 screen shots of Plumbeard and what surprises me the most, Burrow never blocked dark icons. Against "Death", it fully blocked Dark icons from Meepit Stampede (a Level 500 ability) several times but he didn't have a weapon that actually has dark icons. And since several Plumbeard's weapons have Dark icons, it reduces the efficiency of Burrow. I keep those data separated just in case. Plumbeard don't have weapons which have Light icons

Against Kastraliss, I have 10 screen shots so far. He only has Pirate Cutlass and Sludge Bomb which deal with icons, so it's harder to get him use a weapon when my spoilt pet is frozen. Kastraliss doesn't have weapons which have Fire or Dark icons.

I need more testing. Bad thing, it makes harder when the pet doesn't heal after the fight.

I have been playing some with "Shroud" and for the life of me it seems rather worthless. While I've not done the hard math to confirm the apparent results, it is as if only 2 to 4 icons are being blocked of one or two types. Compared to Shade that has shown 8 being blocked.