Survey the Scene

funkyvixen

^This. Even though TNT has stated it is a war, not a plot, I'm still really hoping for a puzzle or two.

I could also live with an "oh now that you're inside the obelisk there are all kinds of supernatural creepy-crawlies you'll need to battle - ROUND 2, GO" twist, if only because it'd be so hilarious to see everyone scrambling to buy back all the weapons they sold off as soon as the boss battles ended. ;p

I could also live with an "oh now that you're inside the obelisk there are all kinds of supernatural creepy-crawlies you'll need to battle - ROUND 2, GO" twist, if only because it'd be so hilarious to see everyone scrambling to buy back all the weapons they sold off as soon as the boss battles ended. ;p

But what the crap would be in round 2? XD I can't imagine doing a whole battle again. lol

For those wondering what's taking so long, here's a blast from the past (editorial):

Hi TNT, would you possibly be able to explain the process that you follow to create a plot and the amount of work a single plot represents? I am sick of people complaining because they haven't received prizes and saying that you are lazy when you obviously have a lot of work. Thanks for all the hard work you put into making Neopets a great site. ~viking_munchkin

Hrmm... well, it basically starts out with an itty, bitty idea. Someone usually says, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if there was a plot where Meepits took over Faerieland and stole all the faerie magic?" Everyone else says things like, "oh, splendid" and "yes, yes... excellent" and "I serve our Meepit overlords!" Then, *several* meetings are held where the creative team (which consists of dedicated creative folks, but also staff members from all around the office) gets together and fleshes out the story. This takes quite a while. We fill plot holes and generally finish concepting the story outright, as if we were writing a book. From there programmers, writers, and artists enter the fray and work out puzzles, timing, battles, chapter outlines, comic layouts... anything and everything that's included with a full-blown plot. We then schedule everything, which isn't as easy as it sounds. We want to leave enough time for folks to finish bits before we release the next chapter, but we also don't want to wait weeks and weeks for stragglers, so scheduling is a tedious process. We're always changing things, even through the plot -- we may have better ideas come up, or we may have hidden a clue *too* well and have to leave more time for its discovery. (Oops!) When you're dealing with a group the size of y'all, it's hard to lock things down. ;)

And, of course, there's prizes. We hear about this one a lot. ;) Basically, we don't do ANYTHING about prizes until the very end of the plot (or, more commonly, after it's over). There are two major reasons for this. First, we have no way of knowing how well people will do. You guys are waaay too fast, and clever, and we've always had our expectations exceeded for how you'll perform. So in the past, when we've tried to do prizes before the plot was over, we've gotten things all wrong. We end up with points being out of whack, prizes and trophies not being fair, items being too rare or too common, etc. Secondly, we never know how popular certain aspects of the plot will be until we release them. (For example, we had absolutely no idea that the symbols that were assigned to players during the Lost Desert Plot would become so important to the plot-goers. We'd even thought of getting rid of them at one point, but you can imagine how glad we are that we didn't!) So all the inside jokes you see in the prizes are thought up *while* we watch you go through the plot. We take the parts you like the most and we put those toward the prizes. In short, we learned quite a few plots back that we were doing things all wrong and that if we didn't wait and do the prizes *after* the plot was over, they wouldn't be as good or as fair as they could be. So no, we don't "have prizes ready at the beginning" like most people suggest on the boards. And it's not just some simple math to figure out scores and points. We really do wait and troll through scores, retool things, find ways to reward those who went above and beyond, recap what was popular and what worked, and go over feedback before we finally release prizes.

interesting tidbit from the editorial there.. i guess prizes will be revealed after the negg festival then.. i just wish they would just bloomin SAY it's over

But WHAT IF IT ISN'T OVER?!!??!!?! *dramatic gasp*

Just kidding. But the obelisk isn't opened yet, so who knows what will happen. :sad01_anim: I am very impatient, so the suspense is killing me! :whofarted:

Oh well. TNT are trying as hard as they can, and I guess we have no right to complain.

If it isn't over, TNT is actively trying to fake us out, already having mentioned tallying scores and posting that "the war has ended" message. Further, this is a bad time to start a full-on plot: The Festival of Neggs will run until mid-April, the Daily Dare will presumably happen after that (and run for at least 19 days, based on the shortest one they've had), and then the Altador Cup starts at the beginning of June. It wouldn't have been too tough to run plot steps along with The Festival of Neggs, but those other two events (especially the Altador Cup) would better stand alone. I would be much, much more surprised if it wasn't over. Nothing says "the war has ended" much better than a "the war has ended" pop-up.

One thing I still do think is possible is that there could be a proper plot, probably in the fall (definitely after the Altador Cup), based on the outcome of the war. I'm not saying I expect that, just that I could see that as a way of continuing with the Obelisk plot line. This particular event would still be over with the release of the prize shop, though, with any future Obelisk-related content being more like a sequel. Or it'll just be another Journey to the Lost Isle situation, where there's lots of build-up and then nothing much happens. (Though still of more consequence than that, if Tyrannia at least gets a redesign.) I could also see the opening of the prize shop corresponding to the official, non-beta release of the new BD.

I don't think they would do it on good idea day :P that would create tons of confusing.

I see TDNF has a new automatic filter that c h a n g e s A p r i l F o o l s into April fools day. :P

EDIT: and 'c h a n g e s' into 'changes'.

I see TDNF has a new automatic filter that c h a n g e s A p r i l F o o l s into good idea day. :P

EDIT: and 'c h a n g e s' into 'explodes'.

Which makes me glad that I tend to type April Fool's with an apostrophe.

I was expecting them to mess with the war or war prizes or whatever for April Fool's. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't, in fact. :(

I'm actually glad they didn't go over the top with April fool's stuff. And I'm glad they didn't do anything such as creating a fake obelisk prize shop or similar.

As for the survey the scene thing. I think it's just so people can see how they fared in the war (to check their 'doing your part' bar and if they missed grabbing any rewards [claiming, not acquiring]).

In the Battledome today, I saw a piece of errant code that said:

_gaq.push(["_trackEvent", "obelisk-war", "achievements-7-completed", "seekers"]);

Based on my rudimentary knowledge of Javascript, I think it means they are working on the prizes!

I spotted that bit of code as well, Lamppost.

"_gaq.push(["_trackEvent", "obelisk-war", "achievements-7-completed", "brutes"]);"

I was searching the TDN boards for someone else who saw it. We're that much closer to seeing the inside of the Obelisk and the revamped Tyrannia map!