Obelisk Battling Begins Again!

Well waffles, if you've played other MMORPGs, some have regular events where it's pretty much the same thing. First game that comes to my mind is called Shaiya. Every Saturday, there is something called the Guild Rank Battle. Get in the top 30 of guilds, and you can get some perks, top 10 and #1 is obviously better and the best. The field is the exact same every week, the monsters are the same, the bosses are the same. Once you have enough players to handle areas to clear out of monsters, you can really do some damage and gain lots of points for your guild. I've been in guilds ranked at #1, back when I played and had a computer that could handle the game. lol We had 1 hour to do as much damage as we could.

I've been theorizing for a bit now that these boon-skirmishes are something similar, to keep the battledome from becoming TOO stale, like the old one got to be between battle events.

There is no progress bar, imho because we are fighting for the boons. TNT said the site-event war is over. So most likely we won't get war points for these skirmishes. During the war, a progress bar with achievements and all, makes sense. So that people can't just join a faction and then freeload on the battles of others. In something like a faction ranking battle, as one might call this, I am guessing that it's raw numbers against raw numbers and the faction with the best win-record will be awarded the boons next.

Motivation is I think, the gaining of the Boons. Frankly, I don't wanna see doing this once a week. Nearly 4 days of battling to have the boon for 1 week is not good math imho. 1 hour or something, sure, but 4 days? Nah, not unless the boons were to last 3 weeks to a month. LOL

A lot of this has been speculation, based on experience with other games as well as my time on Neo. I've been right or partly right on several parts of the war. (Scour the forums if you wish lol) I'm also thinking that perhaps, the next round of boon-battles, might have different factions listed. As though THOSE are perhaps random. Again, speculation and theory.

We just need to see what TNT does with this first one, and then more theorizing can take place.. UNLESS they FINALLY give us a straight answer as to how things are going to work. ;)

I've been theorizing for a bit now that these boon-skirmishes are something similar, to keep the battledome from becoming TOO stale, like the old one got to be between battle events.

I agree, it seems likely that TNT is trying to come up with a way to keep the BD going between plots/events. I sort of wish they would've waited until it was fully functional, though.

There is no progress bar, imho because we are fighting for the boons. TNT said the site-event war is over. So most likely we won't get war points for these skirmishes. During the war, a progress bar with achievements and all, makes sense. So that people can't just join a faction and then freeload on the battles of others. In something like a faction ranking battle, as one might call this, I am guessing that it's raw numbers against raw numbers and the faction with the best win-record will be awarded the boons next.

Yeah, TNT has already flat-out said that we definitely won't get any more points. If there was a bar, I was thinking it would probably serve as some sort of baseline level of participation, so that people couldn't join, play one battle, and get the boons. However, I think just putting up daily scores so we can see which factions are ahead might be motivating enough for some. The problem, at least for me, is that having no direction as to what's going on makes it tough to decide how much to endure.

A lot of this has been speculation, based on experience with other games as well as my time on Neo. I've been right or partly right on several parts of the war. (Scour the forums if you wish lol) I'm also thinking that perhaps, the next round of boon-battles, might have different factions listed. As though THOSE are perhaps random. Again, speculation and theory.

I would bet you're right on this, too, based on their reply to the disappointed Awakened member in the Editorial.

We just need to see what TNT does with this first one, and then more theorizing can take place.. UNLESS they FINALLY give us a straight answer as to how things are going to work. ;)

It'll be interesting to see what happens this time, since it will tell us if there's anything on the table other than the boons, and it will give us an idea of how much we need to participate to make sure we get the benefits of being on the winning team. The boons are all right, and I'd take one, but it's a lot less appealing if that's all it is. TNT seems to have taken some sort of vow of secrecy surrounding that obelisk.

Even if they don't want to tip their hands about how they're calculating scores for each faction, a graphic that showed how close each was to the Obelisk would motivate people more, I think. Even an ugly ring or pie chart that was shaded to show the relative scores. It could be updated at midnight.

This is a new feature, though, and I'm sure TNT will tweak it based on feedback. I don't know if they'd shorten it since they want to appeal to all users in different timezones, but at least give us updates, or extend the length of the rewards, as Aquamentis mentioned. Or space out the battles a bit more (is once a month okay? are we just still a bit war-weary from the event?)...

I thought they'd be using this to disable the regular opponents and maybe bring the stances back. Or fix the heavy robe of thievery, which is now a completely useless (but expensive) trinket taking up a slot in my set. And of course fix the abilities used by the opponents.