Accio Harry Potter Fans!

Duskitty

I love the Harry Potter series i've read all the books but it was hard for me to read the last one since I didnt't want the series to end maybe JK Rowling could make a new series about all the peope from the series's children when they go to Hogwarts or something although I might be doing wishful thinking since it's been awhile since i read the series and i'm not sure if it would even be possibe for Voldemort to come back I can't exactly remember how he died in the book i've never watched the movies.

*poofs into board*

Yay a Harry Potter related board!

I am currently...re-re-re-re-re...ugh too many re's....lets just say I am going through the series for the millionth time (on book three right now)
It was my first novel and I have cherished it ever since and it still hasn't lost its charm even though I am much older.

To answer a question above.

My favorite character has to be Neville Longbottom, now hear me out. His whole life he has been nothing, but through it all he is still strong and has lived through some terrible things (his parents). Overall he just seams like a very well developed character to me and he definitely rises to the occasion when it is needed.

Least favorite character....lets see....how about Draco Malfoy? I hated that guy, through all the books. He was just a little weasel and always ALWAYS irked me as a child, a little less so anymore cause I see his antics as childish (of course).

• 7 months later...

Hopefully it's okay for me to still post in this thread (it's been more than six month, so I totally apologize if it's not), but I'm a huge Harry Potter nerd, I love them. I'm re-reading them (not sure what # time this is) in ebook format.

Favourite character: Hermione, Dumbledore, and Sirius.

Least favourite: Umbridge, and Snape.

• 3 months later...

I really love Harry Potter! When I was a child, it was my aunt buying me the third book and challenging me to read it that got me into reading real novels (I was always an advanced reader but up til then I had only read "chapter books"). Then when I had caught up (this was just before Goblet of Fire came out) I got LOTR at the time that first movie came out and the rest is history. I grew up following Harry's adventures, which is something I'm a little sad future generations won't get to do, what with the increasing maturity in each successive book meaning it won't scale with them as they age like it did for me and others of my peer group.

When Pottermore came out I jumped at the chance to be "officially" sorted and get a wand of course. I always identified more with Ravenclaw (as a lot of nerdy people do) but I got sorted into Slytherin. At that time in my life I had enough maturity and introspection to accept the fact, after thinking a little and really paying attention to the description of Slytherin provided. If Hermione can be a Gryffindor then there's no reason I couldn't be a Slytherin, right? I think Rowling really gave the Slytherins a raw deal with their portrayal in the books, given that her apparent idea of what Slytherin is supposed to be differs quite drastically from what's depicted.

who is everyone's least favorite and favorite character and why?

Well, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with some of the more...critical views of Ginny Weasley in this thread. In the beginning her character was understandable, but once she disappeared from the narrative and reappeared as the Woman of Harry's Dreams I didn't really buy it at all, even as a kid. Mind you, I don't think Harry should have wound up with Hermione or Cho or something, I just don't feel that Ginny's relationship with Ginny is very genuine or has any chemistry and it ALSO seems very weird from a Freudian viewpoint. MIND you, I'm not going to be rude and base my opinion of her entirely on her relationship with Harry; she's presented as this "sassy, powerful, strong female character" who can do no wrong which is all well and good but in a series with such very flawed and multifaceted characters I don't think it gels well. The most you could say is that she was shy and a little awkward around the object of her hero worship when she was 11-12 years old, but who wouldn't be at that age?

This also ties into my issues with the epilogue but we'll not open THAT can of worms.

When I was a child I always identified with Hermione because I know what it's like to be a bookish unlikable know-it-all who's not much to look at and a girl to boot. That said, maybe BECAUSE I identified with her, I can't really count her as my favorite character. I don't know if I do have a favorite, though, I have a hard time having favorites of anything. Maybe Ms. Figg? I like Draco as a character because as the series goes on you get to really see where he's coming from and how he changes (even if just a bit), but that's true of a lot of the characters (Dumbledore being another example). Sirius and Remus both are interesting and good people, and Dobby is definitely one of the ones that always sticks out in my mind. And who DOESN'T have affection for the Weasley clan as a whole?

Favorite: either Draco Malfoy or the Weasley Twins.

Least favorite: UMBRIDGE AND SNAPE

Also I kind of head canon Ginny to be transgender, MTF. And she was so close to the Twins because they were her first supporters and the first she told.

I am also on Pottermore (snidgetgalleon150) and I'm a Slytherin thru and thru (that's usually when I lose people cause of the fact that Rowling likes her duality and people all believe Slytherins to all be bad or evil), and you're right pulp Rowling gave them a raw deal.

Not to mention that you don't have to be in a certain House exactly because you have the qualities the House is described to have. But maybe because you aspire to have those traits (Hermione aspired to be brave and true, while holding the quality of being smart and witty). Which is also how Pettigrew ended up being in Gryffindor, he wanted to be brave but he continued to be a coward until his death.

Also I have a huge issue with how much they changed Ginny and Hermione (especially with regards to Hermione's personality as well as the appearance she never really cared about. 'Is that really what my hair looks like from the back?' was a huge slap in the face to someone who saw themselves in Hermione when they were little) in the movies while simultaneously expanding upon Draco's traits and showing him in the light many of the fans already saw him in (loyal to his parents, wanting to be someone they could be proud of, not wanting to hurt people even tho his father was a Death Eater).

I also have a huge love of Viktor Krum. I don't understand how ANYONE can hate him. He's very important to me because he's a small man who defies the Durmstrang stereotype. He is in my top 5 favorite characters, tbh.

Hufflepuff here!

Have been trying to answer the question who is my favourite but I keep coming up with Antonin Dolohov as my favourite and Padma Patil as my most hated character. Which makes no sense.

I've been following the Harry Potter Alternity for a couple of years now and Alternity is now my canon. (Never thought fan fiction could be better than the real thing, but Alternity is)

Trying to think of the book characters but everything is so mixed up with Alternity now that I can't separate them out. Oh well, when Alternity finishes (in 2015 *sobs* ) I will re-read the books again for the umpteenth time.

I really need to get back onto Pottermore, but it lags so much and makes my computer crash that I can only do it when I'm feeling very patient.

Antonin Dolohov is an unexpected choice for favorite. But then I guess so are mine.

It's because of Alternity where he's a pretty major character. Actually he's Headmaster at the moment. But Barty might die and that might send Tosha (Dolohov's nickname) completely over the edge and I can't wait for that to happen. Because then he might break his vow to Voldy and it will be amazing.

Yeah I'm fangirling over fanfiction but it is amazing fanfiction.

http://www.hpalternity.com/

I would link to an awesome post by Tosha to explain it but it's got swearing in it. (Only very few of the posts ever have swearing in them, if that's something people don't like. And it's only when no other words will really do. )

I've been following Alternity for nearly 2 years now. But it's now in it's 7th (and final year). If anybody is interested in it, I would highly recommend reading it in it's entirety from the very beginning. Yes, that's a lot of reading but it's worth it. The first half of the first year isn't that brilliant as the players/writers were still finding their feet with it. It gets really good by the third year.

I loved the books and the movies. But of course, the books are so much better than the movie!

I have enjoyed reading everything on here! And the pictures are just great! Thank you for posting them on here!

this just makes my heart smile! I don't particularly like Bellatrix, but I absolutely LOVE Helena Bonham Carter and the way she portrayed the character. the polyjuiced Hermione scene was one of my favorites in the movies =D kudos for your creative response also!

This made me laugh out loud. I read an interview about HBC as Bellatrix, and she said she loved acting that particular part in the movie...that she is Bellatrix pretending to be Hermione, pretending to be Bellatrix. LOVE IT!

Hello! A proud Hufflepuff here. (though I'm toeing the line between my current house and Ravenclaw, oops...)

My favourite character is hands down Luna Lovegood, because I identify with her to the point where sometimes I have trouble separating my personality with the bits that I know came from her. I've always been the sort of weirdo that believed in fairytales and such, to the point of actually blurring the lines between reality and... well, something that isn't considered reality. I remember not having friends until the fourth grade because my schoolmates thought I had some sort of mental illness. [Granted, I do, but not the one that they thought of. Anyway, digressing!] She's always been the kind of paradoxical cheerful yet calm and near-ethereal and serious, and I only have J.K. Rowling and Evanna Lynch to have Luna as my favourite. I suppose it's because she is the closest to whom I can identify as in the series, because I'm no Hermione or Cho or Ginny, but that doesn't mean I don't like them as well.

On the other hand, my least liked character is Severus Snape because of how much he's portrayed as a hero and how he deserves Lily or whatever good things they say about him, because I've only seen him as a bully. He would never have even bothered with Harry had he never had desires for Lily, and he simply doesn't deserve whatever praise he got for protecting Harry. Just... argh. I really don't like him at all. (Of course, there's also Umbridge and Death Eaters and other characters everyone else dislikes, but I'd just make too long a list for something nearly everyone knows.)

• 3 months later...

Just scrolling through the General Chat treads, and low-and-behold... A Harry Potter thread!

And I thought life couldn't get any better.

I've been a fan for 15 or so years now. My teacher read the first book to my class when I was 7 or 8. He got us to write our own version of the final chapter before he read it to us. I think that was part of the reason why i got in to it.

I've been sorted into Slytherin by Pottermore, but in reality I'm a Hufflepuff by nature. My username is Shadowlight16499. Feel free to add me if you like.

I tend to ship Draco and Hermione, but occasionally I will ship Harry and Hermione. Or if I'm feeling really adventurous, I will ship Hermione with Sirius or Remus.

Snape is my least favourite character. He is such a cruel being that doesn't deserve the Hero-worship that he gets. Also, Umbridge falls into this category, but that is just a given.

I have no idea how to finish off this post...

I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!

• 6 months later...

Have we discussed wands? Anyone with Pottermore accounts think their wand stats are interesting? 

I got a Larch wand, 13 3/4 inches, with a phoenix feather core, that's 'hard.' Apparently that means that I have a big/showy personality or style of magic (since my wand is almost the upper limit of "usual" wand length and I'm not THAT tall, though I am well above average for a woman in my country...) and not very changeable. The phoenix feather core is capable of a wide range of magic but is very hard to impress, will 'act on its own accord' more than other cores, and is in general a very finicky wand core.  A wand made of larch is also hard to impress and tricky to master, but instills courage and confidence in the wielder, and has hidden talents and unexpected effects. Sound familiar? Seems like Larch wood and dragon heartstring share a lot of qualities.

In other words: Me and my wand are stubborn and difficult and hard to impress (SO true it's not funny), but also independant, unpredictable (easy to underestimate, more than meets the eye, take your pick) and talented.

And I mentioned it when I first posted in this thread but I was sorted into Slytherin as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Haiiii :)      I love harry potter~!

I read the books at least once a year. Usually while I'm on airplanes I'll listen to the audio books. I am a gryffindor. I always knew I was. but back in the day when pottermore came out my closest friends (who are also HUGE HP fans) made me prove I was a gryffindor with the sorting hat quiz. and of course it said I was gryffindor :P  I  even rock a "hogwarts honor student" sticker on the back of my car haha. 

in 2010 my friends and I even planned to make a trip to florida to go to the wizarding world in orlando.  So in Jan 2011 we set off to see it and I got my 1st wand from Ollivanders :) . Now I know universal has a lot to offer. 2 parks even. but we spent our entire day inside of the HP area  :whaa:  So amazing. If you get the opportunity to visit Orlando or LA you gotta see it. I live in California not that far from the Universal Studios Hollywood, and now they are making the expansion there! Supposedly opening spring 2016. I saw bits of it while there for the halloween horror nights. It looks the same as florida. I'm pretty sure its exactly the same lol. But im still like "were getting season passes. and were camping out opening day..." LOL :woot:  so excited. 

• 4 weeks later...

Haiiii :)      I love harry potter~!

I read the books at least once a year. Usually while I'm on airplanes I'll listen to the audio books. I am a gryffindor. I always knew I was. but back in the day when pottermore came out my closest friends (who are also HUGE HP fans) made me prove I was a gryffindor with the sorting hat quiz. and of course it said I was gryffindor :P  I  even rock a "hogwarts honor student" sticker on the back of my car haha. 

in 2010 my friends and I even planned to make a trip to florida to go to the wizarding world in orlando.  So in Jan 2011 we set off to see it and I got my 1st wand from Ollivanders :) . Now I know universal has a lot to offer. 2 parks even. but we spent our entire day inside of the HP area  :whaa:  So amazing. If you get the opportunity to visit Orlando or LA you gotta see it. I live in California not that far from the Universal Studios Hollywood, and now they are making the expansion there! Supposedly opening spring 2016. I saw bits of it while there for the halloween horror nights. It looks the same as florida. I'm pretty sure its exactly the same lol. But im still like "were getting season passes. and were camping out opening day..." LOL :woot:  so excited. 

Yaaasss, I also usually go through the books once a year, and every time they're as magical as ever  <3

Help?

Saw this thread again and thought I would pop back onto pottermore for the first time in a few months to double check what my wand was. And also to duel and do potions because Hufflepuff is always at the bottom.

But it looks different and I can't find where to sign in! What's happened? I want to do potions! I can brew some polyjuice this week. 

What's happened?! 

Edit: 

It looks like it's gone forever! I had the best username ever as well! ThornWolf81. Wolves are my favourite animals and 81 is my lucky number so that was the perfect username! I got in during the beta period! So many days of trying and then I finally managed to find the magic quill and sign up! 

Well this sucks. Alternity has finished and Pottermore is no more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the movies growing up, and read the first 3 books when I was in 3rd grade. My friend is obsessed, so she finally made me read the books this summer. I finished all of them in 2 weeks!

I (luckily) got to go on Pottermore a few weeks before it was shut down. I mean it was cool and all, but after you got sorted and got your wand and such, it seemed kind of boring and mismatched to me. I liked the interactive stories though. ^.^

I'm really excited for the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie. Has anyone read the book? I haven't yet, but it's next up on my reading list!

Also, I have to agree that I really dislike snake... everyone loves him for his "Always" quote, but really he's just kind of a jerk. Even though he helps Harry, he enjoys bullying him the whole time as well. The only reason he helps Harry at all is because of Lily, but despite that he despises the kid. I never really understood why everyone made him out to be a hero. 

I watched the movies growing up, and read the first 3 books when I was in 3rd grade. My friend is obsessed, so she finally made me read the books this summer. I finished all of them in 2 weeks!

I (luckily) got to go on Pottermore a few weeks before it was shut down. I mean it was cool and all, but after you got sorted and got your wand and such, it seemed kind of boring and mismatched to me. I liked the interactive stories though. ^.^

I'm really excited for the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie. Has anyone read the book? I haven't yet, but it's next up on my reading list!

Also, I have to agree that I really dislike snake... everyone loves him for his "Always" quote, but really he's just kind of a jerk. Even though he helps Harry, he enjoys bullying him the whole time as well. The only reason he helps Harry at all is because of Lily, but despite that he despises the kid. I never really understood why everyone made him out to be a hero. 

I've read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, as well as the Quidditch book that came out at (or maybe it was around?) the same time.  It's a really fast read but pretty interesting.  I especially like the entries that cover different breeds of the same species and there's a bunch of stuff in there that I don't think was in the main series.

Also, Pottermore shut down?  Wow, I'm really out of the fandom loop...

It still exists, and it's pretty awesome. They just totally revamped it, it's much sleeker and they essentially changed the whole site. No more sorting, houses, etc, just lots of extra goodies and snippets for Potterheads.

It still exists, and it's pretty awesome. They just totally revamped it, it's much sleeker and they essentially changed the whole site. No more sorting, houses, etc, just lots of extra goodies and snippets for Potterheads.

Ah, okay.  So still a Pottermore, just a sort of different Pottermore.  I wonder why the change.  Snippets sound like the kind of thing that can be gotten off one of the major HP wikis, where as the House Cup was... well, that probably exists on fan sites as well.  Guess it wasn't doing much to draw back users who'd already read all the available behind-the-scenes stuff and weren't planning to come back until new info was released.