No self esteem...

Naamah D.

Hey guys, I'm having a very hard time with self esteem. I was watching E3 with my brother and I clapped when I found out there was a Mirror's Edge sequel and he said stuff on how I haven't even the beaten the game and how I can't even get past the first level.

Last time I played Mirror's Edge, I think I did very well. I work very hard at gaming and don't appreciate people acting like I'm a total noob all because I don't beat games. I have a lot of games and don't sell them because:

1. I'm a collector

2. I don't want to beat a game and then have nothing to do

3. I don't like to rush through a game on the highest difficulty and brag. I like to slowly enjoy it

Nobody takes me seriously when it comes to gaming. Maybe one or two people, but I serioulsy doubt it. Maybe if I was rail thin and licking a controller people would.

I'm a very modest person, but I'm not like those girls on the 3DS commercials stating that "They are not a gamer". Any advice?

EDIT: I'm not a noob to gaming. I've been playing since Pokemon Blue.

A) He's your brother. Of course he's going to tease and make fun of you. It's what brothers do. However, if he gets mean and malicious, it might be worth talking to him (or your parents) about. He may not know what he's saying is bugging you so much.

B ) There's no rules to "gaming." Despite what the "real" "gamers" (note how I hate these labels xD) say, games are made for you to have fun. You play at your pace, and you enjoy it. Why should you rush through it if you have no desire to, just because "they" think you should? You have fun playing the way you play, and that's all that matters.

C )Realize that these commercials and labels and images of "gamer girls" are completely ridiculous. It doesn't matter who you are, what you look like, what console you use, what games you like. Girls play games, guys play games, little kids play games, grandparents play games. Trying to "label" anything is just an attempt at making it feel exclusive, like only "certain" people have the "right" to do it. Hate to break it to them, but it really doesn't matter. You're life (hopefully) is not going to be defined by how fast you got to a certain level on a video game. If you're playing what you like and you enjoy it, who cares? If you want to buy the sequel, and never even open it, who's business is that of anyone but you?

A person can enjoy a game without being a pro or doing good at it. There is nothing wrong if you do not fare well with games. You can collect games as a hobby as well without ever playing them (yes I'm looking at you, my Steam stash... :shiftyeyes_anim: ).

Not all games are competitive. Depending on your personality, you might enjoy different types of games more than others. For example, I only play 100% single player games with minimum interaction with other players.

Also, like Emily said, it doesn't matter who you are there are no barriers to playing and enjoying video games. You should try to ignore the external stereotypes put on you. I think it's more important to cultivate your inner self than conforming to certain labels. Then again, this is only me personal opinion.

Yeah, if everyone you discuss it with looks down on you, then you're involved with the wrong people to begin with.

I mean what kind of troll looks down on someone because of how they spend their free time? Always keep the honour to yourself, if people talk down on you it's because they're insecure themselves and talking down on others make them feel superior.