Help with battledome in general

Hi! (in advance, I'm sorry this post is so large (._.) )

So, I recently got back into neopets with the goal to accumulate 1 million np.

One day, I suddenly found myself looking through the pound, and found myself a cute little Uni

at level 40. Suddenly, I found a desire to use the battledome. I spent all my money on equipment and soon I'd made 500,000 from selling codestones and neggs I'd gotten from the battledome. At this point though, I'd decided to upgrade a bit. However, I really can't decide what to get. Everything I read on guides are either too expensive, or I question whether or not it would be actually worth to buy, for the simple purpose of 1P. So I came here to ask 3 questions.

1. What equipment should I buy, in a budget of around 300-350k?

and

2. Keeping in mind that I want profit, should I invest in my pet by spending codestones to train?

and

3. Once I've gotten the gear, is there a reccomended challenger to fight in the battledome for neggs/codestones/map pieces/etc?

My Equipment at this point is

1. Scroll of the Scholar

2. Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer

3. Green Frost Cannon

4. Golden Compass

5. Parchment Cloak

6. Downsize!

7. Parasol of Unfortunate Demise

8. Lesser Healing Scroll

Abilites

Static Cling

Shade

Positive Thinking

An Icicle

Stats

Uni

Hit points: 61

Attack: 36

Defense: 25

Agility: 31

Intelligence: 153

Hi SkyDomino, let me see if I can address some of your questions.

First off, have you read through some of our articles on beginning in the dome?

They can pretty much all be found here...

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/index/

These two articles would probably be best for you.

Equipment under 500k

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/under-500k/

And a general basic equipment sets artcile.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/basic-weapon-sets/

Both should be considered guidelines imho. They've got really good suggestions, but you never know if there's something that might not've made the cut that you might prefer. ;)

Reading weapon reviews is always a good idea. Raters usually try to offer alternatives in weapons reviews.

Here is an article about training, various methods and where to train.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/fast-training/

I would recommend saving any and ALL codestones you get from the battledome. You may not be able to use the red ones yet, but if you stockpile the ones you win, you can be ready and save yourself a LOT of NP in the future! :D

Here is the last article I'm going to recommend. It shows the stat boost levels for Offense and Defense. As well as the damage multiplier at each of the boost levels.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/battle-strength-defense-boosts/

Depending on what type of build you want your pet to have, I personally recommend the balanced build, keeping offense and defense at the same boosts.

If you'd like to do that, you should work on your defense up to 35, so that it's even with your strength boost. Then you might consider a Leaf Shield, but Only if you do decide to train defense.

If you get your defense boost to match your offense boost and combine a leaf shield with your Golden Compass, you can battle Jelly Chia without risking a load of damage. ;)

I've got one more article, I guess I was wrong before. LOL Jelly Chia guide.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/jelly-chia/ You can see what I mean, most of his attacks are water and earth, though with the Evil Snowball, he can do some dark damage, Leaf Shield and a dual duty like Golden Compass, are really useful with this challenger.

I battled Jelly chia a LOT to collect a lot of his prize Data, and it was pretty decent most of the time, as far as regular and red codestones, as well as bottled faeries go. Beating him can also award some nifty stamps that are worth a nice chunk of NP. (Jelly World and Jelly Pops) for example. Selling those would give you a nice profit margin, or at least allow you to train more or buy better gear.

Yes, please take a look at all of the guides that Aquamentis recommended. We have them there so you can learn from them!

To answer your questions:

1. What equipment should I buy, in a budget of around 300-350k?
Your current set is probably sufficient for your pet. You have 3 constants (Scroll of the Scholar, Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer, and Golden Compass), 2 shields (Parchment Cloak and Parasol of Unfortunate Demise), 1 freezer (Green Frost Cannon), 1 healer (Lesser Healing Scroll) and Downsize!. That's a great distribution.

If you're looking to upgrade, you could get a better freezer. I find that a freezer with anything less than 50% chance of freezing just isn't worth taking up a weapon spot to see if it will freeze. Randomly Firing Freeze Ray is a 50% freezer at a reasonable price tag. You could also go for a Scroll of Freezing, but it is fragile, and statistically it will break 1 in 5 times, so you'll be spending the NP on it a lot. For something cheaper, consider Snowglobe Staff. It's cheaper than the others, and while it only freezes 20% of the time, that's still more than your cannon.

Another option to upgrade is to get rid of your Golden Compass. This was a weapon that served me well for a long time, but now there are just plain better weapons out there. Golden Compass only defends against dark icons, and only does 9 icons of attack (same as the Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer). Unless you're fighting an opponent that deals a lot of dark icons, I think you're better off selling this weapon and using the funds to train. (See next point.)

Finally, you could upgrade your healer to the Greater Healing Scroll to go further in battles. However, your pet's HP are low enough that you probably don't need to upgrade yet, especially if you'd rather save the NP.

2. Keeping in mind that I want profit, should I invest in my pet by spending codestones to train?
YES!!! If you're serious about battling, you should definitely train. Training is, in my opinion, more important than spending money on weapons, since training helps determine how much damage your pet does or blocks with the weapons they have. And in most cases, training is more cost-effective.

For example, right now your pet has a strength boost of 1.5. If you were to use your Scroll of the Scholar and your Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer, your two strongest attack weapons, at the same time, your maximum damage to your opponent would be (10 icons + 9 icons) x 1.5 boost = 28.5 damage. You could decide you want to do more damage and spend 1.75 million NP to upgrade your weaker weapon to a Dr. Sloths Personal Bath Buddy. Now your maximum damage is (10 icons + 14 icons) x 1.5 boost = 36 damage. On the other hand, instead of upgrading your weapon, you could train up to the next strength boost at 55. Your pet is currently Level 40, so to increase your strength to 55, it will cost you 38 codestones. Assuming codestones on average cost 7k NP, that means training to the next strength boost would cost you around 266,000 NP. Now your maximum damage is (10 icons + 9 icons) x 2 boost = 38 damage. You spent only 13% of the NP of upgrading your weapon, and you're actually doing more damage.

Even if you were to consider just your strongest weapon, assuming you use one constant and one shield in a turn, training is more cost-effective. Upgrading your weapon to the DSPBB would mean your damage was 14 icon x 1.5 boost = 21 damage. Training would mean your damage was 10 icons x 2 boost = 20 damage. This time, training is causing less damage, but it's only 1 point of damage. You could train up to the next boost with the NP you saved, and then it would do more damage.

Defense works similarly. You'll get more use out of your shields if you have a higher defense boost.

3. Once I've gotten the gear, is there a reccomended challenger to fight in the battledome for neggs/codestones/map pieces/etc?
We've found that most challengers have the opportunity to give out codestones and bottled faeries. In my experience, the challengers in the Dome of the Deep give codestones more frequently, especially the Koi Warrior, but other battlers will recommend different opponents. I've heard the premium opponents in the Cosmic Dome give the best prizes (codestones, Nerkmids, etc.) but they aren't an option for everyone since not all users have premium.

Wow, I don't even know what to say! You guys have my eternal gratitude 0_0

I didn't expect for you both to spend that much effort trying to help me, thank you :)

That's what we're here for! :) If you have any other questions, please ask. There are some battlers around here who aren't on staff who can also offer helpful advice. Good luck!

Wow, I don't even know what to say! You guys have my eternal gratitude 0_0

I didn't expect for you both to spend that much effort trying to help me, thank you :)

Yeah! Like Lamppost said, that's what we're here for. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your battling! :D If you decide to battle any of the other 1-player challengers, please check out our page on the active challengers for their stats, abilities and weapons.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/index/

If you wish to take part in the post Obelisk War skirmishes. To find the stats for THOSE challengers, Near the top of the page I just linked you to with Active Challengers, there is a dropdown menu. Click on it, and then click on the Oblisk War, and voila!

You can only battle the 2 factions available of the skirmish each time the battling starts anew. You also have to choose a faction of the 3 (random) factions offered. To get a better idea what faction MAY win, you can check out both the Neoboards, and our Obelisk War forums here..

http://www.tdnforums.com/index.php?/forum/119-obelisk-war/

Also, to check on the status of when war will break out again, how much time to choose a faction and how much time remains to battle, each of these stages the time remaining can be observed here.

http://www.neopets.com/prehistoric/battleground/

To reach this place, go to the Battledome's main page.

http://www.neopets.com/dome/

And look at the text at the top of the page under the topbar.

The frenzy of war can take its toll. Return to your faction leader if you need guidance.

Return to your faction leader is the link to click to get to the Battlegrounds.

I recommend getting your prize-battles done against other opponents. These post-Obelisk War skirmishes are held in Tyrannian's Ugga-Dome, the prizes they gave during the war were not very good. So battle someone like Jelly Chia, or whomever, in another dome, and then after you've gotten your max of 15 prizes for the day, go after the skirmish battles for whichever faction(s) you choose.

Wow, for just a "wishing you good luck" post, this got long! LOL

Best of luck with your battles! :D

Upgrade to a second Scroll of the Scholar, or even of the Fool. Drop the heavy hammer, but make sure you foot is out of the way.

The parasol must be relegated to a situation weapon. While a full light blocker is excellent for two player, in one player light is not that common. Without light, you're left with a poor water and earth blocker. I'd suggest Sophie's Magic Hat or Patched Magic Hat,depending upon analysis of what your current 1-player opponent is holding.

The Green Frost Cannon, (IMHO+120 CC hours USAF military strategy + and an Eagle on my collar [ANG only]), is worthless.

With 4ish attack icons, and a 1/6th chance of freezing; you must compare it against a constant attack of an 11 icon weapon. You have a 50% chance of freezing after three rounds, you've done 12 icons of worth of damage during those three rounds and now what?

Even if you have 15 icon muffin, this gives us after 4 round 3*4+15=27 base damage. If instead you'd attacked the same four rounds a scroll of the scholar, than you'd have done 44 base units of damage.

Yes, there is the battlefield scenario where you've against a stronger opponent, and you hope that the dice will roll in your favor and get that quick freeze to win the battle. Well, as my Colonel said before Reagan's spook squad claimed he was morally unfit to serve (P.S. I hate Reagan). Anyway, he used to say gambling is for Vegas, not for the battlefield or the bedroom.

Anywho, get either a snowglobe staff or just forget about a freezer. Instead of the freezer, stock a 15 icon muffin.