Better Than You

Novelista

(If a thread or article about this already exists, I apologize...that means the search features are failing me!)

I'm surprised there's no article about "Better Than You". I'd like to know what time the contest opens each Wednesday, so that I can have a chance at a gold trophy. It looks like what trophy you get isn't based on your score, but how soon you beat each week's challenger.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

I think the contest opens when the news comes out on Wednesdays. The news doesn't always come out at the same time, but it's usually around 2 PM NST or so. You have to be one of the first 10 people to beat the challenger to get a gold trophy, so it's really a challenge.

There are some games that happen more often than others; I know some people play several games with fairly high scores open in several tabs, ready to send, in case they luck out and one is the chosen game. Or maybe they just happened to be playing and sent their score right after the game was released (I've seen people get the trophy within minutes of the announcement in a game that takes 20+ minutes to play before).

I've managed to get Bronze a few times now; sometimes the bronze spaces will still be open for 5-12 hours (or more).

I've managed to get Bronze a few times now; sometimes the bronze spaces will still be open for 5-12 hours (or more).

Oh, I have silver. (I don't know how...guess I got lucky one night.) But you know...onward and upward. ^_^

Congrats on your silver!

I was 2 spaces away from silver a few weeks ago. Forget gold; I'm still trying to get silver! I even started that one fairly close to release. Sadly, I'm often not near a computer on Wed. when the news is released.

The only guides I've found say you need to preplay (and guess lucky) to get gold, and that new games are often featured as the BTY challenge (though how often are new games released?)

• 2 weeks later...

Kou-jong this week. I don't think I'll even attempt that one, I've heard not so good things about how hard it is.

Actually, it depends on what level you do. Easy is rather--well--easy, if you're used to standard mahjong. Medium is the one I play the most, I think...it offers a nice challenge that will keep you going for a while. Hard is nuts. I've had to start and restart a lot on the second phase. I've gotten to the final phase maybe once? It tends to give me a brain overload if I play in hard too long.

I'm very good at classic Mahjong, but Kou-Jong is terrible because they make us lose everything if we get stuck with tiles that can no longer be used :(

The game doesn't penalize you for resetting a stage, though. It can get pretty frustrating, coming down to six tiles and having to reset multiple times, but at least you don't lose any points for it. I doubt I'll beat the challenge this week, but I already have the avatar, so I'm not fussed about it.

The game doesn't penalize you for resetting a stage, though. It can get pretty frustrating, coming down to six tiles and having to reset multiple times, but at least you don't lose any points for it.

What? Of course you do, if you reset the game you lose all points! At Kou-Jong, at least. Not at the original Mahjong, I suppose.

What? Of course you do, if you reset the game you lose all points! At Kou-Jong, at least. Not at the original Mahjong, I suppose.

No, when you click the reset button, it resets the points you've earned in that particular stage, the timer, and the hints you've used in that stage. The points you've earned from previous levels are left intact. Read TDN's guide for more information if you're having trouble.

I somehow managed to get a high enough score a couple of weeks ago on spinicles and got the better than you trophie in bronze

I would love to get silver and will keep looking to see if I can do it but I dont expect to get it, there are such a lot of clever games people out there so they deserve it.

I had a go at the Kou-Jong one this time and didnt even get close, but was playing on hard, after what was said above it sounds like I should have played on easy.

I got bronze a while ago when there was Tubular Kiko Racing. So long I waited for a game I was good in because I wanted that avvie and that trophy but whenever there was one I always came a bit too late when the contest was already over. And then there was this game - I knew that the few times I would have had something above the required score for Better than you was just after a lot of practice and I haven't played it for months but I still needed to give it a try and then I even beat my own highscore.

• 2 years later...

I was wondering this same thing the other day! It sucks that it has to be the first ten people, some of have to work and that just doesn't seem fair ya know? It sucks! I feel your pain :D </3