What qualifies as a junk item?

FurorPaxx

I was looking around the Trading Post for some interesting deals and noticed that someone was trading ten cheap items with the warning that people who offered junk would be blocked. The total Shop Wizard value of the items couldn't have been 100NP.

Frankly, I think the seller/trader was trying to pressure people into offering more than what the items were worth, but it made me wonder, what makes an item junk? Obviously 1NP items are junk, but are 10NP items junk? 50NP? 100NP? Is junk based on a specific SW value, or might it have something to do with the types of items that are on the Pack Rat Avatar list (as in the cheapest 1000 items at any given time)?

Is there a list of junk items, even an unofficial one?

I don't think there is a specific list of items that are junk. Anything that is 1NP clearly is, and I would classify most stuff you get out of dailies (the Lost Desert food from Coltzan/Fruit Machine, Omelettes and Jelly), most of the cheap Spooky Food, etc.

I think, when it comes down to it, it really depends on what the item in question is. If it's an expensive item, a codestone could be considered junk because the values are nowhere near each other.

Generally, when someone says "junk" they mean low-value, no-use items. Most of the things you get from fishing for example, or non-wearable clothes or gift items. Food is not generally considered junk, as it's, well, food, and therefore has a use. (Gross food is the exception here as most people refuse to feed it to their pets, negating it's intended use)

In the case of that person, I'd say it's likely they were after NP and a food item, as opposed to NP and a soggy box or something. However, they could just be mimicking the rest of the TP, where "no junk or you'll be blocked!!" is a frequent threat that has no real substance behind it, since everyone has their own definition of junk.

Thanks for the weigh in, guys.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Seems pretty clear the person trading those items was either dumb or trying to be a scammer. Who searches the Trading Post for items that cost under 100np?? You'd use the Shop Wizard.

But to answer your question - there's no official definition of the word 'junk' - it means different things to different people. To me, anything under about 100np is junk, but to a newbie, something worth 5np might be worth having... When someone says 'no junk' on the TP, they basically mean 'don't offer items that are worth way less than what I'm selling'.

I would agree with The Bandit that 'junk' is a subjective term and it's definition can slightly vary among users. I think generally, a lot of the daily items, like Anime said, especially those with no value and no use would be agreed upon as junk by anyone. However, when there is a value to an item, it would depend on the player's net worth as to what price an item would no longer be junk to them, which I would think is why there is no official list of junk items. For example, if someone doesn't even have 100K in the bank, something that costs 50 or 100NP may be worth selling. On the other hand, if someone has 100 million in the bank, something that costs 1000NP may not be worth their time anymore. Then you get those people who will put anything in their shop because every NP counts.

• 9 months later...

Then you get those people who will put anything in their shop because every NP counts.

*is one of those people*

I think of anything under 5NP that cannot be used as food, to eat, for healing, or worn (except for the Pile of Dung - who thought that THING should be a wearable?!) is junk.

• 3 months later...

I wonder if they said no junk items because they were clearing out their junk and were hoping to get one item back or pure neopoints..perhaps it was supposed to be a trade for people going for packrat stuff

why you wouldnt just shove it all in your shop is the big question?? but the TP is full of odd stuff I find

I discard/donate the majority of items I get from dailies and also from battledome. I used to battle the Jelly Chia for our battledome stats project (contact me for more info heehee) and I would get Blueberry Jelly Hot Dogs from it that were priced around 800np on the shop wizard. The problem with that is that it's just a plain food item and not even a kad item or anything. So I would discard/donate items like this when I know it's just a pain to keep around and won't sell. I don't see the point in it taking up space in my shop when shop space gets so expensive so quickly!

I did get my rubbish avatar recently so no more discarding food items and such anymore :P

When I see that on the TP I think they mean dung, soggy boxes, rotten shoes, etc. I hate when people offer those items on my trades, I know they have to pick a random item to offer, but I hate the trashy junk items.