How to start collecting

Tenshinohana

Hi!

So, I've been thinking a while, that I'd like to start a collection - start collecting stuff in my gallery. I haven't decided what I'd start to collect, so that's one thing I have to figure out. ^^

But I was wondering...

There are guides how to use galleries, of course, but do you guys have any tips for those who want to start a collection? Like, for example, how do you find out how many items you miss from your collection? Can you find a list of items somewhere? If I understand correctly, the search function won't show expensive items like paint brushes... But PB's can be found at the Rainbow Pool and here on TDN, but I was wondering like if there's a list of normal items. What if I wanted to collect strawberry items?

So, what are your tips in these things? And perhaps, what item(s) you should start collecting? "Collect something you like" is an obvious answer to this question, but any additional tips?

Currently, the database to use is Jellyneo's Item Database. It's a comprehensive list of all Neopets items and you can search by multiple fields, including items with the name "strawberry." :) I'm not sure about any other item databases around at the moment. Jellyneo's is definitely the most-used.

For my gallery I used Jelly neo's database to know what items I had to get, made a nice spreadsheet out of it and keep it updated by checking the news for newly released petpets. (That's what I'm collecting.)

Why did I start collecting them? Well, I can't see them as pictures or items, my SDB is for items, I didn't feel okay with the idea that pets for my pet were stuck in a safe. Uncared for, so the idea for my gallery was to build a garden for them to play in. (If you ever watched the early Pokemon's, it would be like Prof. Oak's research garden)

In the end it got so big I turned it into a zoo with all their "own habitats".

Others just adore a certain pet and collect anything that even remotely has anything to do with it, or they love a theme and collect everything that has to do with that.

Strawberry themed would be cool. You could search for items with strawberry in the name (or description), ask around if there are items about strawberry without it being in the name, check the news, etc.

Another source could be look up galleries that have some of the most expensive items you want to collect... and that might give you more ideas of other items to get. For instance, I visited 2 well known Wocky galleries 2 weeks ago and got another 30-40 "needed" items for mine that way.

Also, some people collect objects for their names (e.g. contains Wocky in the name item), but others will expand it to characters and even on the pictures ON the item.

Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) JellyNeo's items database! I really rely on it for my balloon gallery. I would recommend using both the name search and the description search - since sometimes there will be an item that doesn't have, say, "strawberry" in its name, but does have that keyword in the description.

I suggest you try to go for a creative theme. One of my favorite gallery themes I saw was "Things with Strings." I wish I was that clever...

Another suggestion I heard when I was starting out was to look through a database like JellyNeo's and start marking things that you like, and then see if they fall into a common theme. My gallery theme came from me picking out my favorite Neopian items, like the Completely Non-Lethal Sandwich. I thought it was so hilarious that I built the rest of my theme around it.

Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) JellyNeo's items database! I really rely on it for my balloon gallery. I would recommend using both the name search and the description search - since sometimes there will be an item that doesn't have, say, "strawberry" in its name, but does have that keyword in the description.

Oh boy, can you believe that I had NEVER noticed the description search option?! That's gonna help me so much, thank you!!!

Oh boy, can you believe that I had NEVER noticed the description search option?! That's gonna help me so much, thank you!!!

No problem! I would also recommend coming up with a short list of related words that you can search for potential gallery items - like I said above, I collect balloons and balloon-related items, so for example I also run searches for items with "birthday"/"party"/"anniversary"/etc.

I'm starting to think about four different options for my gallery:

• An Uni themed gallery
  • Peophin themed gallery
  • Pony gallery (the two above combined ;D)
  • Faerie gallery (Not everything with the word "faerie" in it; I was thinking more of the lines "water faerie, dark faerie" and that kind of stuff. Kinda "the stuff they used to own" kind of idea.)

I'm pretty much torn between these two (pony and faerie), since I'd want my gallery to be original in its own way, and I just don't feel like either one of these really get to that point...

I was thinking of a Moon themed gallery, but there weren't enough items I saw as gallery material :/ (But instead of that would be interesting to put up a light faerie gallery, tho...)

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the tips, they really helped!

A faerie gallery could get expensive fast, just a warning! Many of those faerie-related items are Hidden Tower-level.

A moon gallery could be really cute, actually - you could always start expanding and adding star/space items once you got every moon item collected. And don't forget the always-adorable Astronomer Usuki!